Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2022, 11:11 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Power Steering Hose Replacement

Got a question for the group.......
Just returned from a trip down the Oregon Coast in which the high-pressure hose at the power steering box failed. Fortunately, it happened when we were backing into our camp spot not while traveling down Highway 101. I felt it go and quickly got the rest of the way into our spot and shut it down. 3 1/2 gallons of hot ATF was sprayed out onto the campground road in less than a minute, quite a mess to put it mildly. As the hydraulic system also runs cooling fan it would have been catastrophic on the highway and my on new hydraulic pump.

I ran a new 30' hose under the chassis from the pump to the steering box to get back home. Country Coach routed the steering high-pressure supply and low-pressure return hoses together with all the heater hoses and wiring harnesses down the center of the frame rails above the cross members. Everything is bedded in a hard black mastic at each cross member making replacing any of those lines/wires/hoses difficult to impossible.

Here is my question, has anyone replaced the high-pressure steering hose in its original location? The steering hoses are each inside a very tight split corrugated electrical loom. I'm wondering if I cut the hose at each cross member and wrestled the loom/hose out I might be able to re-route a new hose down that pathway.

Any experience doing this?

My other option is to install a lot of P-Clamps down the lower framework and leave it under the chassis. Not my preference but I have replaced the fuel line to the Hydro Hot above the cross members and it's nearly impossible to access all the cross members and deal with that hard mastic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Steering Hose Failure.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	378808  
Windward is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2022, 04:29 PM   #2

We lost the low pressure hose back near the rear axle due to chafing on suspension parts. Dumped the whole 15 gallons of ATF on I 5 south of Roseburg OR. It was towed to Cummins Coburg OR where they said no problem we can splice it good as new.

We drove home (Auburn WA)and parked for a couple of months. Headed out for scheduled event on eastern WA splice leaked and we lost about 4 gallons of ATF on WA 18 found on around the coach check at North Bend. Bought 5 gallons ATF at NAPA and managed to get it back to Freightliner repair in Pacific WA. They said it was a bad splice and repaired.

We next were spending 2 weeks with Grandson on Oregon Coast got back to Eugene and found drips of ATF. Took it back to Cummins in Coburg. They said Freightliner did a poor splice and replaced it.

We headed out 126 headed to the coast and it blew again dumping all 15 gallons of ATF again. Cummins Coburg sent out a mobile truck and they field spliced it and got us back to shop.

Long story short they said had to replace full length hose. Only way was clamped to frame outside of original passageway.

No problem since but was a major pain in getting here.

Jim 2008 Affinity 6890A
Hinmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022, 12:28 AM   #3

What a nightmare!! You spent a lot of time on the side of the road through all that. I did a thorough job looking for and padding chafe spots after a hydraulic hose rubbed through the radiator pipe on Lolo Pass last year. Lots of places things rub on under one of these things.

Today's progress was getting the old line removed. Brute force prevailed. Once I got it uncovered and unstrapped, I bent the hose end at the pump into an eye held with clamps and hooked a come along to it and pulled it out like a night crawler. No way could you just pull it out by hand. I had a fish tape in the end so I can now pull a cable back to use to pull the new one in. I'll lube the new hose up with Murphys soap to make it a little easier.

Been nice if Country Coach had put a conduit in there instead of gluing the hoses in place.
Old 10-19-2022, 09:36 AM   #4

Got it done. Not an easy process uncovering everything but doable.

If you lube the new line up, fitting and all can be pulled through the mastic from one end to the other.

Not sure why Country Coach did not use hardline with hose on each end?? Lot of rubber hose running from front to back up in that space between the frame rails.
Old 10-19-2022, 10:16 PM   #5

Imho it looks like it's been cut.. like something bounced off road and cut it.. you could add corrugated tubing to reinforce areas it's exposed to road hazards.. and you can add insulation to protect them from heat.. glad you got it.. nice job.. you saved yourself a lot..
Good luck and keep us posted
Old 10-19-2022, 11:34 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward View Post
Got it done. Not an easy process uncovering everything but doable.

If you lube the new line up, fitting and all can be pulled through the mastic from one end to the other.

Not sure why Country Coach did not use hardline with hose on each end?? Lot of rubber hose running from front to back up in that space between the frame rails.

Great job! Having that hose where it belongs is the best place for it. Far less chance of damage there.
Hinmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 07:33 PM   #7

Spare conduit

Hi Windward, there is a spare conduit running up the centre of my coach, right below the interior floor with all the other mass of cables hoses etc. I have a 2008 Magna 630, so can't say about other coaches but I accessed the conduit which is about 1.5" ID from the centre electronics room in the basement. (inverters, battery connections, breakers etc in the room). The ceiling is exposed in this area of the basement and you can see a section of conduit running rearward to the engine and and another piece running forward to the back of the Generator. I have my replacement hydraulic steering hose, like yours, in there, along with a large number of wires for lights, cameras etc, I have mounted on the roof. (wires run up the inside of the rear cap.) The purpose of the conduit is for fixes just like I needed, knowing there was not easy way to retrofit a hose into its original position. My original hose is dead and empty where it always has been.
Good luck
John
Old 10-26-2022, 07:56 AM   #8

That is nice. I looked but do not have such a conduit. My front to rear route is not so easy.
Old 10-26-2022, 08:22 PM   #9

Hose and fittings are brand specific.

Find a brand and part or description on the hose then you can seek out a company that can crimp In a splice.

Common with ag stuff.

Tags
ace, hose, power, replace, replacement, steering