Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2012, 05:10 PM   #1

New to all this!

Hi all, I and my wife are new here and to rv ownership. We are driving tomorrow to look at and possibly purchase a 2004 inspire devinci CC. I have looked at it once but my much better half has not seen it in person yet. Anything i should be looking at with this coach that may not be so visible to the eye. Coach is in great shape appearance wise and everything seems to be working properly. It is being sold by a private seller so no stealer advise there. It has 52,000 miles and seems to have been properly maintained. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
RICK
PAVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I and welcome to the forum!

I'll leave CC specific input to those experts but wanted to welcome you.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:14 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Rick,
First welcome to the site and good luck with your purchase if that what happens. Since you are buying from a private person, ask them if they have any type of extended warranty that can be transferred. If not, Good Sam has a program for repairs among others..You also might be wise to have the vehicle looked over by a repair business. Just to get an idea if they can spot anything that might be going bad and need repair. Most people that buy used vehicles know that things that work today...can break the next day.
Dave 430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:35 PM   #4

Welcome!
There are some great posts on here about buying used RVs. You should search and read! Great info!
Old 05-19-2012, 06:53 AM   #5

KZ RV Club
We laugh now about how little we knew when our 06 Intrigue was delivered to us. Some of the stuff we should have caught and had them fix, but some of it you'd need to be an expert to catch. The dry rot in the coach was hard to see, but as soon as the people at OMC sniffed the cupboards and came out coughing it was obvious that they could tell. Look for drip stains around light fixtures (I DID see that and convinced myself it was a minor drink spill. Until it came back with the next rain.), musty smell, stains in the carpet near the door or seams. Feel the walls as far as possible near the windows. If there is ANY softness I would reconsider the coach unless it's an amazing price.

52K miles is not bad in a diesel, in fact it at least means that it has been run. Not knowing where you're located I can't suggest someone to inspect it (anywhere near Junction City OR I'd ask OMC or the CC factory to help me), but if we ever got another coach, I would definitely ask an expert to inspect it for me.
Old 05-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
I do not remember for certain, but some CC of that vintage had the dry PTO problem. The power take off from the transmission fed the power steering system would fail due to lack of lubrication.

There is a wet kit that can be installed for less than $1,000 which eliminates the problem. When the PTO fails the steering function gets real funky at speed.

With 52,000 miles, I would suspect the problem has been corrected, if it ever existed.

Many DP do not use the PTO arrangement but instead have a separate engine driven hydraulic pump.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I do not remember for certain, but some CC of that vintage had the dry PTO problem. The power take off from the transmission fed the power steering system would fail due to lack of lubrication.

There is a wet kit that can be installed for less than $1,000 which eliminates the problem. When the PTO fails the steering function gets real funky at speed.

With 52,000 miles, I would suspect the problem has been corrected, if it ever existed.

Many DP do not use the PTO arrangement but instead have a separate engine driven hydraulic pump.
I'm not the expert on this, but, I believe the 04 Inspire with Cummins power is exempt from the problem. I think it is limited to the CAT powered units???

I did put the wet kit on mine, $ well spent in my opinion.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:19 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
We just bought a sister unit ourselves. Congrats if you proceed.

If the coach has dark colored paint look for areas where the subsurface has cracked. This issue was common during this vintage of coaches made by a number of manufacturers. Also make sure the radiator and intercooler are not leaking as they are aluminum and can fail with fatigue over time. Lastly I would find out if the tranny has been serviced, since it is about due and with the proper fluid it costs about $400 for the complete (filters, etc.) service.

Welcome to the forum.
colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote