Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: Power Tech CD7000 - Repair or Replace?
These are work-horses - 5k hours is just getting broke in! Repair it! 1 50.00%
Be smart. Bite the bullet and get a new/used gen and don't worry about the black-hole of cost you are about to spend in repairs! 1 50.00%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2017, 07:34 PM   #1

Cool Replace Power Tech CD7000 generator or repair?

I'm a relatively new (since March of this year) owner of a 1996 Country Coach Intrigue that I purchased with relatively low miles (22k) and that had a remodeled interior and seemed very well maintained with the exception of some clear coat issues (seems pretty common for these). Clean engine, new tires, etc. and got it for $25k. As usual, everything worked fine, was clean, seemed in great condition when I bought it.

I bought it largely for use for my son's soccer tournament travel. We live in Dallas and spend summers in pop-up tents traveling around in 100+ degree weather watching my son play and I decided to make the most of it and get a coach we could travel and relax in vs. sitting in scorching sun for weekends on end.

After a few 1-2 day trips uses (and, ironically just after a full gen service!) after I'd put less than 18-22 hrs use on the gen (it had about 4,850 hrs when I bought it), my Power Tech CD7000 generator overheated and shut down at the WORST time which happened to be about 1am at a campsite where my ATS decided to stop working as well and prevented me from using shore power leaving me with my wife and 3 kids in 100+ degree Texas weather! Lots of terrible smells plus leaking fluids (both oil and coolant). Literally it had not run more than 1-2 hours since full fluids/filters service.

I had it removed by the good folks at 276 RV Center in Rockwall, TX (who did the gen service) and had taken to a Power Tech authorized repair facility (Cantwell Power in Ft. Worth, TX).

Well, today the head tech called today and said he thought I'd be in for $3-4k on a rebuild and due to the amount of heat that the gen had sustained, he felt it was better to replace than repair it. On top of that, he didn't have one to sell me, he just said he'd hate to take my $ knowing I'd likely be back within short-order and have to spend more/replace it anyway.

I have a few questions and immediately apologize in advance for asking anything that might be covered in another post (though I've read nearly everything I could find on irv2 related to Power Tech CD7000s!)...

1) Does this sound right to folks? I think ~5,000 hours is a lot for a generator and, given they are a Power Tech repair facility, their line of work includes repair and they don't have another to sell me the fact they are turning down my $ to repair it makes me inclined to trust their recommendation to replace.

2) If replacing is a good idea... what is the best way to find a reliable used Power Tech CD7000/7000 gen (I know "reliable" and "used" are contradictory!)? I've never had to hunt for one of these and quick eBay and Craigslist searches are yielding (some) limited options at best.

3) Has anyone replaced a Power Tech CD7000 with another/newer model? It seems the CD7000 was a VERY small unit comparatively speaking with dimensions of 33.5" x 24.5" x 18.3" and I have not found much that closely match those dimensions and will fit my '96 Intrigue existing gen compartment without lots of painful (=expensive) retrofitting.

I'm a complete newbie to the RV world and while mechanically inclined (wrench on my own 4x4 trucks and Harley's!) the world of a house on wheels with all sorts of things to break/fix/learn how to repair is new to me - especially 20 year old diesel generators!

Thanks in advance for advice suggestions!
mavrikjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2017, 08:58 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
If my PowerTech ever fails and needs serious repairs, I think I'd have to think long and hard about replacing it with an Onan .... much much much quieter than PowerTechs.
2007 42' Country Coach Intrigue #12149 CAT C-13, 2014 SRX, Roadmaster Sterling, SMI AirForceOne
FMCA, Good Sam, CCFI, CCI, NWCC
CarlAda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #3

Welcome to the CC family. I don't know anything about PT's but the Quiet Onan's are almost silent and will give you years of reliable service. Just my .02.

You bought a nice coach but with 22K miles, it's done it's share of sitting for a 1996. Just take your time on PM and you will get the bugs worked out and will have a very nice coach for you and the family to enjoy for many years to come. Enjoy the ride.
barclay7568 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:09 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Let me answer your questions the best that I can. I also have a PT 7000 in my Monaco, and it has 3000 + hours and works great!

1) Does this sound right to folks? I think ~5,000 hours is a lot for a generator and, given they are a Power Tech repair facility, their line of work includes repair and they don't have another to sell me the fact they are turning down my $ to repair it makes me inclined to trust their recommendation to replace.

5000 hrs. is not a lot of hours if it has been maintained properly! I have buddies in the trucking industry that have many, many more hours than that on theirs and still running great! As you don't know how it was maintained before you got it, I would take their word for what they are saying, But, I would get a second opinion! Did they tell you why it overheated? Since they are the ones that just serviced it?

2) If replacing is a good idea... what is the best way to find a reliable used Power Tech CD7000/7000 gen (I know "reliable" and "used" are contradictory!)? I've never had to hunt for one of these and quick eBay and Craigslist searches are yielding (some) limited options at best.

