Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2020, 09:12 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Question Premier and New CC

So I have placed an offer on a 2006 Affinity at Premier, and I am flying out on Sunday to see the coach and do a walk through to make sure it is what I believe it is.

Even though I have a blind confidence in Premier through videos and postings, I did hire Kevin Waite (former CC) to do an inspection prior to my arrival.

Two things I would appreciate
1. Things I should look for in a coach inspection that may not be an issue raised in a PDI, but something that came up from just use of the coach after the purchase.

2. Opening Modifications. Well I have some ideas, but if I miss anything let me know.
1. Wifi/Cellular System and Attennas (MobileMustHave)
2. Sofa to fill gap from missing chair
3. New to me and need to learn the value I saw here was Centramatic....
4. Interested on Dishwasher - love feedback
5. Roof Pic showed standard RV fan and if so would do Maxx Air Deluxe
6. Remove or upgrade OTA TV Attenna

Tires are Good, Services have been completed and Exterior was just detailed.

It has solar and need to learn about that

Coach:https://www.premierrvservices.com/20...h-affinity-45/
Xscape2theRd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Beautiful coach but all the CC's are generally that way.

I would get a nice leather lazy boy recliner for that space. In fact, it may be wide enough for two or a lazy boy reclining love seat or theater seat.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:08 PM   #3

I also had Kevin do a PDI before we bought our coach and he missed some significant issues that we paid a lot to fix once we discovered them post-purchase. Just be aware that his report may not be comprehensive, so I suggest you also look things over as carefully as you can. Having an independent mechanic double-check the engine might be advisable or at least carefully scrutinize the report of whomever performed the services you mentioned.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:52 PM   #4

we use the dishwasher as a drying rack.
Wifi? I built my own with a ubiquity antenna/router and wireless hub then used a basic switch to connect devices like the tv for netflix ect. Not sure ,with 5g on the horizon, i would put much money into it.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 05:45 AM   #5

Here's resource for mobile internet. Lots of good info.

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com
SGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:08 AM   #6

Some other input:

1. Things I should look for in a coach inspection that may not be an issue raised in a PDI, but something that came up from just use of the coach after the purchase.
(Best suggestion would be to spend several days at Premier, after your ~4 hour orientation. As questions come up on how something works, or does not work, write them down. Gary and the Tech assigned to your coach, will meet with you each day to review. This helps your learning curve on the coach, and things can be addressed before leaving. I'd also suggest going out for an extended day of driving. Jump on I5 and head South (Less traffic then going North.), and get used to the drive. See if you feel anything needs addressing. Rung your generator, and all three AC's for this period of time (Suspect you'll be using AC this time of year.), to be sure the generator can handle the loads. Also run your Over The Road AC's (Two if you have them, front and back.) and make sure they're running cold for you.) While camping in the back at Club Premier, run your AquaHot on diesel, and be sure that it is able to run/stop/restart multiple cycles. Run all three zones of your coaches heating, and check each of the heat registers for heat out put. (Windows open for this exercise!). And then do the same thing, but only on electric. Probably a double element Low/High on your AquaHot, start off with Low, run things a bit, then go to High, run things a bit more. Open your AquaHot bay, and check the expansion tank to be sure fluid is within the range. (Sometimes after a service, 'burping' is required.)

2. Opening Modifications. Well I have some ideas, but if I miss anything let me know.
1. Wifi/Cellular System and Attennas (MobileMustHave)
(Roof top 4X4 MIMO Omni Antenna, fed down to a cabinet you choose as a 'Tech/Communication' cabinet, is probably your bet source of useable cellular data speed while traveling. A MiFi or Hotspot that has external antenna plug in capability is one way to go. And on the RVMOBILEINTERNET site, they also have their 'BEST' fro their independent, semi formal, testing (Not a slam, but this is usually multiple field tests, vs strict 'lab' testing.), they have combination WiFi Routers with Cellular Data SIM card capable units. This would cover both your in coach WiFi rebroadcasting, as well as save one device by not needing a separate MiFi or Hotspot. For MIMO roof top antennas, I've had good luck and performance with MobileMark (Mine is 2X2 vs 4X4 MIMO, but performs well.)

I personally would not spend big money on a Cellular Amp at this time. I'd with the 3-5 years for 5G capable Cellular Amps mature and work their way down in price, and more importantly, for 5G to expand outside of the larger city areas. As a stopgap, the WeBoost Sleek is a moderate costs, and moderate boosting, Cellular Amp. For those times when you might need a bit of extra strength, placing a MiFi/HotSpot or Cellular Phone in the cradle, can make a difference. And 4G LTE will be around for decades. Another plus, buy a second stubby antenna, and you can move this unit to your Toad, for while traveling/exploring in fringe areas. (We do this, as our Sleek is our Backup unit, and we do carry in in our Toad in case it is ever needed. Occasionally using it in the coach.)

