Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2018, 07:09 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Replace surge guard

I am planning to replace my existing surge guard (it seems to be having some issues....noted in a previous post) and I am considering the Progressive Industries PTX50. While I like the hardwired unit, I am thinking an advantage to the portable unit is the idea that if you have a surge that disables the surge guard (even though it protects the coach), the portable unit would allow you to still use shore power while waiting for a replacement surge protector. The obvious disadvantage of the portable unit is the potential for theft. The new PTX50 does have a bracket for a cable lock.

What else am I failing to consider?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2018, 08:05 AM   #2

I installed a hard wired unit, wired it myself. It is simple and requires no action other than plugging in as normal.
Either way, if I have a failure of the EMS that is related to campground power problems I would not reconnect without protection, probably not at all unless their power system was properly inspected by a licensed electrician.
For me the choice was simplicity of use and one less piece of gear to fiddle with on set-up.
Both will function equally well.
Polyian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyian View Post
I installed a hard wired unit, wired it myself. It is simple and requires no action other than plugging in as normal.
Either way, if I have a failure of the EMS that is related to campground power problems I would not reconnect without protection, probably not at all unless their power system was properly inspected by a licensed electrician.
For me the choice was simplicity of use and one less piece of gear to fiddle with on set-up.
Both will function equally well.
I agree. And, if you read the manual for the hardwired EMS, it can be bypassed very easily if there is a problem with the device itself.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net...ed-comparisons
Old 04-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I'm a big fan of of portable for the reason you gave, If I smoke the surge guard, I can remove it.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
After talking with Progressive Industries decided to go with hardwired unit. Lower cost than portable, has bypass switch, and is field repairable. Portable is not fixable if it takes a hit.

Tags
ace, replace, surge guard