Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2010, 01:47 PM   #1

Newbee who is now TERRIFIED

I have no idea what I just did....started looking at 5th wheels and got sucked into a 1984 Country Coach, about 110,000 miles diesel pusher, 35-footer.
I have no experience.....and hope I didn't pay too much for this old timer.
I am suppose to do the walk through tomorrow.....I need help ASAP
Montana Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should have up to 24 hours to cancel.
Welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #3

Welcome! Tell us more about it, any known problems or upgrades? Price paid? Condition? Pictures?
xJoey Dubsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #4

Back out,,take your time,,learn more,,

Chances are the rig will still be available 30 days from now,,
Rick&Cheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:25 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Check the NADA value to make sure your close.

Check all appliances.
Check plumbing both water and sewer
Check tires for recent dates(Date is on DOT entry)
Check condition of hoses and belts.
If engine is electronic get engine printout.
Start engin and drive/let run until at operating temp
Check for overheat
Check tranny for proper shifting.
Check tranny fluid dip stick for a burnt smell(bad)
Check engine oil for dip stick for water(bad)
After running engine turn off and monitor for any drippings for 30min or more
Check coolant resevoir
General rust and leakage underneath
After running engine check air pressure and make sure it holds for quite a while (hour or more)
Then dump air bags and lower jack and inspect operation

While driving check air pressure. When applying brakes the pressur goes down and when it reaches about 80-90 the air compressor on the engine will charge the tanks back up.

Need pressure for bags and brakes.

Tom
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #6

AH, buyers remorse...

IF the diesel engine is a Caterpillar diesel in good shape, you might be OK - assuming all the rest is also in good shape - but an '84 is pretty old, anyway you cut it - and unknown/unseen needed repairs can easily be substantial...

We recently bought our '88 Winnebago - I'm pretty handy with tools, and been an automotive freak for MANY years - and even at that, stuff that later popped up needing attention added $1000 or so to the purchase price. That was in a GM gasser - diesels CAN be astronomical in potential replacement/maintenance costs - and then there's the REST of the drivetrain!

I haven't touched on the interior/exterior and general cosmetics, because those should have been pretty visible already...

Walk with care - and if serious later concerns DO arise - RUN away!
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #7

But it is a Country Coach...

Yes a 1984 is old, our 1989 is old, and the family of the folks we purchased ours from called it the "Mcgiver coach".

What model is yours?

If it is a diesel pusher it is probably built on Gillig chasis which is great.

Most of our doors had bad glue joints, there are 42 of them, 30 needed re-gluing.

The plumbing is the PB stuff, needs fittings replaced, engine is CAT so runs solid.

But with the exception of the crappy speakers that were installed everything we have discovered was top drawer stuff.

So make it a hobby, if you are somewhat handy it is not too expensive as most of the issues are simple.

Our back end was low on a corner, a day of crawling under the coach and the leveling valve was fixed with simple adjustment for free.

We still need to replace the tires and batteries, budget gets in the way of that but we still can clean and polish.

The weakest link we have found is the chassis wiring, there are old plug in connectors that may have dirty connections, carefully opening and cleaning usually fixes those.

Simply put, start at one bumper and twist and wiggle everything you can find, clean up the dirty stuff and test anything that can be turned on.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #8

Newbee's Reply

I want to thank all of you for your input. I will print out your info and take it with. I have my Uncle going to the walk through with me set up. He went over the other day to take a look at it.

I had to post-pone my walk through till tomorrow.
I have been ill from a dental infection and the meds are really strong so I have been delayed a bit.

Let me ask you guys.....
When I do the walk through and there are other issues that show up that are serious, am I still legally bound to the coach. I had them hold a check for 2,000. ....the total was 12,589.00.
I didn't find what model this was just saw Country Coach.
they said...this Coach wasn't in the system yet....

