RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:00 PM   #1

Replacing a Villa Sofa

We are planning a slight remodel late this fall at OMC. We are doing 12x24 tiles from the front to the bedroom. Bedroom will get new carpet. The TV will come down, and be placed directly behind the passenger seat where a 52" J style love seat is at now. The TV will be placed in a cabinet with a power lift.

Now opposite of the new tv cabinet in the slide out is a 76" sofa. Even though it still looks new, the back of this sofa is very firm, and makes it quite uncomfortable. We can't get any sofa because its on a 5" raised slide out. Villa said that we can get a leg rest, but it won't recline. Has anybody replaced theirs, and what brand, and model did you go with. We don't want to use ottomans because we like to keep things neat in the coach, and don't like things lying around when not in use. Villa is 17 weeks out, so need to place an order here in the next month or so.

We have looked into doing a reverse set up where the tv cabinet would be on the slide out. But then there is not enough room for a love seat behind the passenger seat, unless we take some space from the dinning set, which we don't want to do.

Thanks
bneukam is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2017, 09:19 PM   #2
TR4

Brett,

I'll be watching this thread. I installed my TV where the old one was located. This is my first RV, so figured this was the best location. Then I saw some posts where people installed them in a cabinet and they popped up in the back. This seems to me would be the best viewing angle. I don't like laying on my back looking up at the TV.
Here's a picture of my TV. I'm looking forward to seeing your new setup. I also removed all the carpet and installed maple flooring. I left the existing tile because it has the electric floor heating.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	159338   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	159339  

Name:	IMG_0197.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	159340  
Old 04-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
We are in the same debacle with the couch. After looking at having the old one rebuilt/recovered, we found it cheaper to spend the $$$ on a new Villa. We sat on some Flexsteel and they were not comfortable
Old 04-24-2017, 07:17 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We replaced both the Villa sleeper sofa and the opposing ugly jackknife sofa with furniture we got at Countryside RV Interiors in Junction City. The sleeper sofa was replaced with a nice reclining leather loveseat with center console. It was from Best Furniture. We replaced the smaller jackknife sofa with a Flexsteel. We think it is pretty comfortable but we use the reclining loveseat most of the time. Our coach had a raised carpeted box housing the aqua hot hoses and some of the workings for the slide under the jackknife sofa. The folks at Countryside had a lot of experience with that and easily modified the bottom of the Flexsteel sofa to fit. We have been pleased with the changes.

Countryside had the Flexsteel sofa in stock and ordered the loveseat. It only took a few days to get it.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #5

Thanks everyone for the posts so far. This is going to be a one time remodel, so we want to get it right.

Bill, thanks for the photos, your floor looks nice. Any issues with the heated floors? We are planning to put in a couple of zones under the new tile.

This is the first time we've ran into a road block with owning a 36'. If I had a 40, then we would just install a new reclining sofa behind the pax seat, with the TV cabinet in the slide out behind the driver. With going down to just one sofa, and that being on a 5" raised slide out, it is limiting what we can do.

We love the outdoors, but we like to end our day watching a good movie. Having a good viewing setup, with a reclining love seat/sofa is very important.

I will give Countryside RV a call as well. Keep the posts coming, I would love to hear any, and all ideas, or suggestions.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:13 AM   #6

Name:	IMG_0965.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	159397Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0966.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	214.6 KB
ID:	159398Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	244.3 KB
ID:	159399

Here is some photos of the rectangular tiles we are looking at. This was a coach that OMC just finished.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:12 PM   #7
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post

Bill, thanks for the photos, your floor looks nice. Any issues with the heated floors? We are planning to put in a couple of zones under the new tile.
Brett,

The heated floors are a Country Coach installed option. They're sooooo nice to walk on when it's cold. We only use them when we're connected to power, so they don't get much use.

Because of you, I'm now designing a maple cabinet for my new pop up TV.

Bill
Old 04-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #8

Bill,
Glad I could add to your to do list

The power lift mechanism runs 950. I am making my cabinet just deep enough for the tv, which is about 12". That way if I have to go the ottoman route they should sit nice along the front of the cabinet.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:48 PM   #9

I will also be watching this thread as we have an 05 Country Coach Intrigue and we have wanted to swap out the jackknife couch for a pair of recliners but that 5" rise on the side is a deal breaker so far. Don't forget to take plenty of photographs for those of us who are visually inclined.
cavedvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #10

Purchased a Lexa over the winter and have been bringing it up to snuff. One of the items we wanted to update was the jackknife couch behind the drivers chair. As others have said, the couch had to be custom built due to the raised platform that contains electrical and other hoses. When I called Villa, I was put in touch with Mike Ramirez. Once I gave him my coach number he pulled up the plans of our exact coach. He had been personally involved in the design and project management of the furniture in our Lexa. He also had 14 additional yards of the fabric we wanted to use in the assembly of our new jackknife couch. Crazy enough it was fabric from the same lot that was used in the assembly of the passenger side seat cushions we were looking to match. Placed the order with Mike, requested some alterations from the original dimensions and received the couch last Thursday. About 8 weeks from order to receipt. We elected to go deeper on the seat depth as I'm 6'4" and wanted more room to relax when watching a movie. Also raised the arm height a few inches. Love the final product! The deeper seat also provides a greater surface area for sleeping when we invite friends or family to join us. Villa International is Top Notch!

David
2003 Lexa Odyssey #6154
Burlroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #11

David,
I talked with Mike on the phone as well. He knew exactly what sofas I had. He told me to dance on my sofa to try and break it in. So one day I passed on the gym, and went straight to the motorhome. After 30 minutes of walking on the sofa with no luck what so ever. This thing is built like a tank. It's so firm, almost like it's trying to throw you off.

I also called Countryside RV in JC. They said that they could put in a reclining sofa/love seat on the slide out. They would have to extend the current slide out floor to match the depth of the sofa. But the sofa seat would be 5" taller. I am 6', so no problem, my wife is 5'6", so her feet may be dangling. Right now I think this is our best option. And it maybe something we'll just have to try and see how it works. But honestly I'll do anything to get a nice recliner.
Old 04-27-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
TR4

Brett,

Now my wife wants a new sofa as well! I shouldn't have mentioned your new project. How much will you have to extend the slide-out floor? Will the frame around the window (sticks out approx. 2") be a problem for the recliner?

I'm going to convert my two drawer desk to accommodate my new pop up tv. I'll add an L section (about 10" deep) to the left of the cabinet. I've ordered some maple panels that will match the wainscoting in the dinette for the front of it. I'll also cut down the drawers by ten inches.

Burlroad,

Can you post some pics of your sofa?

Bill
Old 04-27-2017, 09:58 AM   #13

Bill,
We have not made up our minds yet which route to go. There our 3 options .

1). A regular sofa like we have now with ottomans that sit in front of the tv cabinet when not in use.

2) Order a sofa thru Villa that will have a foot rest, but the back will not recline. Mike said that he could also make the center fold down for a snack/drinks tray.

3) A full reclining sofa. It will need to be 3 to 4 inches away from the window frame. The slide out floor will need to be extended for support. Plus the seat height will be 5" higher than normal, because they cannot work around our raised slide out floor.

We have to keep the TV cabinet to a minimum because no matter what route we go we're going to need the space. A full reclining sofa will take up almost 68" when fully extended.

We are in the planning stage now. Have made many phone calls discussing options.

I am always getting the same question. "Why not put the TV in the slide out". But I just can't picture the sofa on the curb side. With all the windows on that side it would feel weird with our backs to them. Plus we would lose a lot of space in our dinette.

Brett
Old 04-27-2017, 12:02 PM   #14

So I just got off the phone with Mike at Villa. He's going to do some more measuring on some new units they are making now, to see what's possible for a theater seating for our raised slide outs.

I'll keep you posted. But everything starts with the sofa. Then we'll design the TV cabinet, with any other elements attached to it.

Brett