Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #15

I remember your posts on your problems, and feel for you... Understand your decision to move on. I have a friend looking, and if it were not for a hard stop at 40' for him (storage restraint) - this is the coach he'd have gone with.

https://www.kenaicoach.com//DealerFi...?ListingID=217

-Great era for CC as far as build and material qualities
-Classic looking design
-This was not only an Affinity, but it was from what the add says - a unique Affinity at that
-C-12 is one of the best big block engines from that era

I know the price seems high, but it is an asking price, and the unit has been with Kenai for awhile now. And, Kenai has a reputation for going thru their CC's in inventory - and fixing anything that needs fixing. So while it may seem a high price for that year coach (And yes it is...) - it may still be a bargain for the right person. And, price is alway something that can be discussed.

I also like the 05/06 Magna's with C-13's.

And as far as Mountain Aire from Newmar, I always felt that model was the sweet spot for Newmar. In some model years, they can be found with the ISM in them - which is a good running engine too.

On this purchase. Take the time to find one that is right for you. Get it well inspected, so any problems are known upfront, and negotiated into an offer. Good luck selling your unit...

Hope your next coach gives you lots of fun usage!

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2019, 05:30 PM   #16

I owned a MCI conversion, the 1988 you are considering will probably have a 4 speed Allison and not to mention the Detroit 2 stroke diesel is a very antiquated form of diesel technology by today's standards. These buses used Stainless steel in the frame construction. In a coach this old the stainless starts to crack due to age fatigue especially in the rear around the engine cradle. They are not designed for towing, the Prevost has a much more robust construction in the rear and is a much better choice.

Dennis
suzygirl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:45 AM   #17

Thanks so much for that information. That has definitely been a concern of ours. I think we are going to stick with a very good traditional Motorhome.
Racing4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 07:47 AM   #18

Thank you so much for your support. We really like that Affinity and have spoken to Terry a few times now. I think it has everything we are looking for. Probably going to set up a trip to Oregon to take a look for sure. I am looking at a 2006 Mountain Aire today that I'm told was well cared for by the owner and the shop that takes care of it - shall see what I think after now owning a CC.
Old 02-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #19

One of the reasons we went from a Country Coach to a Prevost conversion is the availability of service. Prevost has maintenance centers around the U.S., and in the case of Marathon, they have three maintenance facilities in Oregon, Texas and Florida. There are literally thousands of Prevosts on the roads, and basic chassis issues are about the same on busses and bus conversions. The volume of parts also make some parts less expensive--our friends needed a new windshield for their 2005 Allure. Cost was around $5,500 vs. around $400 for each section of our windshield. An older XLV with riveted construction will never have delamination, a stainless model XLII (2000 chassis and newer) have had delamination issues. Delamination on a Prevost H3 like ours are rare. A mid-nineties coach with the DD series 60 will start below $100k, and there are many out there. I would look for a major converter like Marathon, Liberty, Featherlite etc., and shy away from one-off conversions. BTW, the statement that bus conversions don't have towing capability is simply not true. Our coach has a 10,000 lb towing capacity, and I'm sure you have seen plenty of bus conversions towing big trailers.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludmilla View Post
I have a 2004 Newmar and I have not had any issues with leaks and delam BUT many coaches from different manufacturers in those years have an issue with paint checking. Even though we kept the motorhome under cover when not in use, the paint checking constantly got worse, especially in the dark areas, and the clear coat was lifting off. This is a defect in the manufacture of the sidewalls and repainting will probably not fix it. I brought my coach back to Newmar to have the sidewalls replaced and the coach repainted. This is easier with a Newmar because of the hung wall construction.

If we would have know what paint checking was before we bought the coach, we would have looked for one without this issue. Even though Newmar did the work at a MUCH better price than you could get anywhere else, it was still an expensive fix.
We had our '02 DSDP at the factory BEFORE the warranty expired. One of the problems was the paint checking. They buffed it out and said that would fix the problem permanently. Well, it didn't. When I contacted them they refused to cover any part of replacing the sidewall claiming they had no record of it being reported to them. My warranty paperwork didn't note it so I had no recourse.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:49 PM   #21

Prevost bus conversions made by a major bus converters will probably have had the hitch designed engineered and properly installed by that converter. Home made bus conversions may not have a properly designed hitch capable of 10000 lbs towing. As mentioned by another poster, MCI had some problems with cracking in the rear subframe area, and many GMC's had rear bulkhead problems, even without towing.
Before you believe any bus conversion is capable of towing 10000 lbs, best you go to some of the bus conversion forums and read some of the threads on towing with the specific bus you are looking at.
Old 02-20-2019, 04:57 PM   #22

Thank you for all the input. It’s very helpful.

The bus conversion we are considering was done originally by Custom Coach. It has never been a passenger bus ever. The shop owner that has it was part of original build of this bus and works on these rigs. He did repair to our CC as well and was certified repair center for CC in the day. Just for some added input. They will build hitch custom. We need to understand the how (I am an engineer and my husband is a mechanic) so hopefully we will be able to determine its strength. But again all good points to consider and I appreciate the information. We will not tow that full weight. We mostly tow our Yukon XL 4 down. Trailer a few weekends a year at 7500 lbs.

Tags
country coach, motorhome, newmar