Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2013, 12:43 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Question New Road King Shocks ~ Anyone try?

I was just at the FMCA rally in Indio and drove a 2008 Magna with the original Road King shocks and was very impressed. The vendor happened to be at the show and they are now rolling out a 3" shock they promise to be even more of a game changer.

While they are certainly more expensive than other shocks, they seem to make a lot of sense.

I'm really curious if anyone else has tried either the current version or the "new & improved" 3" version and what your impressions were.

Cheers!

Mark
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
I was just at the FMCA rally in Indio and drove a 2008 Magna with the original Road King shocks and was very impressed. The vendor happened to be at the show and they are now rolling out a 3" shock they promise to be even more of a game changer.

While they are certainly more expensive than other shocks, they seem to make a lot of sense.

I'm really curious if anyone else has tried either the current version or the "new & improved" 3" version and what your impressions were.

Cheers!

Mark
I did a lot of research my self and considered them, For me, Money is No object if they do what they are suppose to do the way I want them to.

But after talking with them I wouldn't buy tooth picks from them.

They did not know what shock fit my FRED, Pretty simple since there are only 2 part numbers that fit FRED, One Front and One Rear Part number.

They wanted me to call the dealer and get OEM numbers
They wanted me to Email them my info so the can call me back for a credit card number.
They did not tell me anything about the shock or what they had to offer even when directly asked.
They did tell me how much they cost though.

So I hung up and orderd Koni FSDs for less than half he cost and everyone Raves about them.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #3

The press release on this can be found here: Road king shock absorbers press release
MarkofSJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #4

I have the original version on my '02 Intrigue and think they are great. I was talked into the Koni FSD's and after 20K miles they were shot and no better than the shocks I took off. I considered them a waste of $$. The RK shock is built for heavy coaches like the Country Coach.

They are expensive but in my opinion worth it. They have something like a 300,000 mile warranty and if needed, they can be rebuilt
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #5
laj

Put them on mine 2 yrs. ago. Was told by RK they had a lifetime warranty on them. I think they are great. Wouldn't have anything else.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #6

I will be buying a set next month, I can hardly wait as the ones on it now are shot....lots of money for a po boy but I am hoping they are worth it....
1992 Country Coach Magna 300 hp Cummins 4 speed Allison, 113,000 miles, Coach #4904.."Ramblin'" Rosie
benford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #7

Had I been able to talk to Lonnie Woods I may have bought a set his salesmen is a tool.

Ted.
Old 01-16-2013, 08:41 AM   #8
laj

Most are. You have to remember you only deal with a salesman a short period of time. The rest is the company and the product.
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #9

Pleased with the RK's on our Allure. Good handling. Would do again if getting a different coach.
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:20 PM   #10

I have and 04 Allure, were the road king shocks a big improvement over the stock shocks.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:37 PM   #11

Yes Larry they were. The 04 Allures came stock with Koni Adjustabl SP1 generation shocks. Mine were set on level one when we bought it use two + years ago with less the 13K miles.

Front end bottomed out, and the coach would porpose. Set fronts to level 5, and not much improvement. Koni themselves said the shocks were undersized for the job. They tried to tell CC this, but the then owners National wanted CC's to ride real soft.

I added the RK's and Super Steer Motion Control Units. These two work well with each other, and the coach ride is very stable. Funny to say this, but on S curves, the rig 'sets' very quick, with very little side to side sway.

Best of luck,
Smitty
04 Allure High Cascade 40' Tag
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by laj View Post
Most are. You have to remember you only deal with a salesman a short period of time. The rest is the company and the product.
No confidence, No sale!
Old 01-27-2013, 07:12 PM   #13

Best money I ever spent. My coach handles so much better. The coach used to porpoise every time I went over a dip, even a small one, and just generally didn't handle well. Now once again it's a pleasure to drive.....

Dick
Bigd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM   #14

I met Lonnie at the Indio FMCA rally in 2012 and bought the RoadKings expecting a great improvement in the ride. He said something that struck me, "most these coaches are underdamped" and that is what mine feels like. $2000 later and I still feel it is underdamped. I still get a lot of sway and porpoising. I know I am a minority opinion but after 1 year and about 6ooo miles, that is how I feel. I don't know what else can be done and I don't want to spend more money on this issue.

Jim Boguslaw
07 Country Coach Tribute
Jim Boguslaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks