Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2017, 04:16 PM   #15

Seems like you've stumbled on my primary approach to problem solving. Procrastination, occasional choice words followed by a firm look when after letting things simmer, an attempt to see if the stars have aligned to make the problem go away...

(Please, let's keep that a secret between us!))

Good chance you had cold enough temperatures to have cause the problems, especially if they 'self corrected'... The slow closing of the valve, and then back on, will sometimes be enough to shake things flowing again. (More so in our Bounder then in our CC, which even in temperatures in the teens, has never failed to flow.)

Best of luck to you,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2017, 08:08 AM   #16

Really think a good stink eye helped on this one. Waiting for the stars to align, and the fact the temperate to increased help a great deal. I can hardly contain my self until I give my credit card to the Arizona Propane people.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 01:20 PM   #17

Update: Talked to the Service Manager (Brad) at Arizona Propane.
He thinks its a coincidence that the cooktop started working because the temperatures warmed up.
Thinks the regulator could be bad, the regulator was purchased early 2016.
He said if it happened again while I am Casa Grande to call service 480-990-2245 and they would dispatch a Service Tech.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:15 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two thoughts: When a tank is filled it is customary to close the outlet valve, SOME technicians will then open it after disconnecting hoses, Some do not.

There may be a safety shut off (Electric Solenoid) operated remotely by the Explosive Gas (propane) Detector.. Or not, it may have a "Bypass" control.. Or not.

Finally there is an excess flow shut off on the tank outlet..

But your symptom sounds like the tank valve was closed and not re-opened and you just had the high pressure gas in the line from the tank to the regulator to burn off.

Page 2: Someone mentioned "Warmed up" There are two different products sold as "Propane" One legally, the other illegally.

Doing a bit of rounding: Propane has a "Boiling point" of about -40, at -40 you do not ask C or F (Crossover point, both the same). so the odds of you camping at below crossover ... Well very low.

Butane is less expensive, burns very very very slightly hotter, And has a boiling point about 0C (Freezing point of water) or 32F.

Some dealers, Mostly in the South, may well sell you the lower cost Butane, but bill you for the more expensive Propane and pocket the difference. This is called Fraud.. but it happens.

And when the Mercury drops below freezing... NOTHING WORKS.
Old 02-10-2017, 08:28 AM   #19

Your propane "sniffer" may have timed out. Newer ones are designed to quit after about five years.
Easiest way to check if it still functions is to take a butane match stick, flick it so it lights, then blow out the flame but keep holding the "trigger" open so butane still comes out. Hold this gas end down to the "Sniffer". If it is still functional the alarm will sound after a few seconds. Reset then necessary.
By the way, new gas sniffers are not equipped with the solenoid shutoff function.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 09:52 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
My sensor started giving problems, new internal sensor is not available and would have to replace the tank valve too. Cost was close to $200 for parts alone. Since I already had a good size battery bank and Jenn Air home refer I replaced the propane cooktop with an induction unit. Now I'm all electric so I probably should add a couple more 8D batteries but so far it hasn't been a problem.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:39 AM   #21

All quite informative. We have never been in the South. My opinion, the below freezing temps, contributed to the pressure gauge shutting down.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #22

Both sniffers have been replaced however, testing would be prudent. Its on the list of things to do.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:00 AM   #23

would love to go all electric however, happy wife happy life.
Old 02-11-2017, 09:29 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
would love to go all electric however, happy wife happy life.
Buy a portable induction cooktop to try out. If you look around you will find sales of a cooktop with frying pan for under 90 dollars. We purchased a Nuwave set at Kohls. Wow - far superior to electric cooktops and IMO better than gas. Less heat, comparable temperature control and much easier cleanup and maintenance of the top. Will not take long for her to see the same benefits.

Made our decision to order all electric coach very easy.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:11 PM   #25

Sticking Solenoid Valve

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
No I have not, since I do not know what it looks like. Will be going outside shortly, sounds like something the Arizona Propane guy did and fixed it. Is it a grey knurled knob? Which way clockwise or counterclockwise?
Righty tighty, lefty loosey. Right turns off. Left turns on.

A few weeks ago I had a problem with my refrigerator giving me a check light when on gas. Found out it was the propane leak detector solenoid valve sticking. Turning leak Detector off and on a few times freed the valve. Camping World charged me $129 to tell me that. ��
Coach #10984
apatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:04 AM   #26

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You ask about a "Grey Kurled Knob"

About 1.5 to 2" in diamater? That is the main tank outlet valve, Or if you like the main SHUT OFF valve.

Insurance companies tell us to turn it off (Close it) when in motion (I don't) and Pump Jockies are supposed to close it when refilling.

You said it took but 3 gallons.. The following is 100% Guess.

But you refilled recently. it was hot out, the Pump Jockey closed the valve as he is supposed to.. NO REQUIREMENT HE RE-OPEN IT, many do, but not all, and he did not.

It then got cold... Propane, like most liquids "Shrinks" when it gets cold, the tank does too but not nearly as fast. Thus when COLD it held 3 more gallons.. This is why "Full" is actually 80% of the tank's capacity by the way, to allow 20% headroom for expansion.

The Service Technician simply opened the valve.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:38 AM   #27

DW loves the concept and its in her cart.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:43 AM   #28

No more LP refrigerator. Reset the propane detector, which was installed last year. Took pliers and hit the solenoid as hard as I could, this is also a year old.

Tags
propane