Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-15-2022, 05:38 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Parasitic draw

Some of you helped me out last week when I realized my lifeline 8DA’s were depleted. They are now fully charged and the RV is back in storage. Thank you for all your help!

When looking at the BMK on my brand new magnum display, with everything turned off (salesman switch, hurricane, etc.) It still shows -.02 amps being discharged.

Is there anything else I can turn off? Do any of you have a battery disconnect? Is this normal?
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2022, 05:40 AM   #2

I just manually disconnect house batteries while in storage
jcdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:48 AM   #3
Community Moderator

You might have a carbon monoxide detector on.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:38 AM   #4

My parasitic draw with the battery disconnect switch off is about 0.07 amps, so your 0.02 amps is pretty good by comparison. I think mine is the CO detector and maybe some unknown stuff.

I use a 50 watt portable solar panel to keep the batteries topped up while in storage this winter.

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 07:59 AM   #5

Parasitic Draw

Many motor homes have a 12 volt disconnect switch near an entry door. Sometimes it is called a "Salesmen Switch" because it is frequently the first thing a salesmen shows prospective customers.

Most of the time these switches do not disconnect all 12 volt appliances. Different RV's will have different things still working. These things may be propane detector, clock, power management system, etc.

Many owners report being able to store the RV with the switch "off" for 1 to 3 weeks before batteries need a full 14 hour recharge.

For longer storage, many owners install a battery disconnect switch near the battery bank. The owner installed switch disconnects all 12 volt appliances.

Owners report being able to store disconnected in this way for 6 months. AGM batteries may last 12 months before needing a 14 hour recharge.

Disconnecting a battery cable can have the same effect. Be sure to use disconnect method recommended for your RV. Magnum inverter/chargers have special recommendations. See Magnum owner's manual for instructions.
Persistent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 08:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
One of my biggest parasitic draws is the solenoid used for the salesman switch. If I leave the salesman switch on the solenoid itself gets very hot even without anything in the RV on. Heat=power. If I turn the salesman switch off my 325 watt of solar can keep up with leaving the battery disconnect switch on and the inverter on standby. It will still deplete the batteries overnight but through the day the solar charges the batteries. I started to try and track down other parasitic draws but decided it's easier to just turn off the battery disconnects.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 11:04 AM   #7

Sounds like something may be wrong with your solenoid. It should be a latching relay which requires no power when it is on or off, only power to change.

Your switch is momentary contact, right?

David
DavidEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 12:01 PM   #8

I agree it's not much of a draw! And if you do not have power for maintenance charging the bank while in storage (I thought you did, but the circuit had tripped?). - then yes, a mechanical 'Blade' disconnect of both House and Chassis will completely stop that draw.

If you have power for storage, and then monitor it with a product like iSocket - then I would run with that small draw!

Our previous Allure, at what I considered 'idle' (Which most do not, as we left our Samsung Residential fridge on, as well as our MS2812 too.) would consume between 17-22Amps... Our combo of Solar and being plugged into a 15A outlet, and thus MS2812 charge maintenance, was able to keep the batteries charged up well...

As further info sharing, with no attempt of power conservation, we consumed between 150-200A 'net' per day when Boondocking. Of course, the bulk of that was overnight, with no Solar! We did change out our X's 2 8D's to X's 4 L16 Lifelines for 800AH House Bank. With the 1250W of solar, we would usually be fully charged and in Float mode early in the day (Depending many factors, mostly the season of when in use!).

On a new coach. A good way to learn how your battery bank supports you, is to pretend boon dock! Either in our Driveway, or if in a Park, turn of Shore Power and see how long your bank supports you, to get a feel for things...

Best - Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 01:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I agree it's not much of a draw! And if you do not have power for maintenance charging the bank while in storage (I thought you did, but the circuit had tripped?). - then yes, a mechanical 'Blade' disconnect of both House and Chassis will completely stop that draw.

If you have power for storage, and then monitor it with a product like iSocket - then I would run with that small draw!
Smitty, thanks to you, I'm a new proud owner of iSocket! Just installed it today and it works great. Before I left town to come home, I was notified that the circuit had tripped and power was lost. I went back by and reset the GFCI (my neighbor and I are both plugged into it) and so far so good. Thanks for that great tip.

I was checking to see what .02 amps was like for other guys. We don't have a portable or rooftop solar panel...would love to have one and simply just not plug into the facilities power - but until then, that is what I have.

Another question: Why is the C02 detector not shut off by the salesman switch? Safety? I'll bet so. I wonder if there is a way to bypass it when in storage....

Thanks again everyone for all your help!
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:38 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
S
Another question: Why is the C02 detector not shut off by the salesman switch? Safety? I'll bet so. I wonder if there is a way to bypass it when in storage....

Thanks again everyone for all your help!
My CO2 detector is shut off with my House Battery switch. But it is a much older rig.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 05:50 PM   #11

I believe federal law requires co detectors be always active
BEACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:05 PM   #12

OP. Do you have a solenoid valve on the propane after the regulator on the propane tank. The solenoid shuts off propane to the coach if the propane detector alarms. That solenoid may be powered all the time, mines is. I don't know if it is powered by the house or the chassis batteries but you can feel if it warm and if so it may be the cause of your loss.

It would be helpful to other responders if you also post the model and year of your coach.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2022, 06:37 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by phays View Post
OP. Do you have a solenoid valve on the propane after the regulator on the propane tank. The solenoid shuts off propane to the coach if the propane detector alarms. That solenoid may be powered all the time, mines is. I don't know if it is powered by the house or the chassis batteries but you can feel if it warm and if so it may be the cause of your loss.

It would be helpful to other responders if you also post the model and year of your coach.
I have a switch for the said solenoid below the fridge. Since I don't use propane most of the time (only use it for BBQ at outside) I turn the switch off.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:25 PM   #14

I just installed a 300AMP Cole Hersey On/Off switch to disconnect my 4 house golf cart batteries from the coach during storage as there is no 120 volt power where I store my coach. I'm hoping it will extend the life of my house batteries as I'm only getting 3-4 years out of each set.
87Blackman is offline   Reply With Quote