This coach is a Detroit engine size is a 8V 92.
I believe it has air-brakes....independent suspension....
Onan Gen propane 6500. The water heater and frig are new. The front tires are new and we have yet to determine the year on the back tires.
Has spot lights, carrier, backup TV-camera, duel pane windows. 2 air conditioners, ice-makers, wine-bar cabinet sorta thing, built in blender.
Can't think of what else.

There is a seam across the top of the coach that goes under the carrier that needs to be re-caulked from what my Uncle saw. So do I need to tell them that they need to repair that?
As far as cosmetics, it was pretty good...needed cleaning and the dealer said it would be detailed. The exterior is rough as a couple of the door panels were dented in.
They are giving me 2 years free storage, I think they said Coach.net and that was 1 year. Two days of free hook-up to learn the how too's and free driving instructions.
Oh and giving me $179.00 in accessories such as hose replacements etc, I didn't find the vac hose anywhere in the coach....is that difficult to replace? And where would I find it?

Anything else I need to know....or ask....or look for....

I really appreciate all of your help...thank you so much

Newbee....Montana Rose
Old 07-29-2010, 12:20 PM   #9
rf4

Winnebago Owners Club
http://www.rversonline.org/pac.htm

this is a printable pdi list
rf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #10

Ah... nothing sounds better than a 2-cycle diesel! We had them in many dump trucks years ago, open exhaust, screaming along against the rev limiter splitting every gear to the top!! I kinda miss that sound. Very strong and reliable engines.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sounds like a nice coach for the money. As far as calking it is never ending. Something you have to keep up to date.

Most dealers I know would let you out of the contract if you really wanted out of it. Check your contract, should be on there. Other than that every state is different. Usually you have some time to get out of it.

Make sure you take a final test drive and make sure no engine lights come on. Check the jacks for proper operation.

Good luck. See you on the road.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
Old 07-30-2010, 03:06 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you are going to really depend on the generator a lot; you may want to reconsider the coach as the propane generator is a fuel hog and you will constantly be having to refill the LP tank. I still would recommend a qualified independent person look at this or carfully read the contract(s) your ability to back out since I am sure the cocah is sold "As Is".
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #13

Up-date

I am suppose to go in today to do the walk through.

I found out last night that they had deposited my deposit.
They told me at Bretz RV in Missoula Mt. that they were going to hang onto it and not deposit it until I did the walk through, with my Uncle to see that every thing was taken care of and that it is what we agreed on.

The upsetting part is that I feel they dishonored there word. I told them 4 times to hang onto the check until the walk through.
I feel betrayed, before even going in and am wondered if this is there normal way of scamming people out of 2,000.00.

I wanted to be able to go through the walk through and confident in what I was choosing and now I have NO CONFIDENCE in this business.
Because they dishonored there word 4 times they heard and deposited it anyway.
I told them that I would transfer the funds after looking at it since I would be transferring the balance also.

Now I find that I had 3 checks bounce all very small since I thought they held the check and that it wouldn't be a problem since I explicitly shared what I was doing.
And my bank took the balance of about 1400.00 from my credit account to cover that check....and this is a completely separate account.
I am pretty ticked with this experience...
I was hoping my nerves were just a new time buyers thing rather that it becoming a nightmare.
Please help....I don't know how a company that is suppose to be so reputable be a place that I am thinking are corrupt and dishonoring to customers words....as well as their own.
They "told me" they hang onto the check until the final walk through...
I don't understand this.
Am I dealing with the level of used car salesmen here?
I expected more professional dealers for some odd reason.

I hope they just made a mistake and will cover the bounce fees..and do what ever is right at this point......but the other fear is if they are trying to dump a piece of junk on me now also.

I am thinking my fears may have been well founded.

Montana Rose
Old 07-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I thinks it is time to set down and talk with them and let them know how you feel.

It could be sales says one thing and accounting says another. Could also be an end of month thing. Maybe inadvertant.

At least communicate with them first. Sometimes that is all it takes.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors