Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2018, 07:02 PM   #1

Ride Height Control Valve Lever Arm Adjustment

I replaced the Ride Height Control Valves (RHCV) in the back on my 2000 Magna with Haldex 90555105 valves. When I removed them I noticed the Lever Arm length was different from side to side. One side was set at 6 inches and the other set to 5 inches. This is the distance from the RHCV to the rod attached to the rear suspension. Based on a visual inspection of the old RHCVs it looked like the one that was set to 5 inches had been replaced in the past. I assume they should be the same length. I set them both at 6 inches.

Any one know what the correct Lever Arm length is for a 2000 Magna? Or the formula for determining the length?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2018, 07:53 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
It's not the length of the rod you should measure but the actual ride height. In my RV, it's the measurement between the axle and the frame rail. I released one end of the valve rod and pushed and pulled the valve lever until the measurement was correct, then adjusted the rod to hold the valve to that distance.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:19 PM   #3

http://www.irv2.com/forums/attachmen...1&d=1525620618

There are specific measurements for your ride height. I attached the above document for reference. Just remember that when adjusting you need to drive up on blocks or work out of a pit because if you let the air totally out of the bag you could get crushed.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
TR4

I can’t remember the length, but I agree with you in setting the rod to the longer length. I think you’ll use less air to control the ride height and less compressor cycling.

Bill
Old 05-08-2018, 09:56 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
I can’t remember the length, but I agree with you in setting the rod to the longer length. I think you’ll use less air to control the ride height and less compressor cycling.

Bill
The ride height control valve is connected to sense the distance between two points, one on the chassis frame and the other on the axle. As the vehicle goes down the road, the distance is kept the same by adding air or venting air from the air springs. On a long curve, as in an interstate ramp, the valve adds air to the springs on the outside of the curve to reduce lean, same thing on a highly crowned surface, the RHCV will compensate. It's not about conserving air or reducing compressor cycling, the air is constantly being added and vented as you travel down the road.

It's not like an add-on airbag system that uses an electric compressor and tank, the air system of uses a gear driven compressor on the engine, the air is used for braking, suspension, often other air- powered items, like as door gaskets, step covers, even vacuum generators. Adjusting the length of the rod is to set ride height, a critical measurement determined by the chassis manufacturer. If you adjust it out of specification, you risk U-joint wear and transmission tail bearings. Get the proper measurements for ride height from your chassis manufacturer and set them to the proper height.

The length of the rod is secondary, it might be different on each side according to how the lever arm is set on the valve shaft. There is often a screw or bolt that can adjust the lever arm in relation to the valve orientation.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-08-2018, 10:29 AM   #6
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
The ride height control valve is connected to sense the distance between two points, one on the chassis frame and the other on the axle. As the vehicle goes down the road, the distance is kept the same by adding air or venting air from the air springs. On a long curve, as in an interstate ramp, the valve adds air to the springs on the outside of the curve to reduce lean, same thing on a highly crowned surface, the RHCV will compensate. It's not about conserving air or reducing compressor cycling, the air is constantly being added and vented as you travel down the road.

It's not like an add-on airbag system that uses an electric compressor and tank, the air system of uses a gear driven compressor on the engine, the air is used for braking, suspension, often other air- powered items, like as door gaskets, step covers, even vacuum generators. Adjusting the length of the rod is to set ride height, a critical measurement determined by the chassis manufacturer. If you adjust it out of specification, you risk U-joint wear and transmission tail bearings. Get the proper measurements for ride height from your chassis manufacturer and set them to the proper height.

The length of the rod is secondary, it might be different on each side according to how the lever arm is set on the valve shaft. There is often a screw or bolt that can adjust the lever arm in relation to the valve orientation.
I understand how the ride height valve works. The OP’s question wasn’t about ride height as I understood it.

Bill
Old 05-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilvmygt View Post
I replaced the Ride Height Control Valves (RHCV) in the back on my 2000 Magna with Haldex 90555105 valves. When I removed them I noticed the Lever Arm length was different from side to side. One side was set at 6 inches and the other set to 5 inches. This is the distance from the RHCV to the rod attached to the rear suspension. Based on a visual inspection of the old RHCVs it looked like the one that was set to 5 inches had been replaced in the past. I assume they should be the same length. I set them both at 6 inches.

