Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2018, 09:44 AM   #1

New to Forum and Solar Panel Question

Hello All,
Erik here. Bought a Country Coach last year. 2006 Inspire 360 Davinci 40 foot. Got it with 12,000 miles on it. Previous owner used it as an office at job sites.

What a year. Previous owner replaced the windshield last year (it would not pass inspection here in Maryland because of a small crack). Upgraded the Satellite TV, the old one was not working. Replaced the toilet, radio (top blue tooth and satellite) all house batteries, last year. Replaced the water pump last week and put a flat screen in the bed room.

Current project: I got 10 HQST-100P solar panels

https://www.hqsolarpower.com/100W-12.../hqst-100p.htm

I have a ML2440 charge controller

https://www.abctech.cz/img.asp?attid=87466

I am thinking of running the SP's in paired series (making the pair 24V) and then 5 pairs of parallel to the Charge Controller. Convert house batteries from 12V to 24V. I can do this if the inverter can be switched to 24 volts. Not sure it can be, I am still researching.

So, I got these in trade and I think can make all this work. I tried to search under solar panels under country coach but could not find an existing thread. If I missed it, I apologize in advance.

So has anyone installed SP on your coach? If so ...any suggestions. I have some ideas.

Thanks and hope everyone is having a great day!
Erik
EriKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EriKJ View Post
Hello All,
Erik here. Bought a Country Coach last year. 2006 Inspire 360 Davinci 40 foot. Got it with 12,000 miles on it. Previous owner used it as an office at job sites.

What a year. Previous owner replaced the windshield last year (it would not pass inspection here in Maryland because of a small crack). Upgraded the Satellite TV, the old one was not working. Replaced the toilet, radio (top blue tooth and satellite) all house batteries, last year. Replaced the water pump last week and put a flat screen in the bed room.

Current project: I got 10 HQST-100P solar panels

https://www.hqsolarpower.com/100W-12.../hqst-100p.htm

I have a ML2440 charge controller

https://www.abctech.cz/img.asp?attid=87466

I am thinking of running the SP's in paired series (making the pair 24V) and then 5 pairs of parallel to the Charge Controller. Convert house batteries from 12V to 24V. I can do this if the inverter can be switched to 24 volts. Not sure it can be, I am still researching.

So, I got these in trade and I think can make all this work. I tried to search under solar panels under country coach but could not find an existing thread. If I missed it, I apologize in advance.

So has anyone installed SP on your coach? If so ...any suggestions. I have some ideas.

Thanks and hope everyone is having a great day!
Erik

Erik,

Never heard of this before. I can think of dozens of reason not to convert your house system to 24v but I can't think of one reason to do that. All of your 12v equipment inside and outside the motor home would have to be converted to 24v. That includes the chassis battery, engine starter, generator starter, and the relays installed around the motor home. The SmartWheel controller, the Intellitec system, all the light bulbs, and on and on. And as you mentioned the inverter/charger would have to be replaced. You would be looking a thousands of dollars to accomplish this.

Please give us your thoughts on why you would want to do this.

Thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 12:52 PM   #3

Lots of nice mod's on your coach. Fun making it yours, and setting it up for what you want to do with it.

Suggest you post this question in the Going Green section, or ask the Amin to move it for you. Many more Techie Dude's an Dudete's read that section.

A few quick thoughts:

-Sort of very loose rule of thumb, is a yield of about 6Amps per 100W of solar. (+ or - say 2A based upon wiring efficiency, and other losses from the panels to the batteries. But say somewhere between 50-75Amps output in single panel (Non Paired) install. This makes me wonder if your MPPT is up to the task of handling the bank of solar panels?

-I like the 5 pairs of 2 orientation. As that way you yield higher output potential, but only lose some of the power due to partial shading of one panel. I feel it's a good trade off.

-We have 48V Sharp/Panasonic 240W PANELS, X's 5, for 1250W. I kept all of mine as single feeds. The MPPT (A MidNite Classic 150, can handle 96A (Even with a smaller the ideal gauge output wire to teh battery.) I did leave our in the 12V feed output to our bank. Could you go to a 24V, yes, but doubt you'll find that you need to with 1000W of solar. (What size bank is the House Battery?).

I'll stop here. But suggest time on the Green Section. Good reading of general information. Continue mapping out all of the components from Solar all the way down to the battery. (Shunt, Disconnects, Fuses, Combiner Box, Controller, Battery Temp Compensation, etc, etc.) And then post a more thorough 'Here is what I'm thinking.' post to Going Green. Lots of sharp Techie people read that segment, and you should get some good input on either all thumbs up with your planned approach. And or 'You might want to consider...' input.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 06:53 AM   #4

Smitty, thanks for the response. I have 4 6 volt 225Ah batteries paired in series. They are fairly new and doing a great job. Yeah, if I want to run these all in parallel the charge controller can not handle it. I will swing by the Going Green section, there is a lot to digest. Lots of options. Thanks and have a wonderful day!
Old 07-31-2018, 06:59 AM   #5

Still thinking about this

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarneyM View Post
Erik,

Never heard of this before. I can think of dozens of reason not to convert your house system to 24v but I can't think of one reason to do that. All of your 12v equipment inside and outside the motor home would have to be converted to 24v. That includes the chassis battery, engine starter, generator starter, and the relays installed around the motor home. The SmartWheel controller, the Intellitec system, all the light bulbs, and on and on. And as you mentioned the inverter/charger would have to be replaced. You would be looking a thousands of dollars to accomplish this.

Please give us your thoughts on why you would want to do this.

Thanks
Barney, thanks for the response. I agree with you that going to 24v would be to much of a lift. I was initially thinking that the amperage for the solar panels would be an issue with them all in parallel. I was right and to solve this I have to (1) not install of all them to keep the wattage within range of the charge controller (2) get a new charge controller and install all 10. It has been raining here in Maryland for the last 40 days so I am doing a lot more research then installing. Great advice.

Tags
forum, panel, solar, solar panel