Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 01-31-2022, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Arizona-Oregon
Posts: 126
No oil pressure on my 6V92TA Detroit Diesel

Morning All,
Don here with a major problem. I changed oil last Thurs. along with filters on gen set Etc. The last oil had 6,000 miles on it and the oil was still clear. Nothing on the pan magnet. I ran th e engine for a hour To get it up to Temp. All was good 30Lbs. at idle and 50 at fast idle.

The next morning I fired it up and it shut down in a minute or two. I started again and it shut down with no oil pressure. I went back and checked oil and it was all bubbles and aeriated with tiny bubbles.

I checked my manual and the only thing I saw was there is a relief valve above the filter. If it is broke it will send oil back to the pan?

Any old DD mechanics out there?

Thanks, Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2022, 12:54 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
Unplanned Tourist's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 6,083
It's been quite a few years since I worked on any 92 series DDs, but I think if the bypass is open, you should still have oil pressure.

I would be pulling the oil pan off and having a look at the oil pump, pick-up tube and screen. I have seen the pump mounting bolts break off, but it's very rare.

With all the bubbles, it sounds likely that it's sucking air. That leaves the pick-up tube and screen assembly as suspect.

I could be wrong. but that's where I would start looking anyway.

ps. if you have a 6V92 TA, 110 injectors really wake them up.
__________________
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:10 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 153
Blog Entries: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacota View Post
Morning All,
Don here with a major problem. I changed oil last Thurs. along with filters on gen set Etc. The last oil had 6,000 miles on it and the oil was still clear. Nothing on the pan magnet. I ran th e engine for a hour To get it up to Temp. All was good 30Lbs. at idle and 50 at fast idle.

The next morning I fired it up and it shut down in a minute or two. I started again and it shut down with no oil pressure. I went back and checked oil and it was all bubbles and aeriated with tiny bubbles.

I checked my manual and the only thing I saw was there is a relief valve above the filter. If it is broke it will send oil back to the pan?

Any old DD mechanics out there?

Thanks, Don
Sir, is it a safe assumption that you filled the oil filters with oil before installing correct?
craigd853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 03:47 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Arizona-Oregon
Posts: 126
Yes, the filters were filled 3/4 full
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 07:01 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Unplanned Tourist's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 6,083
Here's some pictures of the oil pick-up tube and screen, oil pressure regulators and the filter. If there's a problem with the oil pump, you will see it right away.

Basically a very simple system to check out after you get the oil pan off. I couldn't find my old 92 series shop manual, but got this off the web.





__________________
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2022, 11:58 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
IASM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Burien ,WA
Posts: 885
seems odd to go from a state of in service to out of service with just an oil change.I think i would be looking at any wiring you may have dislodged during the oil change process.should be an oil pressure sensor on the oil galley. I think its next to the filter.
IASM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 09:21 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Arizona-Oregon
Posts: 126
I've started it a few times now. If I have no oil it will ruin the engine.
We have a mechanic coming today and I will relay the cause when I find out. This is the
weirdest issue I have seen in a diesel engine.
The first thing is to check the filter and relief valve above filter. If the valve is bad the manual says it will divert oil directly to the pan. I can hardly believe that!
I will let all know when I get an answer and maybe save someone from the same problem.
Thanks, Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 11:16 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Fredward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 385
My vote would be wiring or the low oil pressure switch itself. At least on the 71 series, there is a low pressure shut down that has to be overidden everytime the engine is started. I doubt that the pump just quit working. I assume you put enough oil back in the engine after the change?
Fred
__________________
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:17 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Unplanned Tourist's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 6,083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacota View Post
I've started it a few times now. If I have no oil it will ruin the engine.
We have a mechanic coming today and I will relay the cause when I find out. This is the
weirdest issue I have seen in a diesel engine.
The first thing is to check the filter and relief valve above filter. If the valve is bad the manual says it will divert oil directly to the pan. I can hardly believe that!
I will let all know when I get an answer and maybe save someone from the same problem.
Thanks, Don
If I remember correctly, the relief valve is inside the crankcase, bolted to the bottom of the block. There's a regulator and relief valve. Yours should be like the upper one in the picture I posted.

Above the filter is just the by-pass valve. If it's stuck open, you should still have oil pressure.

Be sure to put a MANUAL gauge on and crank the motor over for a few seconds to be sure it's not just a sender. Mention that to the mechanic when he comes.
__________________
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Xmcdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 1,926
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned Tourist View Post
If I remember correctly, the relief valve is inside the crankcase, bolted to the bottom of the block. There's a regulator and relief valve. Yours should be like the upper one in the picture I posted.

Above the filter is just the by-pass valve. If it's stuck open, you should still have oil pressure.

Be sure to put a MANUAL gauge on and crank the motor over for a few seconds to be sure it's not just a sender. Mention that to the mechanic when he comes.
If memory serves, the bypass valve bypasses the filter. Put there in case of a severely clogged filter.

With air in the oil I'm thinking it is an air leak in the pickup tube. JMO.
__________________
Jeff and Annette Smith

2011 GMC Diesel 2500 HD
Xmcdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:32 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Country Coach Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Arizona-Oregon
Posts: 126
Thanks to all that have responded. The 5/8" line going into the remote oil filter had major pressure. Checked oil lines to gages and they were clear. Last we checked the 5/8" coming out of the filter and bingo no pressure!
A bad Luber Liner filter. This could have ruined my engine! So if you ever run into no oil pressure after a oil change put your old filter back on like I did.
Best to all, Don
Lacota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:35 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Unplanned Tourist's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Posts: 6,083
Great job finding that.
__________________
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 06:59 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacota View Post
Thanks to all that have responded. The 5/8" line going into the remote oil filter had major pressure. Checked oil lines to gages and they were clear. Last we checked the 5/8" coming out of the filter and bingo no pressure!
A bad Luber Liner filter. This could have ruined my engine! So if you ever run into no oil pressure after a oil change put your old filter back on like I did.
Best to all, Don
As you’re well aware, you just saved yourself some serious money, not to mention the hassle factor. Nice job.
Twolanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2022, 07:04 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Box Elder, SD
Posts: 802
I'm certainly glad that you got your oil pressure sorted out. A brand new oil filter out of the box that can completely block your oil flow? That's one brand name that I'll never be using.
__________________
2009 Country Coach Veranda 400, ISM 500, Aqua Hot 525D
2019 Lincoln Nautilus Toad
2020 Lectric XP E-bike (Hybrid)
BonS is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
No oil pressure but I have oil pressure 2 Stroker Caterpillar Engine Forum 5 09-26-2017 07:11 PM
Detroit Diesel S60 leaking oil into hydraulic system CatchinRays Monaco Owner's Forum 16 08-21-2017 10:07 AM
Low oil pressure Detroit Series 60 kawas Monaco Owner's Forum 4 07-13-2016 06:31 AM
Low oil pressure | erratic oil pressure | inconsistant oil pressure GlennLever Cummins Engines 45 08-28-2014 08:24 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.