Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2021, 06:40 PM   #1

No power to interior lights, refrigerator, water heater, heater

I have a 1987 Country Coach Limited. I stay in it 3 days a week as I work out of town. It is parked on a private lot with full hook-ups; I do not drive it. When I left last week everything worked fine, when I came back 4 days later I had no interior power, except for the microwave, that still works. I am hooked up to 50 amp shoreline and my house and chassis batteries are dead. I don't have the owner's manual and I have no idea where the inverter or converter are located. I found the breaker box and reset the breakers and GFI; still no power. I found the transfer switches and all kinds of wires which I know nothing about. Does anyone know what I need to do and where I can find it. I am totally lost as this is my first motorhome. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have to go back to work on Monday and it gets really cold at night. Thank You!
lawrie6121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2021, 06:58 PM   #2

The DC Fuse Panel should be with the AC Panel
AC Power from one of those Circuit Breakers feds the Converter which powers the DC Fuse Panel and Maintains/Charges the batteries

Converter/charging section should be in a bottom section of the AC Panel/DC Fuse Panel OR directly behind it

Need to verify (Voltmeter....best tool for RVr) AC power to Converter and that Converter is putting out DC (S/B 13VDC Minimum)
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 07:04 PM   #3

interior lights on your motor home are 12 voltsDC and run off batteries, or converter if plugged into working shore power. Your microwave runs off shore power or 120 volts AC. Do you have access to a VOM ? (volt ohm meter). if yes, set it to a DC volt setting that can accommodate 12 volts dc and do some trouble shooting to see if you have any 12 volt DC power. measure between +12 volts dc and ground or - 12 volts in your 12 volt fuse section. Stay away from main incoming shore power where 120 volt AC breakers are located. If no VOM, buy a cheap one from amazon or harbor freight. An inexpensive vom cost under 20$ and are indispensable for diagnosing electrical problems. you are cold because the heater also works off 12 volts dc and propane unless you have a plug in electric heater.
Paul R. Haller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 08:51 PM   #4

Please confirm you did not accidentally turn off the main DC switch (might be located near the door on the side lower wall near the steps).
Cassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:34 PM   #5
Community Moderator

First thing first, go grab a space heater from Walmart and keep inside warm. If you need lighting, use a portable 120v unit until you sort out the 12v system.

Now about 12v... Realize people here are trying to be helpful, but few, if not all, have seen or worked on a vintage CC like yours, some (including my) advices may have been or may be out of guesswork.

You said "house and chassis batteries are dead", that is likely due to "charging" function not working. CC had been known to use "inverter" (converting and inverting combo) on its coaches, for yours it's likely at the upper section of the battery bay. To start, first check the AC breaker for inverter, at the rear corner to driver side in your bedroom. Open the cabinet door, you will see the power panel. At the left lower corner, you should see a circuit breaker with a label "INV" on it. Flip it off then flip it on firmly.

Wait for a minute or two, see if you have lights on. If not, go to the battery bay to tinker around. We don't know how good you are on electricity. Do it with caution. If you don't have a clue about 120v and 12v, you may find someone to help take a look. On the inverter box, pay attention to small buttons, one of them is "Master Reset". Press and hold for 15 seconds, it will reboot...

Best of luck!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:13 AM   #6

Thank you all! I am going back up today and will check all your suggestions. I do have a VOM, I will bring that with me. I know very little about electricity, I need a crash course. Thank God for the internet!
lawrie6121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:33 AM   #7

being an 87 I would suspect you don't have an inverter (12 to 120 volts) but you do have a converter (120 to 12 volts). sounds like the battery disconnect at the door is off. There is paracidic draws on the battery when this happens. CO, PL, radio do not disconnect. If the battery is dead you may have to charge it up to get the disconnect to work. Your lights are 12 volts. You do have all your 120 volt stuff if the microwave is working. Furnace, fridge, WH, use 12 volts when on gas for control circuits.
Old 01-24-2021, 10:49 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
On my 1995 CC, the Invertor/Charger is mounted in the forward basement compartment, but behind access cutouts in the forward wall of that compartment.

It is located behind the water heater and so best accessed from the driver side.

Our invertor/charger controls shore power to the mh outlets and battery charging. The batteries provide power to the interior lights, refrigerator controls etc.

Since your microwave works, you have a good shore power connection.

CC moved its inverters around apparently on different vintages and models of CC rigs.

If the invertor is the cause (likely) just resetting the on board circuit breakers of the inverter is a fix.

But, just behind our inverter on the back wall of the utility compartment are two more circuit breakers. They are for the 120v power circuits also. I have those trip on occasion.

The above is just stuff to look for in case you do not easily find your inverter.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
being an 87 I would suspect you don't have an inverter (12 to 120 volts) but you do have a converter (120 to 12 volts). sounds like the battery disconnect at the door is off. There is paracidic draws on the battery when this happens. CO, PL, radio do not disconnect. If the battery is dead you may have to charge it up to get the disconnect to work. Your lights are 12 volts. You do have all your 120 volt stuff if the microwave is working. Furnace, fridge, WH, use 12 volts when on gas for control circuits.
This is good advice also. I do not know much about 1987 CC rigs, but there are a few others with similar vintages on this CC forum who may chime in.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 04:33 PM   #10

IF OP has a COnverter then hooked up to Shore Power he would still have DC even with 'Salesman; Switch OFF

If OP has an INverter then YES the 'Salesman' switch being Off would kill all DC
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2021, 07:16 PM   #11

True...but unfortunately not all DC is disconnected. Lots of parasitic draws even with "Sales man Switch: off... as we all know

But either way it is an inverter or converter issue...IMHO

OP let us know what you find out

Stay Safe,
greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heat, heater, interior, light, lights, no power, power, refrigerator, water, water heater