Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #1

Replace the Heart Interface Inverter Freedom 20 with ?????

After 18 years of almost trouble free service the Inverter quit the other day. I opened it up and blew the dust out of it, checked the fuses connections etc and didn't find anything wrong. Plugged it back in to shore power and it fired right up. Not too sure i'm trusting it so trying to be proactive I thought i would look for a replacement. There are a lot out there that say theirs is the best. Anyone here have some suggestions for a quality replacement? Mine is the 2000 watt model. Thanks for any input.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
After 18 years of almost trouble free service the Inverter quit the other day. I opened it up and blew the dust out of it, checked the fuses connections etc and didn't find anything wrong. Plugged it back in to shore power and it fired right up. Not too sure i'm trusting it so trying to be proactive I thought i would look for a replacement. There are a lot out there that say theirs is the best. Anyone here have some suggestions for a quality replacement? Mine is the 2000 watt model. Thanks for any input.
I replaced mine with a Magnum MS2012 PSW inverter. After reviewing the specs on both, i determined that this unit was comparable in power output, and used all the same sized wire so no re-wiring would be required. I briefly thought about going with the Magnum MS2812, but it would have require me to replace my 00 battery cables with 0000 battery cables. Not a huge deal, but I was really was looking for an easy swap. So the MS2012 it was. Have had it about a year now and it works great. . . . and all the appliances love the Pure Sign Wave power.
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:22 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtwinwilly View Post
I replaced mine with a Magnum MS2012 PSW inverter. After reviewing the specs on both, i determined that this unit was comparable in power output, and used all the same sized wire so no re-wiring would be required. I briefly thought about going with the Magnum MS2812, but it would have require me to replace my 00 battery cables with 0000 battery cables. Not a huge deal, but I was really was looking for an easy swap. So the MS2012 it was. Have had it about a year now and it works great. . . . and all the appliances love the Pure Sign Wave power.
VT, I saw an earlier post of yours, Nov, 2013 and you talked about the refurbished unit. Did you go with that or a new one?
Thanks.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Old 04-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #4

We installed the MS2812, plus all of the components (BMK, AGS, SBC and probably some others I forget!

If doing to day, I'd look at the MSH (Hybrid) series, because we do have 1200W of solar, and like the Hybrid's flexibilities it adds to power to the coach. In places where they charge for electricity, this adds options.

Best of luck to you!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 01:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burfman View Post
VT, I saw an earlier post of yours, Nov, 2013 and you talked about the refurbished unit. Did you go with that or a new one?

Thanks.

I ended up buying a new one off Amazon. They had the best price going and included free shipping.

Back in 2013 I just thought the inverter was bad. Turned out to be a bad breaker. Last year there was no doubt. It quit working , so I killed the power to it checked all wires to be certain all connections were solid.

When I turned the power back on, the unit started to sizzle and crackle like and arc welder. Smoke and flames started coming out the vent holes on top! I remember thinking to myself . . . well I know it's shot this time! 😝
vtwinwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 02:20 PM   #6
Community Moderator

i replaced the exact unit with a magnum ms2812. direct swap. with a new remote mc-50. about 2 years now, perfect!
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:52 PM   #7

Thanks all for the quick and valuable feedback. Spent the morning cleaning the unit, blew out all the dust, used electronic cleaner and sprayed all of the components I could get at and cleaned the entire battery compartment as well. As some of you know with this model the battery box is open to the elements and after a few dusty roads that box gets real dirty. After I was done I plugged the coach back in and closed the breaker and wallah the unit started purring away. I putted around for the next two hours and it topped off the batteries and dropped down to the trickle charge holding at 13.9 vdc which is typical on my coach.

So not really wanting to part with $1000+ I'm going to keep my eye on it and see what happens.

Thanks again for the support. This is really a great forum.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Old 04-22-2017, 05:48 PM   #8

Sure sounds like McGiver was smiling your way on that one...

Hope it keeps on truckin...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 05:59 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Replaced my Xantrex with a Magnum Energy 3000 watt hybrid. Didn't need it but why not. Bought all the stuff that I needed, auto gen start, controller, battery monitor from http://www.imarineusa.com/. They are the cheapest place to buy from. To see the cheaper price, yo have to put the item in the shopping cart.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:30 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Agree Magnum Energy makes good stuff and they have great tech support.
Old 04-26-2017, 09:58 PM   #11

Working on the 4th day after my super cleaning of the Freedom 20 and so far all is good. Did a short two day trip to Sedona AZ and all went well. Time will tell.

Thanks to all for their input and suggestions...
'99 Allure 36' #30307

Tags
ace, inverter, replace