Picking the Tech/Communication cabinet, have 12 & 120V ran to the cabinet. Pick a cabinet in a non slide area, and then have a 1 1/4" conduit run from the cabinet to the roof top, into Weather Proof Junction Box, and feed your roof top cable antennas down into your Tech/Com cabinet.)

2. Sofa to fill gap from missing chair
3. New to me and need to learn the value I saw here was Centramatic....
(Over say 7 years of tire life on a wheel, the tire and wheel have many opportunities to lose 'balanced' condition. Weights tossed, pot hole impacts, etc. The Cnetramatic's constantly 'balance' your tire/wheel for changing conditions over that life span. I do have them on all axle positions on our Allure, and am putting them on our Magna too. I do still pay for balancing when having a tire mounted. In the overall scheme of things, and a 'one time buy' for your coach - it's not a major expense. IMO!)
4. Interested on Dishwasher - love feedback
(Looking to learn this too! Dear Wife is concerned about pots/pan storage, so this maybe something we decide if we use enough to keep. I do know for boon docking - that Dishwashers use very little water. Time will tell for us.)
5. Roof Pic showed standard RV fan and if so would do Maxx Air Deluxe
(Have both on our Allure, went with the Maxx Air on the rear vent only, as when closed it has a lower profile, less shading risk to solar panels, then the Fantastic Fan with the Maxx Air cover over it. I like the ability to reverse the Maxx Air to pull in cool air at night, but think newer Fantastic Fans do that too(?). We'll go use are as is, with the Fantastic Fans, as 'if they ain't broke' comes into play. And still sorting out future solar panel approach for the Magna (Which we have not picked up yet.))
6. Remove or upgrade OTA TV Attenna
(We added the RAZR AUTO DIGITAL OTA antenna to our Allure. It works well, probably pulls in 95% or so of what the Sensar manual crank up and Directional Digital Antenna does. But frankly, our current traveling, has us using our DirecTV for now (The Magna has Dish, and not sure we'll activate it.), and stream via Netflix, Prime, YouTube TV, and a few other odds and ends. And we've ripped all of our assorted arsenal of TV shows and Movies onto SSD drives, and cast these thru our Ruko and or SmartTV. We'll go use things as is with the Magna, and decide if we want Dish or not later. I'll hold off on the Over The Air antenna swap out for now. And heck, admit I don't know if a previous owner has updated the 07 antenna to digital or not!)

======

Getting an independent inspection is fine. But Premier, Gary on this part of the business, is fair to work with. His techs do a full inspection of the coaches before delivery. I almost had him and his crew do a full inspection on a coach we were looking at. But my wife and I elected to not pursue that coach for a few reasons. I'd have zero reservations on, as a buyer, having Gary/Premier Tech's do a PDI. Heck it's probably a plus, as the Tech doing the PDI for you, would probably be the same Tech involved in repairing an items found that need attention before delivery. IF the coach is on Consignment, then that list can be used with either Lou or Damon, whomever your working with, to work back with the Seller of the coach on a final price point. Nothing unfair about this to the Seller, and or, the Buyer.

Now that being said, Kevin Waite a good asset too. But, Premier also has the same talent, and actually a 'deeper bench'. And an advantage of working with Gary on the Pre Purchase PDI, is if something is missed - he is a stand up guy and will work fairly to resolve any issues.

I did my own inspection of the current Magna we're buying, and understood that during PDI work before delivery (Going on now, with some other mod's.), things that came up would be on me. With the relationship my wife and I have had with Premier, we know we be treated fairly. And heck, no question Premier is in business to make money. Both on sales, storage and service - and you know, I'm OK with this - as I want them to be around for along time!

$.02! Keep these pennies toward your first fill-up!

Best of luck to you, relax, expect new start up problems, allow time in your schedule to sort things out before leaving the region. Another idea, after several days at Premier. Run down and spend a few more days at Seven Feathers, or go to the coast like at Pacific Shores in Newport. That will give you a bit more time in the region, so if needed, you can swing back by Premier again. And go slow, learn and live in your coach, before making decisions on any other modifications you might want to make. The coach you are buying, is a solid foundation to 'make into' whatever you want it to be - and as I've mentioned in other posts, still have a better built coach then many new coaches today, at several hundred thousands less costs... All, again IMHO!

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:40 AM   #7

Angry Inspection was it worth it?

Well I did pay for a 3rd party inspection and you could walk a Diesel Pusher through the things missed (caught by the PDI) and even visual observations caught gaps in the story, so while I will not discourage them, it was not worth the money nor did I get the results I expected.

