Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 05:27 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Problem with Splendide not drying

I thought you all might like to know of a problem we had with our Splendide washer/dryer and what we had to do to solve the problem.

Really there were 2 problems, both most likely contributing to the symptoms:

1) there were 3 pennies in the water pump input. The owners manual discusses how to check and solve this. You have to remove the front kick plate, then unscrew the round cap until the filter element can be removed. Remove the items and reinstall the filter element and kick plate.

2) there was no air discharge in the lint hose. I had to remove the rear access cover. remove one end of the rubber drum to case hose. There was a large lint plug in this hose. Once I put this back together and reattached the lint hose, the dryer started drying again.

Halleluiah, no large repair bill, just some slightly less than routine maintenance. Yet another maintenance item that was not mentioned when we bought the coach. I hope this helps someone else that might be experiencing a Splendide dryer that is not drying.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
I thought you all might like to know of a problem we had with our Splendide washer/dryer and what we had to do to solve the problem.

1) there were 3 pennies in the water pump input. The owners manual discusses how to check and solve this. You have to remove the front kick plate, then unscrew the round cap until the filter element can be removed. Remove the items and reinstall the filter element and kick plate.

2) there was no air discharge in the lint hose. I had to remove the rear access cover. remove one end of the rubber drum to case hose. There was a large lint plug in this hose. Once I put this back together and reattached the lint hose, the dryer started drying again.

Halleluiah, no large repair bill, just some slightly less than routine maintenance. Yet another maintenance item that was not mentioned when we bought the coach. I hope this helps someone else that might be experiencing a Splendide dryer that is not drying.
Thanks for posting this. Good to know for future reference!
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:31 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
We have the stacked Splendide pair. I have wondered how I would get to the dryer vent to clean it if necessary. I haven't lifted the dryer but suspect, like most dryers, it is not too heavy.

On mine, I wonder if I could just remove the outside vent outlet cover and stick a shop vac hose in there and suck out any lint??
Old 02-28-2014, 05:32 PM   #4

There is also a lint filter on the back of ours that we have to clean out periodically. That may have contributed to your lint plug.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
thanx just bought a 1999 tradewind with a unit like yours so now I ready for the problems.
pops2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:42 PM   #6

Unfortunately, our Splendide does not seem to have a filter to clean. Also, getting at the back of the dryer was difficult because the coach is so finished removing the dryer from it's cubby hole is next to impossible so I had to go through an access door in the closet and reach behind the dryer in a dark area with not enough room to get both arms into, and no place to prop a flashlight, you get the picture. Getting the lint hose off the back of the dryer is real fun, then getting the access panel from the back of the dryer, then getting one end of the rubber hose loose, all with the above mentioned space and light limitations was so much fun. This large, wet lint plug most likely has been building for a while.

edit: I just checked again, and cannot see any lint filter, or even a place where a lint filter might be located. I just do not know.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-28-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post

Which model Splendide do you have? We have the model 2000 and there is no air coming out the outside vent when it is drying. thanks!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:50 PM   #8

Please remember, they made vented and non-vented models of the 2000 and 2100.
Koop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 05:52 PM   #9

Ours is the 2000S. It is an outside vented model. I just looked at a parts breakdown for the cabinet of this model and do not see any lint filter. I suspect that is why this model was placed in the cubby hole in our coach. I'm not kidding when I say I would not attempt to remove this myself. I would have to disassemble much of the cabinet it is in. Doing the maintenance I mentioned above was a couple of hour job. It was NOT fun!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 02-28-2014, 07:42 PM   #10

CC usually installed the washer/dryer with a lint filter on the rear of the unit. On our coach, there is an assess hole in the cabinet above the unit on the left hand side. Open the hole and feel around on the back of the unit and you can feel a filter on the back of the unit. Lift it up and pull it out.

If you look at the installation instructions for the unit, there will be a picture of the filter. It is mounted on the washer/dryer. This filter is an option and does not have to be installed and some coach manufacturers elected not to install it.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #11

About the Splendide, how about the single unit - 2000, washes but stops before rinse. The knob ticks around rapidly but the cycles do not finish.

Really appreciate your help with this one, as the washer is holding a couple of towels hostage. Can't open / unlock the door.

:-)

Kelly
DrKellyRas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 09:51 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by docKelly View Post
About the Splendide, how about the single unit - 2000, washes but stops before rinse. The knob ticks around rapidly but the cycles do not finish.

Really appreciate your help with this one, as the washer is holding a couple of towels hostage. Can't open / unlock the door.

:-)

Kelly
A call to Westland Sales will get you some help. Be advised that parts for the 2000 are hard to come by now but there are some arts units out there.

Toll Free:1-800-356-0766 #5 (503-656-2280)
Direct Fax:503-722-9202
E-mail:service@westlandsales.com
Hrs:Mon-Fri, 7:00am - 4:30pm (PST)
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #13

Kelly, to get the door open cut the power to the washer by unplugging or throwing breaker. Wait about 10 minutes and you should be able to open door. If you want to try and reset turn dial to one of the reset positions and reestablish power
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #14

For those of you that have the 2100 model w/d with no lint screens, here is the procedure to clean the lint from the dryer.

1. Start the unit without clothes and with the dry time off on cycle # 11. When the water stops entering the unit push and hold the start button until all the lights come on then release the button. *NOTE: If the water is not at least half way up the glass repeat this step.

2. Move the cycle knob to cycle # 2 push the extra rinse button then press the start button once (do not hold) then let it run through that complete cycle.

Do this 3 times then try the dryer. If the dryer works then do this procedure (one time only- not three) once per month.

Ryan King
Westland Sales
Tel: 800.356.0766 ext. 23
Tel: 503.210.3923
ryan.king@westlandsales.com
jeepersrus is offline   Reply With Quote