Since the PT 7000 is not the most popular diesel generator out there, there will be less of them around used! I would call the MH salvage yards to see what is available, also call the trucking salvage yards to see if they have anything too? These were used on many different MH's and semi's!

3) Has anyone replaced a Power Tech CD7000 with another/newer model? It seems the CD7000 was a VERY small unit comparatively speaking with dimensions of 33.5" x 24.5" x 18.3" and I have not found much that closely match those dimensions and will fit my '96 Intrigue existing gen compartment without lots of painful (=expensive) retrofitting.

From the looks of your generator compartment, it is much bigger than your generator, so take the measurements of the whole compartment, and look online for a replacement that will fit!

OK, with that said, I will give you a # of a guy that services the generators made by Double Eagle Sleeper Manufactures, after they went out of business, he started a repair shop in northern In. his name is Tim Weaver, #1-574-538-1010, and he may be able to hook you up with a used unit, or refer you to someone else that can help you.
I had one of the "said" generators on my Semi before I retired and it was a great unit! They are small in size, and might be what you could use in your CC? Give Tim a call and see what he says? you never know?
The one thing that troubles me with the shop in Texas, is why they can't rebuild your PT? The motors are a 3 Cyl. Kubota diesel, as far as I know? and the generator part can be retrofitted also? Get a second opinion!
Hope this helps you in some way! Rail!
Old 07-24-2017, 11:24 PM   #5

I have the same rig and generator. Last year my genie quit working. We figured out it was the voltage regulator, $450 and the main solenoid. Brain of the unit, I think that was $100 Unit now works but doesn't put out as clean a pure sine as it should. Was told it's the windings. Power Tech doesn't make that side of the unit any longer. Was told it was a "cast" part and can only buy a new piece for like $3000 [emoji22] They are old units and it may be better in the long run to replace with a newer, maybe bigger Onan. I looked and an 8k is like $9000 Good luck...
UncleBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:10 AM   #6

I am curious what actually failed? The Powertechs may seem second hand but there are a ton of them in rv's, boats and many other applications. From what I know the Powertechs have a Kubota motor, same as Onan. There may be a slight noise difference but, the Powertech has better fuel efficiency. I also notice more questions on Onan problems on here than the Powertech. Our CC has a powertech and I like it very much. Our friends rig has a Powertech with 3,800 hours and it just purs away also. Look at visone salvage they have many used units you could swap out. If it were me I would stick with Powertech.

Let us know what failed I am curious.
2000 Country Coach Allure #30476
2007 Subaru Outback
Winters in Ocala, summers in Pa and North East US.
funjnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjnt View Post
I am curious what actually failed? The Powertechs may seem second hand but there are a ton of them in rv's, boats and many other applications. From what I know the Powertechs have a Kubota motor, same as Onan. There may be a slight noise difference but, the Powertech has better fuel efficiency. I also notice more questions on Onan problems on here than the Powertech. Our CC has a powertech and I like it very much. Our friends rig has a Powertech with 3,800 hours and it just purs away also. Look at visone salvage they have many used units you could swap out. If it were me I would stick with Powertech.

Let us know what failed I am curious.
Thanks all for the replies!

For those asking what failed, I was told that the head gasket failed and coolant was leaking out from the head. The tech told me that the paint on the head was wrinkled and peeling from the heat and some plastic components were deformed from the heat as well.

He said he is concerned that the head or block may be cracked but of course wouldn't know before getting inside it.

I probably made a mistake by not checking the coolant level before firing it up but as it had literally been fully serviced a week before I took it out and not run at all (other than an hour or two after they serviced it to cycle the fluids through) and I didn't see any leakage under the gen compartment I just started it and ran it for ~1hr while parked in Walmart to keep the AC units running while we got supplies for the trip.

When I got back out it has shut down and had lots of black soot stains on pavement from exhaust plus some oil and coolant on pavement (pics attached). I restarted it briefly but immediately shut it off when I witnessed deep black smoke from exhaust and smell of burning coolant.

I only ran it again for another 15-20 min a few hours later when I discovered I couldn't get shore power at campsite and was trying to troubleshoot my ATS and it didn't shut itself off (but smelled terrible presumably from burning coolant).

Looks like Colaw RV in Carthage, MO has a used PTS CD7000 with 1700 hours for $4750 on eBay... Not sure if that's a fair price on it but it's 5 hrs from me in Dallas...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1054.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	347.4 KB
ID:	170040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1058.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	625.4 KB
ID:	170041  

mavrikjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:40 AM   #8

The PO of my '99 Allure had problems with the windings and had the generator "head" replaced at about 1,000 hours with a 8000W Powertech. It still has the original Kubota 3cyl. I've had two shutdowns due to overheating the Kubota in the Texas August heat a couple summers ago, but it started right back up after cooling off and topping off the coolant. I think there are some things you can do to get better airflow around it in those hotter ambient situations.

If it were me, I would upgrade the walls of the generator space while it is out with additional sound insulation blankets and marine plywood (search this forum...someone has done that), and locate install a used/salvaged CD8000. Shop around for both the salvaged unit and a shop for the labor.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcolmac17 View Post
The PO of my '99 Allure had problems with the windings and had the generator "head" replaced at about 1,000 hours with a 8000W Powertech. It still has the original Kubota 3cyl. I've had two shutdowns due to overheating the Kubota in the Texas August heat a couple summers ago, but it started right back up after cooling off and topping off the coolant. I think there are some things you can do to get better airflow around it in those hotter ambient situations.

If it were me, I would upgrade the walls of the generator space while it is out with additional sound insulation blankets and marine plywood (search this forum...someone has done that), and locate install a used/salvaged CD8000. Shop around for both the salvaged unit and a shop for the labor.
very similar to my happening... mine is a cd8000 with 1100 hrs. 3 years ago in a summer near arches np in utah, at 110 deg outside i ran both a/cs at max. it overheated and the protection kicked in. cooled off in an hour, added more coolant and it backed up again.

i replaced two things in 5 years - a voltage regulator about $220, and the fuel shutoff relay for $80. other than that, bullet proof.

i agree with others that search around for a used. there are many rv junkyards in KY, MO area. when you install, better replace the fuel lines between the fuel tank and the genset while you are at it, if has never been done.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:15 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
"Looks like Colaw RV in Carthage, MO has a used PTS CD7000 with 1700 hours for $4750 on eBay... Not sure if that's a fair price on it but it's 5 hrs from me in Dallas... "

I paid $9200 Installed for the 8/10 K custom built one from Double Eagle Sleepers in Shipshewana, In. back in 2004! They are out of business now, but they built/made everything from the box it was in, they ordered container loads of Kubota 3 cyl. engines, and the Marathon generator heads! It was basically the same thing as the PT, but they used a brass water pump and used the big truck radiator as the cooling unit for the generator! It served two purposes, better cooling, and it kept the big motor warmed in the winter month's! The name and # I gave you in a earlier post is one of the guy's who designed and installed these on the big sleeper trucks!
That said, $4750, for a used PT CD7000, is a bit pricey! I would tell them you want to hear it run and see it generate power first, then decide what to offer! Also call around to the other salvage yards, and see what you come up with! Russ Fisher Salvage (Terre Haute) Semi's, and a couple more in In. would be worth calling, let Google help! Also call the big sleeper Co's, as they all have diesel generators, and may have some laying around? ICT, ARI, are two that come to mind! Never know?
Good luck! Rail!
Old 07-25-2017, 11:42 PM   #11

Just for the heck of it, google Honda Diesel generators......there's a hole lot of other brands that also show up
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 11:12 AM   #12

I have the PT8000 in my '99 Allure. Has served me well for the past 16 years with very little issues. I have serviced it regularly each year, oil and all filter changes and a rad flush about 3 years ago. I was going to upgrade to the Onan but after looking at the price of $8500+ I decided to live with the noise. We do not dry camp much anymore.

Regarding the shut down one thing I have found out over the years is that when sitting and running the genset in hot weather it will shut down on overheat. As I looked for the problem I found the following:

The genset has three openings on the bottom. The fresh air intake for radiator cooling is towards the rear of the unit. Next going forward is the hot air exhaust for the radiator. The next one forward is the hot air exhaust for the generator itself.

When sitting and running the hot air exhaust from both the radiator and generator will mix with the cool air for the radiator and continually raise the temps until the system overheats.

I fixed that by cutting a plywood board and just slid it between the fresh air and the hot exhaust air. This keeps the two from mixing and allowed the genset to continue to run.

BTW if you do this make sure to level the coach before you place the plywood under the coach....I learned the hard way

When I was looking at replacing the genset the Onan was my first choice but after reading many posts on issues I leaned more towards a PT.

Wish you the best in making your decision, it's a tough one. Please let us know what the final outcome is.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 02:33 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
When sitting and running the hot air exhaust from both the radiator and generator will mix with the cool air for the radiator and continually raise the temps until the system overheats.

I fixed that by cutting a plywood board and just slid it between the fresh air and the hot exhaust air. This keeps the two from mixing and allowed the genset to continue to run.

BTW if you do this make sure to level the coach before you place the plywood under the coach....I learned the hard way
making perfect sense. when it happened to me, it was sitting there.

back to the op issue, i'm tentatively thinking that his genset might not have been bad at all. the kobota engine is very forgiving, and the overheat protection is robust. i am not sure and just a pure speculation whether the genset had been honestly diagnosed...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrikjc View Post
I'm a relatively new (since March of this year) owner of a 1996 Country Coach Intrigue that I purchased with relatively low miles (22k) and that had a remodeled interior and seemed very well maintained with the exception of some clear coat issues (seems pretty common for these). Clean engine, new tires, etc. and got it for $25k. As usual, everything worked fine, was clean, seemed in great condition when I bought it.

!
That interior is gorgeous! Do you know who did it and can you put us in touch?
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, generator, power, repair, replace