Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Replacing Carpet in 2004 40' Inspire - 3 slides

Hi, Has anyone replaced the carpet in there Country Coach. I would like to put in engineered hardwood, but I checked with a local RV place and they said that they would have to remove the slides and the price seemed excessive (4-7k).
I could only find one post on here about an Allure by 2dogsbarking and he used vinyl plank. I am concerned about why the RV repair shop said they need to remove the slide. Also there does not seem like there is much room between the plastic strip at the end of the slide and the floor. Is a 1/2" engineered wood going to cause the slide to bind as it slides over it? Has anyone used a regular flooring installer to help with this type of project.

Thanks
Tom
newbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2014, 03:32 PM   #2

some one did this to my Country sports Coach my large slide was made to slide on the carpet and no rollers where installed on the slide if this is the same for you the slide well cut up the wood flooring in just a few in and outs of the slide

this is some thing that must be looked in to

the % is low that the slides need to come out but i am sure there pricing over if they have too take them out in the long run
terry735001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 03:41 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Ernie Ekberg Send a message via Yahoo to Ernie Ekberg
no slides need to be removed. stay with 3/8 engineered and glue it down with urethane adhesive. If you slide touches the new floor, get some pieces of LVT plank and put those under the slide when you bring your slide in
Ernie Ekberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:30 AM   #4

I have been looking at re-carpeting my coach and the figure I have is a thickness of 5/8" so I have been taking a vernier to the carpet shops! I had a standard carpet fitter look at the job, time consuming and tedious. A wooden replacement will need someone whose done it before I suspect.
sallylillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 12:13 PM   #5

I have the same coach and the PO had the bedroom forward carpet replaced with bamboo flooring. Not sure of the thickness, I can take a look when I get home from work as he gave me a couple of extra boxes. I do not think they pulled the slides to do the job, though the front seats definitely came out. They also installed floor heating at the same time. No clue as to how much was spent, but was a major selling point to the wife an I, as carpet+kids+dogs+boondocking=PITA.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
no slides need to be removed. stay with 3/8 engineered and glue it down with urethane adhesive. If you slide touches the new floor, get some pieces of LVT plank and put those under the slide when you bring your slide in

While it is great that others share what they have seen or think. Ernie is "The Wood Flooring Dude"... He knows of what he speaks.

Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 PM   #7

You can give the folks at Oregon Motor Coach a call and find out what they'd charge.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
While it is great that others share what they have seen or think. Ernie is "The Wood Flooring Dude"... He knows of what he speaks.

Smitty
I would love to have Ernie do my floors, but the time and expense to get from California to Texas just does not work for me.
newbe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 05:33 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumper9x9 View Post
You can give the folks at Oregon Motor Coach a call and find out what they'd charge.
I'd like to know what they charge, also
Old 05-11-2014, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Ekberg View Post
I'd like to know what they charge, also
I think I heard about $150.00
Old 05-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoleInOne View Post
I think I heard about $150.00
what segment is that $150? hour, day, minute?
Old 05-12-2014, 06:55 PM   #12

Carpet Replacement

Tom,
I replaced the carpet in my 05 CC Inspire late last year with engineered wood flooring.
It's 1/2" the large slide on the drivers side slightly touched the floor when being retracted.
I got three thin rubber backed throw rugs from Walmart which solved the problem. This was a DIY project that took about 16 hours total installation time not including the moldings.
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpet, slide