Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #1

No Headlights

My driving lights wouldn't come on. I replaced the lights control on the dashboard. That got the parking lights working but not the headlights. CC suggested it might be my Smart Wheel. They said if the controls there are bad, it'll make the dash switch useless to turn on the lights.

My problem is I can't find the VIP Module box. It's black w a row of 3 multi-prong white connectors across the bottom. By its photo, it looks to be ~3"x4". I looked under and around the steering column and in the outside front left bay. Can anyone suggest where else to look?

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2018, 02:45 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
My driving lights wouldn't come on. I replaced the lights control on the dashboard. That got the parking lights working but not the headlights. CC suggested it might be my Smart Wheel. They said if the controls there are bad, it'll make the dash switch useless to turn on the lights.

My problem is I can't find the VIP Module box. It's black w a row of 3 multi-prong white connectors across the bottom. By its photo, it looks to be ~3"x4". I looked under and around the steering column and in the outside front left bay. Can anyone suggest where else to look?

Jerry

Jerry,

My VIP Controller is up high under the dash just above my left foot when sitting in the drivers seat.

I had the same problem a few years ago and it turned out to be the turn signal switch in the steering column. The head lights go through there to switch from low to high beams.

Good luck,
Barney
07 Inspire 52059
BarneyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #3

Barney,

How did you/they get to the turn signal switch to diagnose/replace it? IOW, how do you get the shroud off the tiltable steering column?

Jerry
2008 Country Coach Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31611 37' tag, Cummins ISL-400, Dish Trav'ler, MCDs, Techma, liftup Sony, fireplace, 1440W solar 600A lithium, 2014 JKUR
Old 03-26-2018, 12:23 AM   #4

Thanks, Barney. I still couldn't find it where you said; but encouraged by your "confirmed sighting", I kept looking. Found it behind a wooden, carpet covered kick pad with hidden screws. Would have never looked there. Am very elated.

Now, I've got to pull the horn pad and do some diagnostics. I have VIP's troubleshooting guide for my Series 2. It only seems helpful if one of the buttons is malfunctioning. Mine are all working. I don't think it's the clock spring under the steering wheel, either, because I'm not experiencing any erratic behavior of the electronic users. The Series 2 module has several self-diagnostic tools built in that make results known by number and color of flashes. But the only test for headlights is ICC blinking.

After I use my multimeter some, I think I'll call Kevin W to see if I need to buy a replacement control module or a turn signal component, or whatever.

Jerry
Old 03-26-2018, 11:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
Barney,

How did you/they get to the turn signal switch to diagnose/replace it? IOW, how do you get the shroud off the tiltable steering column?

Jerry
Jerry,

It's fairly easy. Tilt the the steering wheel all the way up, grab the bottom half of the cover and give it a healthy pull. Then tilt the steering all the way down and do the same for the top half. This will expose the turn signal switch. It seems the contacts are marginal and can over heat melting the plastic.

Barney
07 Inspire 52059
BarneyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 05:27 PM   #6

BUMP.

I want to tell you how my problem was solved.

Butch Williams (of K & B RV repair) walked me thru all the possibilities on the phone. My parking lights worked as did my flashers, just no headlights. We started outside with the Daytime Running Lights module, then some fuses outside. then, I headed inside under the steering wheel with my multimeter. What was suggested here and what Butch thought was the matter tested okay. Lastly, he had me test the circuitry under the dash for the turn signal module. One wire supposed to be hot was not. The circuit for the headlights (not other lights) goes thru the turn switch. I pulled the steering wheel (easy once you get the right puller that fits and 1/4” bolts), carefully removed the watchspring (must have expanded ring pliers), and took out the switch. Getting the covers surrounding the steering column ended up being the hardest task. Kevin Waite had a replacement. It’s in and all is well. The lever in the old one just slides in and out. Apparently, that part of the switch broke.

Jerry
Old 04-18-2018, 08:05 PM   #7

Is this a recent sighting of Butch Willams? Last I heard he moved to Seattle and is selling insurance.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights