Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #1

Rebuilt Aquahot problem

I had my hydro hot system (now called Aqua Hot), rebuilt by John Carrillo of "Heat My Rv", in Colorado, this March, and everything has been going good until this morning. Here in Colorado springs, the overnight temperature dropped to 1 degree above zero a few nights ago, and our heating system kept us warm all night (diesel and electric both working .

This morning I noticed that only the electric system was working ( it is only a secondary heating source). The diesel system stopped working about 5:00 AM. I went to the tank and checked everything, including the manual, and indicator lights on the board. And there were no lights on except for the ones for the electric heating element.

The transfer fluid is full, fuel tank has about 110 gallons in it, and everything looks good.

For some unknown reason the diesel burner is not firing. All of the stuff on the inside has been replaced with new components, and I am plugged into 50 amp service. I left a message for John, he will eventually call back. But in the mean time, I call upon my experts in the field to help solve this dilemma.
efstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
There are several things that could be the cause. Fuel filter has water in it, Ignitor bad, burner controller bad, flame sensor bad or dirty, ..... Have you looked at your control board to check for red lights ?
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 09:54 AM   #3

Yep, check those items. The easiest being the Control Board light indicators. And also the light on the switch inside the coach when you turn on diesel, is it lighted. How has the 12V supply been to your coach? Any hiccups you are aware of? Would not hurt to push the Reset on the control board (I use a broken in half round tooth pick. It's small enough to slip into hole, strong enough to trigger the reset switch, and wood is safer then metal...).

Just to be sure, is this the 450 series of AH?

Best of luck to you. And please let us know what you determine to be the problem, as it could help others...

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2020, 10:15 AM   #4

In my prior post I mentioned that the lights were blank (control board) except for the ones for electric. No red lights, just green. I have been hooked up to 50 Amp for two weeks, so that is not a problem. All of the "guts", including the fuel filter, ignitor, etc are brand new as of March 2020.

Yes, this is the 450 series. I will try the reset button, even though the electric part of the system s working fine.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:20 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Rebuilt Aquahot problem

When it quit working did the diesel light inside the coach go out?
If yes this is an indication of a problem with the Webasto Controller. The root cause could be from one or more of several items. Control light in matrix below is the Diesel Burner Light at the switch.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1427.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	306272
Old 10-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #6

When I turn on the diesel switch inside the coach it lights up for about 30 seconds and then goes out.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:55 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
That indicates a problem with the Webasto. The troubleshooting matrix provides a rough guideline on what might be the problem.

I had the Webasto Controller (box mounted to side of the Webasto Burner) fail on ours which caused same issue.

This is a manual for the burner.
https://www.suremarineservice.com/si...300-repair.pdf
Old 10-28-2020, 12:03 PM   #8

Do you hear it fire in that 30 seconds? If it does I would clean off the flame sensor. It’s not seeing a flame so it shuts back down.
If it’s not firing I would unhook the control box for a few minutes and try again.
Could be coil, control box, electrodes or a bunch of other things.

Good luck
Pointrow
Old 10-28-2020, 12:17 PM   #9

Yes they are very reliable until they're not. I had my Webasto 2010 standalone unit refurbished last year 'just in case'. And it worked fine for awhile but then failed. Turns out it was the controller. I bought a refurbished controller and it has worked fine ever since.

Flame sensor could definitely be a culprit if it tries but quits. But I suspect something else in the system. I'd start by verifying everything they did in the "rebuild". They could have gone through it entirely but the controller could fail at any time and they would not have been able to predict that at rebuild time.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 08:49 PM   #10

I'll throw this out there just in case... Did you treat your diesel fuel with winterizer/anti-gel before that super cold night? If not, I wonder if gelling occurred and now your AH fuel filter is clogged. Does your generator run?
Old 10-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ55 View Post
I'll throw this out there just in case... Did you treat your diesel fuel with winterizer/anti-gel before that super cold night? If not, I wonder if gelling occurred and now your AH fuel filter is clogged. Does your generator run?
That could be a good call. Would gel up occur if it was running ?
Greg
40' Tag Axle Quad slide CCI #11811
16 Jeep Wrangler, Airforce One
gnvrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
It should not gel up if it was still running on electric. That should keep the bay warm enough. Mine was doing the same and I replaced the burner controller, no change. Turns out it was the ignitor coil. It would work fine several times then it wouldn't until it decided to work fine again.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 02:20 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pointrow View Post
Do you hear it fire in that 30 seconds? If it does I would clean off the flame sensor. It’s not seeing a flame so it shuts back down.
If it’s not firing I would unhook the control box for a few minutes and try again.
Could be coil, control box, electrodes or a bunch of other things.

Good luck
Pointrow
Since he's been at 6,000 feet would the burner be running a bit rich and soot up the sensor?
2005 42' Country Coach Intrigue Ovation LE "Nairobi" #11868, Cat C-13
Him: USAF, Retired
Her: RN, CPC, CPMA, COC
With Skye the mini-Aussie velocimuncher and Maybelle, her ferocious little half-sister
Jean n Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2020, 03:33 PM   #14

I Will find out on Wed what is wrong with this thing. I am taking it to Frederick Colorado ( ABOUT A 90 MINUTE DRIVE) to have John at "heat my Rv", take a look at it

Since he rebuilt the unit in march this year, it is still under warranty.

Tags
problem