Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-27-2021, 02:47 PM   #1

On board air compressor

Does this thing have enough juice to fill our tire to these OTR pressures or am I better off going to the truck stop?

I'm also a little confused on the Tag tire pressures...build plate says combined axle weight is 14k and 120psi ...that doesn't match the Goodyear chart at all for those weights (7k per tire)

What's more accurate to go by.?. surely I dont want to under inflate...this is for 05 Magna..

I know I should be 6 corner weighted and will do so in future

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
a250gpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2021, 03:27 PM   #2

It is going to be tough to fill the tire using the onboard air compressor, the regulator is normally set too low to get to 120 psi ( I cannot get to 110 on my coach) so truck stop or truck tire dealer is the way to go. I also just purchased a Viair portable air pump just for this issue. It was a little pricy, but I like to have the power to take care of things at home or where ever on my own. Tried it out the other day on a junk car I was picking up and worked like a champ. using it on the RV tomorrow.

As far as your tire/tag axle pressures, I personally would go by what Goodyear recommends. Who knows what brand tire was on the Coach when it was new and that is what the chart in the coach was based off of.

My coach is running Sumitomo's and I have found the 110 psi (120 psi being max psi on sidewall) give best ride and seem to keep the tires happiest according to the TPMS readout. Tire pressure goes up to 120 psi and temps seem to stay pretty even at this pressure.
2001 Country Coach Intrigue "Chef's Getaway" #11199
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 08:15 AM   #3

So the other question I have is...
Is there a straightforward maths equation to determine loaded Tag weight.

On my build plate the Tags are supposed to be aired up to 120psi...my whole rear weight is just over 30k pounds from a CAT certified scale (half tank fuel, full water, packed storage)

The Goodyear chart would have my Tag pressures at 90 to 100 and that seems too low based on the build plate

As set now (108f, 100 int, 90r) the warm tires pressures are 130 even accross all 8, don't know temps..

Any help appreciated
ChAttachment 344461Click image for larger version

Name:	20210927_152740.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	344462
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 09-28-2021, 08:34 AM   #4

My suggestion would be this: (A) set all the tires at 100 psi and see how they do and how coach rides. Personally I think you are getting to much pressure increase now, which is from too low PSI causing heat to build up. Heat is bad IMO. If 100 does not work out go up to 110 and check again. (B) Go find a Goodyear Truck tire dealer and discuss with him. The data tag in your coach is good info, BUT as I said above, it was for who knows what brand of tire.

Good luck, hope this helps some.
Old 09-28-2021, 09:36 AM   #5

My Country Coach sticker says 80 psi tags and drive axle. I run 90 psi. I have 12r tires on drive and tag, 315s up front. Fronts run at 120 psi.
pogoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 10:00 AM   #6

Chris - I'll toss in a tip. The L/R weights can vary greatly on some coaches. CAT Scales usually provide Axle and Full Coach Weights, and if towing Toad weight too.

So when you are looking at the Tire Manufactures Chart using Axle weight, you could be low enough using the divide axle weight together single tire values, to make a difference. That difference could have you running down the road with too low of PSI for a specific axle.

Suggest:

> Find a location (Escapees do this at some locations around the country.), to obtain a 'Four Corner Weight' (Actually, with Tag included it will be Six individual axle weights.). I recommend being fully fueled, full water, full propane -and freshly loaded as if you are heading out for big trip.

> Use the highest weight for an axle. Set the same PSI based upon the Tire Manufactures PSI chart for all tires on that axle.

> I personally will jump to the next line on the Tire Manufactures PSI Charts, if the weight is towards the top of the weight range.

> I also add a 10% contingency to the recommended value. (Weight creep while traveling. Can lose a few PSI while on a trip, and still be properly inflated.)

===

Going over the recommended PSI per the Tire Manufactures Chart is OK, as long as it is NOT OVER the Maximum PSI for the tire. This way you can experiment for handling and ride comfort as dfuelman talked about. For our last three rigs, I've found that my handling was fine with the above mentioned 10% contingency added. (All were with Michelin tires, and I know from my automobiles and different tires - each can have their own characteristics as far as PSI and handling... So if it does not 'feel' right for to you, experimenting is the way to see if higher/lower (Lower, only if above tire Manufactures PSI recommendation for the weight.) makes a difference.

The governor of a OTR/Engine Compressor, can be turned up a little bit. It does add more pressure to the lines, so be cautions on setting it too hight... (Our compressor was turned up to 135PSI (Believe that was the value.), by Kaiser Brake & Alignment. So far, no problems. (This had nothing to due with inflating tires, as I too have the Air Viair, it was for Air Bag faster response.)

Best of luck to you. Have fun, be safe,
Smitty

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 06:56 PM   #7

Thanks all!

