Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-27-2014, 08:15 AM   #1

Norcold Refrigerator Change Out

I just ordered a Samsung 197 refrigerator to replace my Norcold 1200 series. My new Samsung will be running off of my inverter/house batteries when I'm traveling down the road.
My question is, does my engine alternator charge my house batteries when I'm on the road?
Thanks,
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2014, 11:12 AM   #2

Yes, it is suppose to.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #3

Only if the Echo Charger is working properly. From reading these forums, it seems the Echo Chargers have their share of issues. Ours doesn't work even though the LED indication says it does. Currently in the process of replacing it with the Magnum Smart Battery Combiner which came highly recommended.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:53 PM   #4

Normally your battery boost relay is activated by an oil pressure switch. If your engine is running the house battery bank is tied to the chassis bank efectivly charging both bank at the same time. When the engine is shut off the oil pressure releases the relay separating the two banks.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 10:04 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale C View Post
Only if the Echo Charger is working properly. From reading these forums, it seems the Echo Chargers have their share of issues. Ours doesn't work even though the LED indication says it does. Currently in the process of replacing it with the Magnum Smart Battery Combiner which came highly recommended.
Good input to get this tested as part of your change over. And yes, as you drive you should be maintaining both chassis and house batteries. If your coach has a battery monitor (RC7 Remotes came in many of these rigs.), you can run a test. Leave your coach unplugged overnight with a power draw (maybe leave on several lights). Check the battery level in the AM. Then go out and drive your coach for a few hours. Checking the battery level after this, should see them having obtained more charge. Possibly even fully charged at the end of a two hour drive.

(I only mention the above simple test, as many people don't want to go do at the battery testing. It would at least give you a warm feeling that your house batteries are being maintained as you drive.)

I know that some people who boondock quite a bit and want to conserve battery power demands, sometimes add a smaller draw inverter, dedicated to the fridge. This allows you to turn off the main house inverter when not needed, and would save some battery AH draw. Good quality smaller inverters are not that expensive, so might be worth talking over with the installer to see how much extra it would cost to do so.

Best of luck on your Samsung install!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 04:45 PM   #6

Smitty has a couple of excellent ideas.

Couple of points though... the Echo charger is to maintain the chassis battery when the house batteries are at a sufficient 'full' voltage. Not the other way around.

Second, if you have a decent multimeter, check the house battery voltage with the engine not running, and then start it up. You should see it change from 12.x to probably around 14.x if there is a direct coupling to the engine alternator.

Third, the idea of a smaller inverter makes a lot of sense. As an alternative, you could shut down some of the breakers to non need systems. Still, the bigger inverter has got to be less efficient even at lower output than a smaller, quality unit. From what I've read, the Sammy will run on a modified sine wave just fine.

And we need pictures of the install por favor, or it didn't happen!
Old 10-10-2014, 08:37 AM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Why run the refrigerator while running down the road???? We have a Norcold and shut it off while driving. 98% of the time we remember to turn it back on but I have left it off for up to 15 hrs and everything stays cold or frozen as long as we aren't in and out of the frig.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 04:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
Why run the refrigerator while running down the road????
Why not run it? If the charging system is working as it should, there shouldn't be any issues.

Tags
norcold, refrigerator