Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-21-2019, 10:09 AM   #1

Roof repaint

There have been other excellent posts on repainting a CC fiberglass roof, so I'll just try to add our insights to those already posted. The best thread we read was this one when doing our roof.

Our '00 Magna's roof was in rough shape cosmetically - with a lot of deteriorated gel coat leaving a chalky mess & small black spots. No cracks or damage to the integrity of the fiberglass, luckily. Our lap seals needed redoing, too, and we took the opportunity to install new MaxxAir Deluxe fans in the galley & toilet room while the sealant was off. Those fans are a HUGE improvement over the originals from CC, that's for sure!! Anyway, hubby (James) removed and replaced all sealant on everything on the roof with Dicor self leveling lap sealant. He also removed the old TV antenna & blocked off the hole, then added a plate that he Dicor'ed down (& a solar panel ended up in that spot, valuable real estate!). He attached the solar panel mounts with VHB and then Eternabond to the bare fiberglass, before painting.

We decided to use Interlux Brightside marine deck or "topside" paint in bright white. This paint is a cult favorite of Safari owners (also a fiberglass roof). We got 3 quarts but wished we'd gotten 4. We ended up ordering a 4th to recoat a spot and for the eventual painting of the solar wires. We did not opt for a primer, based on my research. YMMV. We cleaned, and cleaned, and cleaned again with Simple Green. It took a lot of time & effort to get all of the chalk & black spots removed and down to the bare fiberglass, but they say surface prep is everything when it comes to painting, right?!

We did two coats of the Brightside, with 24+ hours to dry in between. The one mistake we made was painting a bit too late in the day. It was October in NorCal, so low 80's during the day and 50's at night. One area that was at the rear of the coach, so last to get painted, dried with a haze and not a gloss like the rest. I emailed Interlux & they promptly replied, having looked at my photo, to tell me we must have painted too late in the day and dew settled on the hazy areas, and to repaint that area. I told them nothing about when we painted, so the response was spot on. We did repaint just that section (much earlier in the day) and it looks glossy & awesome like the rest. Like I mentioned, James also decided to paint the wire runs for the solar with the Brightside, just cuz we had some left and why not, for some UV protection (which is one of marine topside paint's benefits). We also painted some but not all of the Dicor sealant, for more aforementioned UV protection.

We got absolutely blasted by windy rainstorms in Moab the last two nights & so far, so good - the roof & new seals all seem watertight (not our slide, so much...we learned the hard way to bring that in if a windy rainstorm is expected).

Time will tell, but folks say they get a good 5 years out of 2 coats of Brightside. To us that was a much better proposition and not much more work than an annual coat of wax. Luckily it seemed our roof had never been waxed so we didn't have a bear of a time trying to remove that to prep the surface. Again, and as always, YMMV but this here's an account of our mileage. Thanks for reading! Ask any questions!

Before & after photos, may need to zoom in:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roof before.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	312.2 KB
ID:	267533   Click image for larger version

Name:	roof after.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	267534  

2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Nice job. I am thinking about painting our roof next summer. Only thing is it has colour coming up the side to the top flat surface.

I will paint that last, just to avoid the overlap.

I plan to use an epoxy paint that requires hardener and activator. It lasts for many years, and is extremely durable. We used it on the Peterbilt trucks and they spent all the time in the elements, yet would polish up like new even after 15 years or more.

Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:02 AM   #3

I plan on painting my roof this winter too. One of my concerns because I live in Arizona and store outdoors, is the ability to handle extreme heat and sun in the Arizona summer. Does anybody have any input as to how well their roof painting survives harsh Arizona conditions?
Old 11-22-2019, 10:16 AM   #4

When painting the roof it would be a good idea to paint the air conditioner shrouds as well the plastic will last a lot longer if in the sun a lot.
Old 11-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #5

Great idea about painting the shrouds. Thanks. I did not think of that.
Old 11-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #6

I'd have said great minds think a like, but my DW might read this thread, and here laughing at comments like that gets a bit old... But we BusKote covered our AC's shrouds at the first application, and just again on the recent re-coat.

I believe since the Interlux Marine Deck Coating is made for boats out on the hard waters and in some areas hot suns - it should hold up well. I met one owner who used Marine Fiberglass Deck coating for his roof, and used the one that had a bit of grit (Or whatever they put in it.) to give some grip on the deck for walking in wet conditions. In hindsight, he wish he'd not use the deck coating with he extra grit, as light dust an dirt required more effort to clean off. Up on the roof with a broom, vs say just standing on a tall ladder and hitting it with a good jet of water!

I understood his thinking, added safety when on a wet roof... But also could see how that could add to maintenance effort when cleaning.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 10:28 AM   #7

Smitty, I read something similar about adding grit & not doing it again, in hindsight. We didn't add anything & the surface is not slick when wet at all. I real world tested it when I was up on the roof at 2:49am during a pouring rain storm a few days ago...checking the top of the slide to see why it was leaking, & I was wearing Adidas soccer sandals. I had no problem with traction whatsoever. And yes, we now know to leave the slide in when it rains (& blows)
2000 Country Coach Magna 36' #5752
past: '98 Safari Trek 2480, '91 Fleetwood Flair 22
srogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, roof