Ordered a Viair today..have it in a few days and will adjust as per the Goodyear chart as needed for feel and driving.

So far 3 long days driving this coach and I'm feeling well in tune with it...Was passed by a brand new London Aire and a new Newell travelling together today...had a laugh at those coaches still dont look as timeless as our Magna.

Lady said last night she is VERY happy with our upgrade...good times ahead.

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 09-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #8

@Smitty77
We will eventually schedule a 6 way scale..

Ironically (being a motorcycle road racer) I also suffer with the vague steering inputs of this coach...but so far very happy with our coach..and the easy work it'll take to get it back to 21st century factory fresh...

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 09-29-2021, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a250gpguy View Post
Thanks all!

Ordered a Viair today..have it in a few days and will adjust as per the Goodyear chart as needed for feel and driving.

So far 3 long days driving this coach and I'm feeling well in tune with it...Was passed by a brand new London Aire and a new Newell travelling together today...had a laugh at those coaches still dont look as timeless as our Magna.

Lady said last night she is VERY happy with our upgrade...good times ahead.

Ch
I just used my VIAIR for the first time yesterday. It is a little slow, but it gets the job done with patience. I did wind up using my air chuck though, the one that comes with the kit was a little too cumbersome for me and I like my gauge better also. One other note, the unit gets HOT, give it plenty of time to cool off before you put it away. You'll see what I mean when you are done with it. It's still a very nice tool to have in your coach.

Cannot beat a the quality of a Country Coach, my Wife loves ours's as well!
Old 10-05-2021, 03:30 PM   #10

Tire PSI

Rather than rely on a unknown air source like Truck Stops their air may contaminate the tires with water and compressor oil. I use Nitrogen in all of my tires , I found that on our Prevost Country Coach it likes 110 lbs. in every tire (Continental tires) which gives me cooler tires and a great ride. I carry a small High Pressure Nitrogen bottle and a set of gauges along with a Trusted Air Gauge which easily stores in a bay. Nitrogen gas is inert and the tire pressure always stays the same hot or cold. So far I have had to refill ($6.00) the bottle every 4 to 5 years. I exchange the bottle at the local welding supply.
JimDross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 01:23 PM   #11

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since we are sidelined right now I figured I would update this thread.

Our Viair portable compressor arrived in the mail before we left Alabama only to suffer a Hydraulic Fan catastrophe that has us stuck in Bowling Green waiting on parts...

I can happily report and verify the above that this little thing does get hot, takes a bit of time but works alright...

I was able to air up my fronts to 120, my rear steers to 110 and I plan on upping the pressure from 100 to 105 on the drives...Coach is quite a bit easier to drive over rough and crowned roads..still weaves a bit..honestly with our breakdown I havent been able to check hot pressures....

Life is an adventure

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211011_140231.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	345783
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-11-2021, 02:45 PM   #12

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfuelman View Post
My suggestion would be this: (A) set all the tires at 100 psi and see how they do and how coach rides.
NOOOOOOOOOO !

100psi would likely be dangerously low for his steer tires!

I agree, 120psi sounds like a misprint for your tag tires.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDross View Post
Rather than rely on a unknown air source like Truck Stops their air may contaminate the tires with water and compressor oil. I use Nitrogen in all of my tires , I found that on our Prevost Country Coach it likes 110 lbs. in every tire (Continental tires) which gives me cooler tires and a great ride. I carry a small High Pressure Nitrogen bottle and a set of gauges along with a Trusted Air Gauge which easily stores in a bay. Nitrogen gas is inert and the tire pressure always stays the same hot or cold. So far I have had to refill ($6.00) the bottle every 4 to 5 years. I exchange the bottle at the local welding supply.
I know quite a few guys running nitrogen for motorcycle racing and I've read several IMSA/Indy teams also run nitrogen..

I'll be honest..in the many many conversations I've had with Dunlop and Goodyear race tire distributors, I'm not at all convinced nitrogen is a legit solution for everyday use..

For sure a use in racing...but even there you have to understand the tire manufacturers design tires with an engineered pressure bloom due to heat production and nitrogen doesn't expand due to heat. It makes sense though to use nitrogen in an application where accurate data is critical when practice and testing is severely limited. Formula 1 or NASCAR being good examples.

As you said above you couldnt trust OTR truck stops nor could you contaminate your nitrogen with air and expect to record correct hot pressures or temperatures.

I do however applaud your commitment @JimDoss ..Takes some moxie to commit to that, even in a racing application.

I'm just not interested at all in hauling around a nitrogen tank in addition to all the other crap we haul around too...

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503
Old 10-12-2021, 12:23 AM   #14

And of course ALL Gases must follow I think its Boyles' Law...which is why I could never fully buy into Nitrogen for tires theory..

Ch
2005 CC Magna #6503

Tags
air, compressor