Any one know what the correct Lever Arm length is for a 2000 Magna? Or the formula for determining the length?
this is the exact case as mine. in the past, the left rear corner had been always the last one up, and sometimes flared with red light, as seen on hwh panel. when i went to check the valve i noticed the arm length difference. i adjusted them in the same length. ever since, it has been acting just like others .
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 11:36 AM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I understand how the ride height valve works. The OP’s question wasn’t about ride height as I understood it.

Bill
The comment about using less air and less compressor cycling didn't make a lot of sense in a vehicle that uses air for many purposes.

The OP seemed more concerned about equal lever length and didn't even mention ride height, which is the purpose of the valve, lever, and connecting rod. The fact that a second CC owner having the same observation of unequal lever length makes me wonder if it was done on purpose? Perhaps the unequal length of air lines is compensated by the lever length? I think CC or the chassis builder should be consulted.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #9
TR4

Quote:
The comment about using less air and less compressor cycling didn't make a lot of sense in a vehicle that uses air for many purposes.
The air suspension uses the most air by far. The shorter the pivot bar, the more air used by the ride height valve to control the bag.

Your system might be different from mine.

Bill
Old 05-08-2018, 04:02 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
The air suspension uses the most air by far. The shorter the pivot bar, the more air used by the ride height valve to control the bag.

Your system might be different from mine.

Bill
A shorter lever arm would just mean the valve opens less in each movement. It would cause the air to flow slower, but the volume would have to be the same, just longer to fill and dump.

Bob & Donna
Old 05-08-2018, 07:44 PM   #11
TR4

Quote:
A shorter lever arm would just mean the valve opens less in each movement. It would cause the air to flow slower, but the volume would have to be the same, just longer to fill and dump.
As I said, your system might be different from mine. The OP has a Country Coach that is a couple of years older than mine, so I believe I know the question he asked, maybe not. When I purchased the ride height valve from a heavy duty truck parts shop, I asked about setting them up.

Thank you for your input and hopefully the OP has this resolved.

Bill
Old 05-09-2018, 10:12 AM   #12

I am trying to determine the correct geometry of the Ride height Control Valve.

There are 2 adjustments to setting the Ride Height. One is the actual ride height, in my case that measurement is 8 3/8 measured from the frame to the bottom of the air bag. The second is the geometry of the Ride Height Control Valve (RHCV) lever arm in relation to the ride height adjustment rod. The RHCV has a 45 degree up and down range from center. If the lever arm is short the RHCV will respond faster, but if the lever arm is too short it could over range the valve past the 45 degree range when the air bags (springs) are deflated. If the lever arm is long the RHCV will respond slower.

Before changing the RHCVs the side with the short lever arm (drivers side) was always more touchy then the side with the longer lever arm. Some times I would need exercise the it using the air leveling before it would track correctly. Since changing the HRCVs and setting the short level arm to the longer length it has worked perfectly.

Although the RHCVs are now working good I would like to know the correct the length of the level arm, so I can set both of them to the correct length.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:08 AM   #13

I have done several of these, leaving about 3/8 of the lever arm sticking out on the other side of the valve.
With the valves being new they should be equal on both sides. But, as they age you may start noticing a little more lean turning one direction over the other. Then you can adjust to compensate. Not only will it give you better handling but if you have too much lean, it puts stress on your front sway bar. Leading to broken end links, or mounting brackets.
Always make sure your coach is level in the front, the rear will always differ from side to side. The front can only be off by 1/16.
Brett
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bneukam View Post
I have done several of these, leaving about 3/8 of the lever arm sticking out on the other side of the valve.
With the valves being new they should be equal on both sides. But, as they age you may start noticing a little more lean turning one direction over the other. Then you can adjust to compensate. Not only will it give you better handling but if you have too much lean, it puts stress on your front sway bar. Leading to broken end links, or mounting brackets.
Always make sure your coach is level in the front, the rear will always differ from side to side. The front can only be off by 1/16.
Brett

Should have been more clear.
3/8 of an inch sticking out on the other side. Not 3/8 of the lever rod.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
valve