Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2020, 07:39 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
PTO Wet Kit Installation

Unfortunately I have the dry spline in my CC. I've located the conversion kit through John Davis JOHN DAVIS RV SERVICES INC. but the installation is above my pay grade. He gave me a name of a local shop in Florida he used years ago that I contacted and the Service manager had no idea what a wet kit was or what it was for so I scratched him off my list.

There are quite a few old threads on this but I haven't been able to locate any that mention anyone in Florida that can do the installation.

I'm on the east coast of Florida but can travel if needed if anyone can make a recommendation, preferably with wet kit experience.

Thanks for any help

Ed

ELeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #2

As you know Ed I replaced mine, I believe a good mechanic with the ability to press the shaft in and out can do the job. Does not have to be a diesel/HD mechanic.

I am available for phone conversation during the process. Johnís kit is very good with an instruction sheet; John answered a couple of questions for me while I replaced mine on the road in 2017. He was transitioning to his other career at the time and possibly heís out altogether now.

Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #3

Try Eric Olstrom in Tucson. Olstrom Custom Coach 8300 Valencia bldg #4 520-624-2024. I know he can do it. He knows more about Country Coach then anyone else in the industry.
RV-LEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 09:02 AM   #4

Installed with Mechanic Son

Ed,
How many miles on your coach? Do you have HWH air suspension with the "raise" feature? My son and I did the installation in about 4-5 hours whilst taking our time as we had not done one before. My son is a WyoTech grad and is a diesel hot rod guy when he is not working on big rigs and heavy machinery....now in St. George, Utah. My son is 6'-2" and 240lbs....thick bodied. Any larger body and they will not be able to get under the coach.

My PTO wet kit also came from John Davis....and - yes we consulted with him a few times during the process. My 2007 CC Allure had about 35,000 miles on it when the wet kit was installed. The offending splined shaft showed signs of wear. As you know...if this fails, you lose steering and cooling as both are driven off the PTO. The bearing press requirement will limit DiY....if you do not have access to a shop press.

Regards,
Gary Wittig
E-mail back if you would like my son's contact info so that perhaps he can be of some help to you or the mechanic that you decide to use.
Gary Wittig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 12:38 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELeland View Post
Unfortunately I have the dry spline in my CC. I've located the conversion kit through John Davis JOHN DAVIS RV SERVICES INC. but the installation is above my pay grade. He gave me a name of a local shop in Florida he used years ago that I contacted and the Service manager had no idea what a wet kit was or what it was for so I scratched him off my list.

There are quite a few old threads on this but I haven't been able to locate any that mention anyone in Florida that can do the installation.

I'm on the east coast of Florida but can travel if needed if anyone can make a recommendation, preferably with wet kit experience.

Thanks for any help

Ed

I would just look for an Allison shop. They do this stuff all the time.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:35 PM   #6

Just be aware the other half of the splined connection coming from the PTO side of the hydraulic pump may be damaged also.
I could not find a replacement splined hub for our rig and had to order a new hydraulic pump so both mating splines were brand new.

I also decided not to get the wet kit and instead installed the splined shaft kit that is drilled, end to end, with a grease zerk installed on the outboard end of the PTO. A few squirts of high viscosity grease every 6 months or so and no worry of a tranny oil leak.

'97 Intrigue 6CTA Cummins 8.3 Allison 3080 MD
Boomper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 07:10 PM   #7

had ours done in december of last year. paid a big rig shop 550 for the installation and was done in 48 hrs
Old 11-02-2020, 07:41 AM   #8

Installed wet kit myself about 30 days after I purchased my rig. It had approx 65000 miles on rig. Splines on hyd. Pump for fan were destroyed and had to replace pump at big $$$$$. Got kit and pump from J Davis. Installation of wet kit does require a press, which a friend had. I had never done any repairs like this before and was very apprehensive but it turned out Entire job was pretty easy to do. Other than travel to friends to use press, total time was about 3 hours which included removing and replacing fan pump. 3 years later, with 98000 on rig, wet kit is working great. No leaks, seepage,issues, etc. Glad I did it because hyd pump would have failed. Splines were really bad.
Old 11-04-2020, 03:36 PM   #9

From what I have read seems a dry will fail in about 30k miles.
Mine is dry and I have over 110k miles? So now question leave it be or see if it can be changed to wet without issues.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:39 PM   #10

Two choices:

Wet kit

Pull the pump and grease the splines annually.
Old 11-05-2020, 04:58 PM   #11

I've asked for a price on the wet kit...waiting.
2004 Magna 42' 3 slide Chalet CC#6315M
C-15, 515HP 1650tq.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 09:54 PM   #12

My CC had 63,000 miles when I bought it and is unknown if former owner had ever greased the dry coupling. When I split the pump off the PTO all the bolts were corroded so I doubt if it had ever been touched.

I got the kit from John Davis which includes a new PTO shaft but that is only 1/2 of the coupling. My pump input shaft was also badly worn from no lubricant so I had to replace the pump as well otherwise it would not be very long before both sides would fail again.

Here are some pics of what mine looked like.

Spendy specification oversight that Country Coach left owners to fix.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pump_PTO_Shaft1.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	417.9 KB
ID:	307034   Click image for larger version

Name:	PTO Shaft.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	307035  

Windward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 10:05 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windward View Post
My CC had 63,000 miles when I bought it and is unknown if former owner had ever greased the dry coupling. When I split the pump off the PTO all the bolts were corroded so I doubt if it had ever been touched.

I got the kit from John Davis which includes a new PTO shaft but that is only 1/2 of the coupling. My pump input shaft was also badly worn from no lubricant so I had to replace the pump as well otherwise it would not be very long before both sides would fail again.

Here are some pics of what mine looked like.

Spendy specification oversight that Country Coach left owners to fix.
It was a maintenance item just like the U-joints. A few squirts every 5,000 miles and no problems. Should have been noted in your owners manual.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomper View Post
Just be aware the other half of the splined connection coming from the PTO side of the hydraulic pump may be damaged also.
I could not find a replacement splined hub for our rig and had to order a new hydraulic pump so both mating splines were brand new.

I also decided not to get the wet kit and instead installed the splined shaft kit that is drilled, end to end, with a grease zerk installed on the outboard end of the PTO. A few squirts of high viscosity grease every 6 months or so and no worry of a tranny oil leak.

'97 Intrigue 6CTA Cummins 8.3 Allison 3080 MD

Could you share a link or any information about the kit you installed?
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install