Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2020, 02:16 PM   #1

Replacing the Hurricane Furnace with a Quantum 55-XLT

Hello all,

We are getting tired of trying to keep the ITR Hurricane furnace in our Allure running and are considering have Rixen install the Quantum 55-XLT as a replacement. It's kind of spendy to do but we would sure like to get through the winter with a working furnace and water heater. Curious if anyone has had the conversion and what your opinion is of the Quantum furnace after utilizing it for a while. We have checked with ITR and their only replacement is smaller than our current Hurricane, so not a real option.

TIA

William Brown
03 32' Allure
aksafariman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2020, 09:20 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I was having trouble with my Hurricane where it would run for 30 minutes or so and then flame out. Sometimes it would run for longer but would eventually flame out.

I just happened to knock the tail pipe and muffler off on a concrete barrier coming out of Mexico so I had to have a new pipe and muffler installed.

When I stared banging on the old pipe,a ton of rusted metal came out. Anyway, after installing the new parts, it has run flawlessly ever since. I think the exhaust was semi plugged up.

It is also much quieter
Old 07-02-2020, 05:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksafariman View Post
We have checked with ITR and their only replacement is smaller than our current Hurricane, so not a real option.
I'm assuming ITR quoted you their Oasis Zephyr. If so, its diesel burner is the same size and actual BTUs as the one in the Hurricane CO45XL, which is what we had in our '03. What you give up is one 1500 watt electrical element (the Hurricane has two and the Zephyr has one). For how we use our system, giving up one electric element hasn't been a problem. I looked into Rixen's offering, but the high price and my concerns about where I'd get it serviced made that one not a good option for us.
Old 07-03-2020, 08:46 AM   #4

Don,

Thanks for the comments. Yes, ITR quoted the Zephyr, although right now, due to Corona they are not installing their system. They quoted me a price for all/what should be all the parts necessary for an install. Then I would need to find someone to install it. ITR estimated in the neighborhood of $1000 for an install. So not really what I would want. I also worried about who would/could service Rixen's system.

For now, I have decided to take the coach to Rixen and have them go thru my system and correct what may be wrong. If that works great, if not, then I am where I started and will need to have another look. Maybe by then the hastles with Corona will have subsided.

Bill
Old 07-03-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Have not used any makes/models other than Hurricane, no comments about Quantum 55... From my experience, Hurricane is a simple yet excellent hydronic burner. Ever since my fuel lines were replaced about 3 years ago, it has been performing reliably and consistently whenever a call from t-stat is in. You might just need to find an capable tech to take a look. Among many, Tony at Carrier and Sons RV Services in Eugene, OR is good at it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:10 AM   #6

Steve,

Thanks for the info. Carrier has worked on our Hurricane, although that was a couple years ago. We have always gotten good service from Carrier. Would recommend them to anyone looking for reliable maintenance on one of our rigs.
As I mentioned in my last post, we do have an appointment at Rixen's so will trust they take care of the problem.

Have a Happy 4th of July!! Stay safe.

Thanks again,

Bill
Old 07-04-2020, 12:33 PM   #7

Bill,
All of us would be interested in what Rixen's has to say and what they did.
Old 07-05-2020, 05:47 AM   #8

Bill,

I'll be interested in knowing how Rixen does fixing your Hurricane and what the problem was.

Also, Don, when parked and plugged in, how can we switch over and fire up the hurricane to get more hot water? Say we are plugged into 30a and have had it on for say 10-15 mins., the electric elements heat the water, but don't keep up with the demand a shower uses. How can we utilie the BTUs generated by the Hurricane's diesel furnace?

I'll attach a photo of my control panel above the front door.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0350.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	292013  
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
Also, Don, when parked and plugged in, how can we switch over and fire up the hurricane to get more hot water? Say we are plugged into 30a and have had it on for say 10-15 mins., the electric elements heat the water, but don't keep up with the demand a shower uses. How can we utilie the BTUs generated by the Hurricane's diesel furnace?

I'll attach a photo of my control panel above the front door.

Thanks!
I'm not Don, but my coach had the same system as yours, and our control panel is the same. (Don's is a prior year model and I believe has a separate water heater, unlike your Hurricane that handles both water heating and coach heating in the same unit.) On our '03, turning on the lower switch (labeled Water Heater) turned on our electric elements and turning on the top switch (labeled Central Heat Control) made it possible for the diesel burner to light as necessary.
Old 07-07-2020, 04:01 AM   #10

Thanks, Dave.

Quote:
...but my coach had the same system as yours
What did you replace it with? I have been talking with Rixen & ITR about updating.

Thanks,

JG
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:38 PM   #11

On the '02 model years, the Hurricane only heated the coach. I think somewhere in the '03 year, CC went from the coach heat only to heating water also. In some of the early '03 coaches, there was a problem with the circuit boards burning up
Old 07-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #12

Hurricane Heating Water Tank

I don't believe the Hurricane Heater ever could be used to heat Water in Hot Water Tank. The Switch above the door is to turn on the Propane to Water Tank, and the electrical switch by cook top is to turn on electric element. You can use both at same time to heat water. 2004 Country Coach went to Hydro Hot system that heats water and furnace. The Hurricane system is Furnace Only.
lbfrombigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:38 AM   #13
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfrombigd View Post
I don't believe the Hurricane Heater ever could be used to heat Water in Hot Water Tank. The Switch above the door is to turn on the Propane to Water Tank, and the electrical switch by cook top is to turn on electric element. You can use both at same time to heat water. 2004 Country Coach went to Hydro Hot system that heats water and furnace. The Hurricane system is Furnace Only.
On our coach the Hurricane does "warm up" water in water heater tank due to coolant circulation.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbfrombigd View Post
This is incorrect. CC installed the Hurricane CO45XL system in many (if not most or practically all) 2003 coaches, including mine that was manufactured in Sept. 2002, and that system does indeed heat both the coach ("furnace" heat) and hot water. There is no separate hot water tank. The operation of the switches to control the diesel (not propane) burner and electric elements is just as I described above in this thread.

Tags
ace, furnace, hurricane