When I was reviewing the inspection, I asked about the Solar. He seemed surprised like he did not know it has solar, so how did he do the roof inspection? But maybe the solar was outside of his purview and why it was not mentioned. So I asked if it may have been setup for "boondocking" he stated it was probably set to trickle charge the house batteries. I would need to upgrade the inverter and he sold that unit. So good to know, but it had already been upgraded and the new display in the coach would have told him that.

Now we had a leaking radiator overflow hose, leaking transfer pump, awning issues, Skylight needing resealed, loose screws in fans, oil leak in hydraulic tank, keypad not functional were all items the inspector failed to find.

So I feel I did not get my money worth with the inspector. It was a disappointment, as he was not cheap, but he did have some useful information and not a bad person, just a poor job.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #8

Sounds like Premier and your independent inspector both did poor jobs of vetting the coach. Not good. Did you find the leaking radiator, etc. through your own walk-through?
Old 08-06-2020, 11:29 AM   #9

I humbly offer some perspective, their are far more skilled owners in this forum than I. My approach to buying our 2006 Intrigue was not scientific and not smart...but it worked. I will say I had a 5th wheel and truck camper previously. The coach obviously is far more complicated in comparison.
First, I found the mfg I wanted, a Country Coach. I looked for ~2 years until we finally narrowed down to two we were willing to fly and look at.
Second, the conditions by which we were willing to fly to see a coach were we were going to buy form the owner and the coach had to have been stored indoors.
Third, and for me the most important, I assessed the character of the owner. What he knew of the coaches operation, repairs and maintenance. And, emotionally, was the couple attached to the coach.
Of the two coaches, we bought a coach that was well used, well loved and well taken care of. We love the Jubilee layout, don't mind the 90K miles nor the dings and scratches in the paint.
We did buy it well because I already had a sense of the service cost required, the repairs needed and the upgrades we desired.
To date, I do not regret it. I feel very fortunate as we love the coach and have a terrific relationship with the former owner, an absolute gentleman.
My wife and I still pinch ourselves and can't wait to go out again.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ55 View Post
Sounds like Premier and your independent inspector both did poor jobs of vetting the coach. Not good. Did you find the leaking radiator, etc. through your own walk-through?
Premier did an excellent job in finding and fixing all of those issues. I did a visual inspection before the PDI and found items they may have found with the PDI. all good with Premier
Old 08-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xscape2theRd View Post
Premier did an excellent job in finding and fixing all of those issues. I did a visual inspection before the PDI and found items they may have found with the PDI. all good with Premier
Thanks for clarifying this. And it was what we've experience so far too during our PDI. This is one of those areas where experience counts. And I feel the Tech's working out PDI have lots of experience!

And in fairness to those who are out in the field doing pre purchase inspections for owners. An item can test fine during an inspection, and just one day later have a problem. Many times I hear of people who have bought used coaches, after having PDI's, and then within the first few months of usage - things pop-up. If a coach has not been used regularly, or exercised, getting a few thousand miles on it, and or using sub systems for the first time - things can reveal themselves as problems, that a 4-6 hour inspection will not reveal.

I look at it as knowing going in, that I'm buying a used coach. Usually I avoid cars, boats, coaches - where I can not see the documented trail of maintenance history. And I do my best to talk to the previous owner(s) when possible too. But I budget a set amount, more so for a coach, for the maintenance catch-up items, and also for the cosmetic items outside and inside that make a coach into 'our coach'. Then you just roll with it and go...

Best to all,
Smitty
Old 08-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #12

Smitty, what if any modifications are you doing to the ISX engine re: valve problem. Understand it is less likely with 600, but wondered if you were doing anything.
Larry Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Young View Post
Smitty, what if any modifications are you doing to the ISX engine re: valve problem. Understand it is less likely with 600, but wondered if you were doing anything.
At first, while on the hunt for a coach. I'd budgeted funds towards swapping out heads... But after digging deeper, and some offline communications with other CM870's ISX600 owner's - I'm going to let things simmer for a bit. Do some more research on Ugly Fix, and other EGR Delete software, and EGR Delete mechanical/software options.

So for now, nothing.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty

(And for the record. I never brought the ISX Dropping Valve up in the purchase of this coach. I felt that the highly reduced rate of failures of CM870 config, pre DPF (Likely a redundant statement.) - was really not a major concern, and felt the price was fair without badgering about this potential problem. (And also admit. HOPE I MADE THE RIGHT CONCLUSION)
Old 08-08-2020, 08:16 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xscape2theRd View Post
Thanks for that clarification, good to know Premier did good work.