Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-16-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

No more white streaks for me

It's quite a Fathers Day present for me, from me and by me! I started out this weekend by power washing my roof and cleaned with Simple Green, resealed where needed, "Scotchbrighted" the entire roof, de-greased and wiped it down and finally gave it its first coat of gloss white Topside paint. Whew! My knees have had it. I was watching rain clouds come and go. They didn't get me. The first coat is a bit transparent but the second coat is supposed to make it look like it should. I'm going to go for three coats before calling it done. This wasn't the first power washing of my roof but it'll be my last time to see white streaks on my side walls and windshield from the original gel coat. I was really quite pleased with the overall condition of the gel coat and it took the paint wonderfully. I know I could have waxed and I could have used Zep but I really want it done for years to come and have a surface that will accept Dicor whenever the need arises. The Topcoat covers and seals the existing Dicor wonderfully and is supposed to enhance its durability as well. Win-Win.

The yellow painters tape is a new-to-me exterior clean-release tape that's good for 7 days and leaves a clean surface. I like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CleanRoof.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	250118   Click image for larger version

Name:	TopSide1stCoat.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	250119  

BonS is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-16-2019, 07:09 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow really looks nice!!
nvs4602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #3

Yes, that looks awesome

What type of material is this Topcoat paint? Is it more than just a paint? Does it fully solidify?
Old 06-16-2019, 07:34 PM   #4

It's Rust-Oleum marine oil based deck paint for fiberglass, wood and metal. Here's a link that describes it. I'm sure not the first to use it for an RV roof as I'm following other's good advice on using this product.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My prep process and tools used were selected by following the details in this link:
https://beaveramb.org/acadp_listings...-roof-coating/
Old 06-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #5

A couple of notes on prep and application. I used an electric palm sander to jiggle the Scotch-Brite pad to speed up the abrasion process and improve adhesion. I'd say this saved me at least 2-3 hours prep time when compared to doing it manually. Oh, my knees! The article cited above suggests that 2-3 quarts will do a 40-45 foot coach. No way. I used 2 quarts for the first coat. I think it'll take about the same for each of the next two coats. So, for me, I'll use six quarts for the three coats.
Old 06-17-2019, 09:50 AM   #6

The devil is in the prep work, and you checked all of the boxes on prepping! (I use Dawn instead of Simple Green, but both do the degreasing and any wax build up cutting well.).

We went with Buskote about 7 years ago, since our two 15K AC units work hard in the above 105 temps we see in Arizona from time to time. Before choosing Buskote, I was looking at one of the Interlux 2 Parts Fiberglass Deck paints, that had a higher UV protection rating the the other brands I was looking into. Costs would have been maybe $200 less for the materials of the actual applied product, labor and prep were the same. It was the assistance on heat transfer from the roof into the coaches ceiling liner area, that nudge me to Buskote.

Flash forward to today, and our coach is now at Premier to have a fresh primer and two free coats of Buskote applied. I don't know how I missed it, but Buskote recommends a reapplication maintenance coat in a 4-6 year. (Talking with their tech support, they said people who are in the hotter Southwest beating sun, would be the 3 1/2 -4 year range. But the lady helping me said that some in say the Pacific Northwest, have got 7+ years between needing to a fresh coat.) I did not know it needed a 'refresh' coat, and it was once I saw the streaking start again, and got up for a yearly inspection of sealant, that I noticed the chalking of the top of the Buskote material. I'd let it go too long, so now it's clean well and then apply a fresh Primer, and then two new Buskote layers...

I ordered the materials, but the DW would not let me do the work, she said do it the old fashion way - write a check for the labor!!! I did however do the first deep washing with Dawn and medium stiff brush, to be sure the grease and grime of the years was cut off. The shop will still do a lighter pressure power wash, before application process begins. I also have them do the AC covers, as this protects them from UV rays, and hope it will last longer.

Back to the Interlux 2 Part Deck paint... I'd expected a good 10 years out of that, due to no one regularly walking on the surface. And the UV protector was as i mentioned more then other products at that time. Tasing to Interlux they said that in that location, they saw no reason to not go over the Deck Paint after it got a few years old with a Aerospace 303, or other UV protector, to augment the deckings UV. And that is relatively easy after a good washing, with a swifter with pad stuck to the bottom, and spray and spread like mopping....

Your pictures look great, and thanks for the tip on the yellow tape, we now use the green frog tape, in place of the blue tape... But will look for the yellow the next time we need some...

Best to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:14 PM   #7

Another day, another coat of roof paint. The second coat certainly applies easier but it still took about 95% of the two quarts it drank for the first coat.

@Smitty77, Thanks for your info. I think I'll let the paint cure for a month and then apply some 303. The Swifter mop sounds like a winner. An annual 303 treatment should extend the paint life considerably.

I was amazed at the difference between my dark brown body paint and the white roof temperature. And this was before I painted. The dark brown burns your hand almost instantly when in full sun. I could comfortably leave my hand on the white'ish gel coat. I expect the gloss white to do even better.
I'll do one final coat of roof paint on Thursday - if the weatherman is correct - and look forward to getting this project behind me.
Old 06-17-2019, 05:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonS View Post
The yellow painters tape is a new-to-me exterior clean-release tape that's good for 7 days and leaves a clean surface. I like it.
BonS: So in regards to the yellow tape, what is it used for? Is there another color under it that you wanted to show after you painted everything else?

Thanks.
1997 RexAir 32' Ford F53 Chassis, Banks system.
TriMoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMoot View Post
BonS: So in regards to the yellow tape, what is it used for? Is there another color under it that you wanted to show after you painted everything else?
Thanks.
I placed the painters tape to allow for overlapping the roof paint onto the body paint, but by only 1/8" or so.This ensures a complete seal of the two paints and can help stop the clear coat from beginning to peel as well (or so I'm told.) The rest of the taping off was just to keep paint off stuff I didn't want to paint as I was painting over the Dicor to seal and protect it.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:58 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
It sounds like you followed that "Beaver process" exactly, because I have all the same parts waiting for a break in the weather! I was very interested to hear about the amount of Topside paint you used. I have three quarts ready, but I think I'll get a couple more.
Thanks much - and it looks great!

Steve
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 03:09 PM   #11

The second coat took 1.8 quarts just like the first. Remember, though that I have 45' coach. The second coat did cover much better than the first but I haven't been up on top to see if the third coat is needed or I'm doing it just because I have the paint.

I'll apply the third coat tomorrow and let things set up until this weekend when I'll remove the painters tape. I sure hope it removes cleanly.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:28 PM   #12

I got on the roof and gave it a good inspection. My conclusion: "There's no need for a third coat." The coverage and sheen is just right. So, I stripped off the painters tape, which came off perfectly, and I'm calling it done. The exterior painter's tape made a great paint line and I'll be stocking it from now on. I once had my windshield pop loose and it would have been great for that - and without the messy residue to clean up as with duct tape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SecondCoat1.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	250462   Click image for larger version

Name:	SecondCoat2.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	250463  

Old 06-19-2019, 10:35 PM   #13

Two thumbs up!!! (And you can bet, the birds are going to enjoy bombing a clean target!!!)

Looks great.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:42 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
(And you can bet, the birds are going to enjoy bombing a clean target!!!)
That's just wrong, Smitty!
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote