Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #1

Newb question on Affinity/Magna

Please excuse the newb question.

When I look at photos of late-model Affinity and Magna models it appears that there is some sort of fairing on the roof the encloses the AC units and perhaps other equipment.

What are these like? Are they just decorative fairings that block the side view, or is the entire roof enclosed, or what?

The reason I ask is that I wonder about decreased service access. I also wonder whether these would interfere in any way with the installation of solar panels.

Roof photos are rare.
Gannet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2014, 11:40 PM   #2

On mine the passenger side is two awnings. The rail you see is the front edge of the awning. On my drivers side its just a bar. Everything on the roof is the same except if your working on the roof it would be hard to slide off since you have these 6 inch guardrails. On some machine the drivers side is also an awning and not decorative.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #3

You typically have two awnings that pretty much run the length of the coach on each side. Many folks have installed solar panels on their roof without problems.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
The solid railing on the drivers side is more decorative than anything. It is designed to make the drivers side look similar to the passenger side where the full length awnings are located. It would look awkward without the railing.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:52 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
The solid railing on the drivers side is more decorative than anything. It is designed to make the drivers side look similar to the passenger side where the full length awnings are located. It would look awkward without the railing.
I saw a 2006 Affinity at CC last year that had all four roof awnings, so I assumed the Magna would have it as well. Looking back in my brochures, the Magna only had one main awning on the passenger side standard in 2006. The second (rear) awning on the passenger side was an option, as were the two full-length awnings on the driver's side. That was still the case in 2008--not sure if they made later changes to the standard awing package.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote