Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-12-2021, 08:13 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Rounded Gen Set Oil Drain Plug

So frustrating.

Used 3/8" socket to loosen the oil drain plug in our Onan gen set and it rounded over the 6 sided recessed plug.

Tried 10mm & 9mm and one was too big, the other too small. Seems 3/8" was right.

Can't get Vice Grips into the recess, so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

If and when I get it out, I need to get a new one. Where?

Thanks for any help...
2003 CC Allure 36 First Ave. #30914
Mills River, NC
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-12-2021, 08:59 AM   #2

John,

Do a google search for extractor sockets. Then do a google search for replacement oil plug for your model generator. An automotive place, or a place that services small engines like lawn mowers, might be able to match it too.

Good luck
astrnmrtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:28 AM   #3
Community Moderator

That's hard in a tight space. But you can work around like what I do although my drain plug is fine - always carry a Mityvac on my coach, one of the applications is to make oil change effortless for toad and genset. Get a 1.9 gal Mityvac https://www.tooldiscounter.com/produ...xoCslQQAvD_BwE or similar, and forget about the plug.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:39 AM   #4

Yup--this happens way too often...think the plug is brass and the oil pan is aluminum--dis-similar metals??? Pretty tight space so extractor may not fit--other option to drill and use back-out extractor but again brass is pretty soft....be careful not to drill thru plug or get off center and mess up the pan threads....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2021, 05:05 AM   #5

Bolt extractor worked great! Got the plug out, found a new plug and I'm ready to finally finish the oil change...

Thanks for your help!
2003 CC Allure 36 First Ave. #30914
Mills River, NC
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 11:55 AM   #6

Glad to see you got it done. On my 2000 Magna with 8K Onan I loosened the mounting bolts and jacked up the generator up off the coach slide assembly. Then I grabbed the plug with a vise grip and removed it and welded a nut onto the plug. - problem solved - I have nut/bolt extractors but not that small.

I think the problem is Onan used a square head pipe plug and we all use twelve point sockets which tend to not hold very well on the square head. What was uncle Onan thinking when he made that design decision?
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 03:01 PM   #7

Simple fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
So frustrating.

Used 3/8" socket to loosen the oil drain plug in our Onan gen set and it rounded over the 6 sided recessed plug.

Tried 10mm & 9mm and one was too big, the other too small. Seems 3/8" was right.

Can't get Vice Grips into the recess, so I'm at a loss as to how to proceed.

If and when I get it out, I need to get a new one. Where?

Thanks for any help...
Take the removed drain plug and go to a hardware store and have them identify the threads on the plug.
Then ask for a new plug with an Alans Head opening for it, maybe even a square recessed ratchet opening.

Last thing you can do is take it to a welders shop and have them weld a larger nut on it so it can be taken on and reinstalled with a standard wrench.
Cya
DocHaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2021, 07:38 PM   #8

One additional tip. Before attempting to loosen the plug, use a hammer to impact directly on the bolt. This can often break loose the threads that have frozen together, and will lessen the required torque for loosening.
DrMarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 06:56 AM   #9

A picture would be worth a 1000 words for the next guy/gal who encounters this problem. In this case, a picture of the rounded off plug as well as a picture showing it installed.

If you have a part number for the replacement, be great to list that here.

(I never remember to take pictures while I am still underneath the rig, plus hands are filthy, phone is over their on the shelf, etc.)
Old 06-23-2021, 07:21 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
This happened to me. Did my research and discovered it happens all the time. It also made me suspect about if the last guy I hired really changed the oil. So now I do it myself with an oil extraction pump. Only thing is I know I'm not getting the last half quart of oil, so I just change it more often.
Old 06-23-2021, 10:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredward View Post
Glad to see you got it done. On my 2000 Magna with 8K Onan I loosened the mounting bolts and jacked up the generator up off the coach slide assembly. Then I grabbed the plug with a vise grip and removed it and welded a nut onto the plug. - problem solved - I have nut/bolt extractors but not that small.

I think the problem is Onan used a square head pipe plug and we all use twelve point sockets which tend to not hold very well on the square head. What was uncle Onan thinking when he made that design decision?
Fred
Fred I use about an 8-in socket extension in reverse. I put a big adjustable wrench on the end where the socket would go. Works perfectly.
Old 06-24-2021, 11:44 AM   #12

Never would have thought of that Rich! There's more than one way to solve the problem.
Fred
2000 CC Magna #5734
C-10 Cat Allison 4060
MN
Fredward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:38 PM   #13

They make a 4 point sockets for square head bolts.
DirtyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote