Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Replacing floor covering

Hi gang we have a 2003 Allure First Ave. W 2/slides on driver side.
Located in Canton, OH this summer.
Looking to remove the little bit of carpet in the bedroom and in the front of the coach. Replacing it with a lament wood look flooring.
First estimate I got was $13-$15 K Hell at that price I'd be better off trading it.
Has anyone done this themselves? I've laid flooring and I can't see how it would be so expensive.
Please chime in with opinions.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2021, 08:27 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
Looking to remove the little bit of carpet in the bedroom and in the front of the coach. Replacing it with a lament wood look flooring.
First estimate I got was $13-$15 K Hell at that price I'd be better off trading it.
Has anyone done this themselves? I've laid flooring and I can't see how it would be so expensive.
It sounds like a quote from someone who really doesn't want to do it. You are going to pay more per sq ft for an RV than for a house due to all the cutting and fitting but that is a ridiculous price.

Have you considered carpet tiles? We replaced all of our carpet with commercial grade carpet tiles secured with double sided carpet tape. It's easy to keep clean and still feels nice on bare feet. It's an easy DIY job. You also won't have a potential scratching issue with your slides.

Since it comes in 19" - 20" squares, it goes down fast and is easy to cut and fit. It's also easy to replace a square if the carpet is damaged (buy extra).
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:14 PM   #3

Harry,

We too want to change out the carpet - and I found a post on FB that you need to read. She did a great job. Search out Leslie Charmichael in the CC Group. She posted pics and gave all the information on her updating the floor and walls.

It seems we have the same coach as yours! What is your CC number? We should trade contact info so if either of us encounters a problem or do an upgrade, we could share info.

Thanks,
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:42 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Vinyl plank flooring

Actually this is a bit of a sore spot for me. We have a 2002 Holiday Rambler Admiral SE, 36 DBD. We purchased in late 2018 knowing the inside was trashed, but unit was, and is mechanically sound. So: replaced all interior lighting with leds, replaced toilets, sinks, faucets, tires, etc. When it came to the flooring, I used the most expensive waterproof flooring Lowe’s had in stock. We have a 110 pound Old English Sheep dog, (Ralph).
My thinking was to use as little carpet in the living area as possible. So, after a couple of months, I noticed the seams were separated in every row. It seems the vinyl plank, or at least this $3.69/foot version must be installed in “a controlled environment. So, along with it adding about 200 pounds of weight, we have decided this is a poor choice. Further, it is very difficult to keep clean, dog or not, as it is a slightly raised pattern and dirt sticks to it like a magnet.
As for the bedroom carpet, we bought a multi colored rug at Costco that is ideal for our coach. Quality is good with a short to medium nap. I purchased new padding at Lowe’s and installed it myself as well. We have been, and are very pleased with the look.
Another note: I inquired at Lowe’s and HD about purchasing carpet there and paying extra for RV installation. They were all too busy, probably with builders, to even consider it. So I’m going to figure it out myself. BTW, we were quoted $10k to redo the flooring by a Northern Indiana company. Our rig is 19 years old so I’m sure we would have gotten some of that back on resale. Not.
Extarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 12:43 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Harry, it is not that big a job if you have a bit of wood working skills and some tools. I did what you are contemplating in our former 2001 Monaco, only used lock and clic cork. Less than $500 dollars for material and several days, not long ones and was done. We were very happy with the cork, warm, quiet, looked good and easy to clean. Highly recommend. Good luck, Don.
DiplomatDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 03:25 PM   #6
Community Moderator

I did it on our 2000 Intrigue in 2017 with vinyl planks click lock type.
I removed the existing tiles and made the entire flooring the same.
Not that bad but needs patience and a strong heart. Go for it, you will not regret it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2021, 04:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyHarry View Post
That was an absolutely ridiculous quote. I hope you laughed in their faces.

We are planning to do something similar but replacing the carpet in the rear with better carpet and the carpet in the front with engineered wood flooring. We are looking at about $6K from a real craftsman. He does not do vinyl flooring but his son, who is also very good, does. They are located in the Fort Worth area.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
Harry,

It seems we have the same coach as yours! What is your CC number? We should trade contact info so if either of us encounters a problem or do an upgrade, we could share info.

Thanks,
My Chassis number is 30893

Again thanks to all that have given recommendations.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:48 PM   #9
BVL

I replaced the carpet in the bedroom last summer with engineered wood and it took a lot of time to remove all of the old carpet, pad and a lot of staples. Putting down the new was straight forward and it looks great. We had the front done a couple of years ago so everything matches.

We have 30900 a 36’ 2003 First Ave.
BVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 03:51 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVL View Post
I replaced the carpet in the bedroom last summer with engineered wood and it took a lot of time to remove all of the old carpet, pad and a lot of staples. Putting down the new was straight forward and it looks great. We had the front done a couple of years ago so everything matches.

We have 30900 a 36’ 2003 First Ave.
Since we have the same coaches (it seems), did you take any pics of the process? I'd love to better understand how to deal with the slides rollers in the LR and BR when I install the engineered wood.

I PM'd you my email...

Thanks!
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 AM   #11

Quote:
I'd love to better understand how to deal with the slides rollers in the LR and BR when I install the engineered wood.

I PM'd you my email...

Thanks!
I agree the slides are my only concern in doing the floor.
Old 07-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #12
TR4

Quote:
Since we have the same coaches (it seems), did you take any pics of the process? I'd love to better understand how to deal with the slides rollers in the LR and BR when I install the engineered wood.

I PM'd you my email...

Thanks!
John, you don’t have to worry about the slides, there are no rollers that contact the floor.

The cost for installing a floor is mostly labor. A lot of fitting and cutting. Having to make special fittings, nosing, hatch ect. will take time. If you have the time, it’s a fun project.

If you’re looking for someone to install the flooring, I would try to find an independent hardwood flooring contractor.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8BDB1A91-AF13-4595-B515-79B14D415DBD.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	337442   Click image for larger version

Name:	09859C41-AC2D-4E21-B063-4E8D02548042.jpeg
Views:	43
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	337443  

Click image for larger version