Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2023, 08:54 PM   #1

No propane

2000 Magna #5796, I am trying to figure out each system one at a time. Trying to get this rig back up to perfect. Turned on the propane tank today by opening the valve at the tank. I get nothing at the cooktop. There appears to be some kind of a solenoid at the output hose at the tank. What is this and how is it controlled?? I haven't moved on to the water system yet so I am assuming my HWH is not getting propane either.
Busboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 09:05 PM   #2

In most installations with a solenoid ; the solenoid is powered through the propane leak detector ; to shut off propane in the event of a leak alarm; and if the leak detector is powered up but you have no power to the solenoid , the detector probably need replacing .

There are two other possibilities .
1 . A propane on/off switch in the circuit.
2. The propane tank's burst line valve has tripped .
It's under the service valve and requires the valve be turned off , and opened very slowly ( back pressure keeps it open )
Old 03-21-2023, 10:00 PM   #3

Yep, make sure the LP Leak Detector is turned on (I learned that the hard way with a coach decades ago, after a few days of cold showers!). Also would not hurt to cycle Off/On the Salesman Switch too...

And not uncommon for a long time being required to purge the air out of the piping...

Good luck,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2023, 04:00 AM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
My experience with my 06 Intrigue: I turned on the gas, no propane to the cooktop. I found that I had the reset/off switch moved to the off position. Mine is located at the base of the residential fridge. I moved the switch to the reset position, it chirps like a bird for a few seconds, then goes quiet. Then I get gas. Hope this helps.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:02 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Per Smitty’s comment, when I throw the house batt switch, then turn it on, the darn thing chirps constantly until I reset it again.
Old 03-23-2023, 02:36 PM   #6

got it, I never had a system that shut off the propane at the tank. Leak detector it was!!! Now on to the next problem.
Busboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:08 PM   #7

I think there is a shutoff under the jack sofa
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 01:36 PM   #8

I can add one. Same things with the propane detector make sure it's on. Second, and this happens to me on occasion, wiggle or move the electrical connectors on the propane solonoid on the tank. Sometimes the connections get coroded or the solonoid seems to stick. If mine doesn't come on I take connections on and off several times and then it works.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 03:47 PM   #9

On my Allure the leak detector was “aged out” and wouldn’t re-set. Ended up replacing it and all is well now.
farmergreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2023, 08:20 PM   #10

Note that the older LPG detectors with solenoid controls built before about 2001 used a different (lower?) voltage solenoid than the LPG detectors with solenoid control valves that are currently available. Therefore if you need to replace the detector with a modern one, you also need to replace the solenoid, if you don't then chances are the oil lower voltage solenoid will burn out after a few weeks / months.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:22 PM   #11

2020 Coachmen Beyond. On the side of the motor home is a switch that is supposed to turn on the propane so I can use the cook top. Propane never gets to the cook top so I can light the burners. Where to look next?
jjtotten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane