Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 03:27 PM   #1

No water flowing to water heater

I have a 1998 Magna 36 with the kitchen in the slide out.
We had a cold weather a couple of weeks ago. I drained the fresh water tank with the drain switch on the panel in the front everything seemed to be fine, the fresh water tank emptied.
I filled the fresh water tank with water today. The cold water side works fine no issues. For some reason there is no water going to the hot water tank. I tried it hooked to city water and with the water pump. I opened the hot water tank pressure valve thinking that would help then pulled the drain plug on the hot water heater and nothing.
I looked around trying to find something obvious but can’t figure it out.
I looked on the back side of the hot,water tank and there is no bypass valve or anything like that.
Is there some kind of switch or valve in the freshwater system that would prevent water from going to the hot water tank?
moss9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 05:33 PM   #2

Figured it out. It was the check valve on the water heater.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:05 PM   #3

See, these forums help me out all the time LOL. You had a good conversation with yourself.

Anyway good to know this can happen. I wouldn't have thought there would be a check valve by the water heater but now I have to file this away so when that is the next thing that goes wrong I can check it out. Thanks.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Water Heater Check Valve

Moss9994, I am experiencing a similar issue with my water heater. Can you give me some detail on what you did to solve the issue? What is required to get the check valve working?

I am starting to get cold water working some what but nothing from the hot side. I have the circuit breaker off to the water heater because I'm afraid of burning the element. Do I need to have the breaker on to fill the heating unit tank?
2001 Country Coach Magna #5954
Cat C10 Allison Transmission and Hurricane Heat
JRadtheNoMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 06:11 AM   #5

The check valve opens by water pressure, so no electricity required.
I found a random photo on the internet that helps show where they are located.
There are two. One on the line going in the water heater and one on the line going out.
They are threaded into the water heater inlet and outlet and then the plastic supply lines connect onto the check valve.
Old 03-08-2018, 06:17 AM   #6

Photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B26DF681-A48A-40F6-BDB3-E31FAA963C4C.jpeg
Views:	73
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	194913  
Old 03-08-2018, 08:33 AM   #7

What year coach?
sanddan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 08:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss9994 View Post
The check valve opens by water pressure, so no electricity required.
I found a random photo on the internet that helps show where they are located.
There are two. One on the line going in the water heater and one on the line going out.
They are threaded into the water heater inlet and outlet and then the plastic supply lines connect onto the check valve.
Very few RV MFGs install check valve in the cold inlet side.......Winnebago and appears old Country Coach models

Hot outlet is common.....when 1 or 2 valve systems are used.

Remember.....RV MFGs are the ones that install the fittings/valves etc on the water heaters
The water heater mfgs do NOT install or ship them with check valves/fittings.

So one needs to check which valve system is being used...1, 2, 3 valves etc AND closely look at nipples on water heater tanks for 'flow direction arrows' (check valves)

The check valves are cheap plastic plunger/spring/o-ring assembly inside the nipple which can be plastic or metal housing.
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 08:15 PM   #9

Check Valve Location

After a slow process of replacing my cracked water pump, the broken pressure regulator, a pin hole leak in a small connector hose and replacing my water heater that had a leaking heat exchanger, whew. The water system is back, except for the hot water. Cold water is full on at all the sinks, toilet, shower and washing machine, but NO HOT! I know i'm close, and can only imagine it's a check valve, or is it? When changing the water heater, the hot and cold water connections don't have anything that appears to be a check valve. I'm not exactly sure what I'm looking for. The fresh water tank is full, tried the fresh water drain and it works as does the water pump. I have attached a picture of the rear end of the water heater and the other picture is of the water pump and regulator access area in the water bay. 2001 CC Magna, I can't wait to take a hot shower!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2976.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	246.7 KB
ID:	195727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2972.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	195728  

Old 03-17-2018, 06:04 AM   #10

This is what it looks like. It threads onto the hot water heater and then the supply lines connect to it. Mine had two one on the line in and one on the line out of the hot water heater.
Not sure if it is what is holding up water flowing thru your hot water heater but it was on mine.
Name:   6898D74D-13EA-4F82-9752-D10E2FD5FDC2.jpeg
Views: 193
Size:  33.1 KB
They only let water flow one way so make sure the arrow stamped on them is pointed the right direction.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:00 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by moss9994 View Post
This is what it looks like. It threads onto the hot water heater and then the supply lines connect to it. Mine had two one on the line in and one on the line out of the hot water heater.
Not sure if it is what is holding up water flowing thru your hot water heater but it was on mine.Attachment 195740
They only let water flow one way so make sure the arrow stamped on them is pointed the right direction.
OK, when I changed out the water heater both cold and hot brass water connections to the back of the tank were just fittings, not check valves. I am wondering if I should replace them with check valves? Would a check valve be located further down the water line, in a place I could not access? Since experiencing the no hot water issue, I have turned off the breaker to the water heater so I don't burn out the element. Would the electricity have to be on in order for the water to flow through the water heater?
Old 03-17-2018, 09:17 AM   #12

JRadtheNoMad, In the picture of the back of you hot water heater it looks like the top valve is in the off position. Don't know it is plumbed but shouldn't that valve be on?
Bluefoot53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 10:15 AM   #13

Bluefoot, there are three valves and in the picture both the cold and hot hand valves are running parallel with the water line (open) the third is a winterizing valve (closed) that would "blend" both hot and cold if it were open. I wish it was that simple.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #14

With water supply on.........
POP open the T&P Relief Valve on water heater to check IF water is going into water heater tank

No water going in.........then issue is with COLD inlet side (sliver nipple on cold inlet---check valve??----sure could be one)

Water is going in......then issue is with HOT outlet side

Narrow down where water does/doesn't flow then you can isolate issue

3 valve system doesn't need/use check valves.
Check valves are used in lieu of having to plumb/install shutoff valve.

Once you isolate flow issue (cold in or hot out) then you need to verify no check valves used and that Cold/Hot Valves 'actually open' vs handle just move
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, water heater, water, heat