Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2021, 06:05 PM   #1

No house battery power.

I bought an '08 Allure 470. I checked the house batteries, and they were out of water. I filled them, and in the process had to remove the posts - which sparked when re-attached.....

Now, no power when I turn on the house battery switch. Batteries register fully charged, so I assume some breaker was tripped....but I haven't found it. Any ideas??
TriCitySam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2021, 06:12 PM   #2

Buy a battery watering system from FlowRite so this won't happen again. Should be a 200 or 300 amp fuse possibly in the battery bay (it is on my Monaco) you might have blown that.
Mile Marker 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:20 PM   #3

On my 2000 Magna there is a 200 amp circuit breaker connected to the circuit that goes to the house battery disconnect switch. I'm pretty sure you have one but I don't know where yours might be located. Mine is in the compartment next to my house batteries.

Hopefully someone with your year coach will jump in here and help.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:29 PM   #4

I see the "red" breaker buttons, but nothing happens when I push them.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:40 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriCitySam View Post
I see the "red" breaker buttons, but nothing happens when I push them.
300A Class T Fuse. I have two in my battery circuits. You find them on your wiring diagrams. One in the back of the house battery bay and one near the inverter each covered by a plastic but clear cover.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/511...Fuse_-_300_Amp

I carry a spare.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 07:21 PM   #6

Here's a battery question...

The batteries were out of water.....when I filled back up and hooked cables back on, it seemed as though I had power (I heard refrig alarm chirping). Turned off house power switch when I locked up at night.

This morning, seemed batteries were dead....can filling up with water make the batteries crap out? My VM isn't showing much power in them now.
Old 04-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Not normally. Do you keep the batteries on a battery tender? Put them on a charger for 24 hours, and then test them for voltage.
Old 04-28-2021, 09:51 PM   #8

I tripped one of my red breakers like you may have and I pressed on the button and nothing happened. What I finally found out was that these are very hard to reset. What I did was take a rubber mallet I had, placed the wooden handle on the red button and then hit the mallet very hard to reset the breaker. That worked for me.
Old 04-28-2021, 10:09 PM   #9
Community Moderator

What kind of water did you add to it? I am sure you have already known this but in case you added tap water or drinking water, you would have killed it. Add distilled water only.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 10:24 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I bought an '08 Allure 470. I checked the house batteries, and they were out of water. I filled them, and in the process had to remove the posts - which sparked when re-attached.....

Now, no power when I turn on the house battery switch. Batteries register fully charged, so I assume some breaker was tripped....but I haven't found it. Any ideas??
When you say "out of water" do you mean the top of the plates were exposed? Depending on prior battery usage and how long they were out of water they may be dead. In some cases with the right equipment you equalize the batteries after refilling them, but no assurances.

When you say "removed the posts" do you mean removed the wires from the posts, or do you have some type of screwed in posts that you removed?

The spark you got is typical when reconnecting the cables.

Have you tested the battery voltage with a multimeter across thePos & Neg posts? What ready do you get?

After refilling the water did you leave a good charger on the batteries long enough to fully recharge them? If wee doing this, I'd attach the charger to each individual battery one at a time and charge them that way. We do not know, what kind, age or number of batteries you have in your RV? All of this makes a difference. There should be some kind of date code on the top of each battery.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 08:30 AM   #11

Angry Battery Issue

1. I added distilled water.

2. The top plates were exposed, I put over a gallon in each.

3. I don't believe the red breakers needed to be reset.

4. I had a fairly new Schumacher 15 amp charger on there for over 12 hours, and it showed them 100% charged. Meter showed like 13.4 amps. Just a few minutes later I re-checked and got 1.5 amps. Now the charger won't stay on, just clicks off instead of showing what % is charged and going to the "maintain" setting.

5. I just bought the coach, batteries are "Intimidators" AGM. Dates were not marked.

Seemed like the batteries worked fine till I decided I'd do a little maintenance.
Old 04-29-2021, 10:12 AM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

4. I had a fairly new Schumacher 15 amp charger on there for over 12 hours, and it showed them 100% charged. Meter showed like 13.4 amps. Just a few minutes later I re-checked and got 1.5 amps. Now the charger won't stay on, just clicks off instead of showing what % is charged and going to the "maintain" setting.

5. I just bought the coach, batteries are "Intimidators" AGM. Dates were not marked.

Seemed like the batteries worked fine till I decided I'd do a little maintenance.
If these really are AGM batteries, you never try to add water to them! Also they should not ever be opened. Oxygen in the air will badly damage the internals. AGMs are maintenance free. Which explains why they worked before and stopped after you opened them.

When you say "showed like 13.4 amps/ 1.5 amps" I assume you really mean 13.4 and 1.5 volts. Right after removing a charge a battery will show what is called a surface charge. A short lived left-over from charging. Typically a surface charge disappears in about 20 to 60 minutes. When you got 1.5 volts that is a really dead battery.

If they had been standard flooded lead acid batteries: I don't know how much water you batteries hold, but a gallon+ in each is like nearly all of the water. Much worse than if the water level was just slightly below the top of the plates. Any level below the top of the plates is not good for the battery. The chemistry that makes a battery work happens in the water or the gel.

I would consider those batteries only suitable for a core credit towards anew a whole new set of batteries. Adding a battery watering system makes the job much easier. More so if you have to remove wires/posts to take off the top caps.

We still do not know how many you have. That would make a difference in replacement recommendations. But either way I would not spend anytime looking at breakers or fuses until you have new batteries in place.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:33 PM   #13

Quote:

I have 3 Intimidator AGM 8Ds in my boat.
No maint... can't add water?

Did the caps unscrew or did you pry them off?
Can you post a pic?

If really AGM they are toast and time for replacement.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 11:49 PM   #14

I am guessing when you say amps your relying on the display on the small charger . You need to have a volt meter and confirm battery voltage. Without that info you will get nowhere . I see a lot of rigs this time of year having power problems and it stems from the unit sitting during the off season. If the batteries are left to drain down to nothing and sit with continuous parasite loads they can be permanently damaged and at the very least will perform very poorly. The only choice is to place them on a charge for days then remove charger for a few hours and check voltage.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, power