Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Radiator fan operation

I am interested in hearing from other CC owners about how their radiator fans operate. I seem to understand that when the engine is first started, the fan runs at high speed for a brief time, then slows to an idle until engine coolant temp calls for more cooling and the fan speeds up again. Also, the fan will run at high speed if the coach AC is switched on.

Is my understanding correct?

My fan runs at high speed at start up and I don't think it runs at any other speed, or at least it does not seem to run at any other speed. The folks at my local Cummins Coach Care center (when I had it there for chassis service and a general check of systems) only said the fan was working fine. I am not sure they know how CC set up the system or if that varies with different coach manufacturers.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 08:32 PM   #2

I have the C9 Cat and my fan comes on at 204deg and turns of at 197deg. I can hear it also and works the same if the AC is on or off. These temp reading are form the SilverLeaf 330.
2 stroker
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I am interested in hearing from other CC owners about how their radiator fans operate. I seem to understand that when the engine is first started, the fan runs at high speed for a brief time, then slows to an idle until engine coolant temp calls for more cooling and the fan speeds up again. Also, the fan will run at high speed if the coach AC is switched on.

Is my understanding correct?

My fan runs at high speed at start up and I don't think it runs at any other speed, or at least it does not seem to run at any other speed. The folks at my local Cummins Coach Care center (when I had it there for chassis service and a general check of systems) only said the fan was working fine. I am not sure they know how CC set up the system or if that varies with different coach manufacturers.
I have a 2006 Inspire 40' Da Vinci floor plan. I just had a new radiator put in last month and two new thermostats. My fan runs on high speed from startup and never drops down. I asked the dealer to check the fan controller when the new radiator was installed, but they ran out of time. The mechanic did tell me at if you unplug the fan, it will default to high speed. When he unplugged mine, it was already in high mode. I will be taking it to Cat dealer to plug into the diagnostic ports to see if there is any info there. Mt understanding is there are 3 sending units that tell the fan what speed to run, so I feel certain 2 of them are not functioning. Please let me know if you find the answer to constant high fan speed problem.
fasteddie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:22 PM   #4

Some coaches use data from the ECM to control the fan controller.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #5

I believe that there's a whole discussion on the fan control. try a search in irv2
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:22 PM   #6

Call Scott at Source Engineering. He fixed my fan dilemma.

Source Engineering Inc.

Source Engineering 541 935 0308
joeplazek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Some coaches use data from the ECM to control the fan controller.
This is true,the parameters are located in the file section for the ISM., the way you described the fan running is the correct way. When you have your ECM programmed, be sure to check all the settings, mine was off on several.
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mytime View Post
This is true,the parameters are located in the file section for the ISM., the way you described the fan running is the correct way. When you have your ECM programmed, be sure to check all the settings, mine was off on several.
I was poking around under my rig today and I do not have the Sauer-Danfoss fan controller gizmo that I have read about that is mounted to the fan shroud. There is a round electrical device attached to the fan motor and nothing else.

So, should the folks at Cummins be able to check/reset the fan control parameters in the engine ECM?
Old 08-12-2013, 08:56 PM   #9

I had to have my fan speed controller replaced a couple of years ago. The fan always ran at high speed. Now it changes speed based on need. I figured something was wrong as every time we drove through an RV park with any dirt/dust on the roads we would have a vast mushroom cloud at the back of our coach and people sitting outside on their patios gasping for air. Works fine now. However, if you come in off the road hot you will get the mushroom cloud.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #10

Just read your note about having the fan controller replaced. I have been told there are three sensors that give input to the fan controller. Did any of those have to be replaced or just the controller itself. May I ask who did the work? I am having difficulty finding qualified repair people in Prescott, AZ.
Thanks,
fasteddie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #11

For us Country Coach in Junction City provided the controller part and Temecula Valley RV in CA put it in.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:08 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
This is the only gadget I can find related to the fan on my coach:

It looks nothing like the Sauer-Danfoss controller I've seen in pics. I have sent an email to CC tech support inquiring where my fan controller might be located but have received no reply.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Update and FYI for anyone else with the round gadget attached to the fan motor. CC tech support advises that is the fan controller for my coach. They say in some of the later CAT applications and in many/most of the Cummins ISL applications, the fan controller was like mine and was mounted directly to the fan motor. So, mystery solved. Now I just need to find out if this one is shot and needs to be replaced.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:07 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Update and FYI for anyone else with the round gadget attached to the fan motor. CC tech support advises that is the fan controller for my coach. They say in some of the later CAT applications and in many/most of the Cummins ISL applications, the fan controller was like mine and was mounted directly to the fan motor. So, mystery solved. Now I just need to find out if this one is shot and needs to be replaced.
Gary, Just wondering if you had cummins check the parameters for the fan controller? My controller is not mounted to the motor, I have the older type on my ISL, not too sure as to how yours works, but there area couple of temp sensors that send info to the controller, I think. I know the type I have is not repairable, but wonder about yours, they are a little pricey.
Marvin, 07 Allure, 31459
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan, radiator