Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Safe not opening

I have a 1997 Country Coach Affinity with a safe under the bed in the bedroom that will not open. I put in the right combination, but it still will not open. This safe has not been opened for many years and could be part of the problem. Does many body know how to open this safe or know what it would take to open it?

Thank you all for you input into this matter.

Tim and Linda Neal
1997 CC Affinity
7551 Whitney Drive
Huntington Beach, Ca. 92647
timneal49@yahoo.com
timneal49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does it have a battery that needs replacing. If it's a push button type, then perhaps that's your problem.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:14 PM   #3

No batteries in this safe. It's all manual hand dial type.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:20 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneal49 View Post
No batteries in this safe. It's all manual hand dial type.

Sorry. Thought that might have been your problem. Maybe a locksmith could help?
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3911, 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan - Braun Accessibility Modified Toad, Remco Lube Pump, 5 Star Tune, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, Coach Net Emergency Road Service, FMCA 378968
Jim T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Is it your coach!!!
luckyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #6

Yes, it's my coach and I'm not trying to rob myself!!! Thanks for asking though.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:47 PM   #7

We bought an Arctic Fox 5th wheel that had an electronic/mechanical Brinks safe bolted to the deck under the bed. I never got the key from the original owner, but did get the push button combo. I tested it numerous times to make sure it worked and made sure batteries were fresh. Well, batteries bounced out somewhere along the way on a cross country trip. We were at Niagara Falls and wanted to cross over into Canada, so the morning we planned to do that, discovered that the safe, which contained our passports and dog vaccination papers, etc, wouldn't open. I called several locksmiths but all were too busy and wanted over $100 USD to come and open it. One suggested using a large screwdriver to pry it open. We needed the documents so I got ready to do battle with the "safe". Took about 15 seconds to pop it open, one well placed pry on the lid!! Needless to say, the "safe" got unbolted and tossed. I have since found a non-intuitive good hiding place to keep important papers. If somebody wants what's in your safe, they will get it. The safe is only a flag that there's something very valuable in there and thieves will pry the thing loose or pry it open or steal the whole RV if they think it's worth it.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Country Coach Owners Club
Went through same thing recently. Bought a Country Coach Magna. Original owner no longer with us. Fortunately the original build sheet paperwork was saved in the mountains of literature inside a plastic tub in the closet. Found the Safe/Vault Serial Number on the original build sheet, called the manufacturer and they were able to provide an override code to open. Unfortunately the safe wasn't filled with money or jewels.
Snocat4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:27 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
With yours being a manual hand dial combo safe, whit I'd try if it's mounted flat with the dial on the top is spray PB Blaster under the dial for several days, and hopefully it'll run down the stem of the dial and break free and lubricate the gears and arms of the release mechanisms.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:40 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
you need to spin the dial many time before you start to clear it and must stop on
numbers before going on to next if you go to fast it will not open
go slow good luck
Old 01-11-2017, 07:11 PM   #11

Had a safe / locksmith look at my safe and he couldn't open the safe so he went on the internet to see where to drill the safe to open it without hurting the locking system of the safe. He says after he opens the safe that he will clean all the gears an get it back in shape and then plug the hole that he drilled. I'll get back to you all how it all turned out. Thank you again for all o your inputs.

Tim and Linda Neal
1997 CC Affinity
7551 Whitney Drive
Huntington Beach, ca. 92647
timneal49@yahoo.com
Old 01-12-2017, 10:25 AM   #12

My safe under the bed is a Meiline safe to open.

Start at 0 I will make up some #s

Left four times to 10
Right three times to 20
Left two times to 30
Right to 40

Hope it helps. I have no luck opening it my wife opens it.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:00 PM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
On my safe, I have to be meticulous in stopping at the right number and at the correct marker next to the dial. (Ours has two markers, one phony and one real).

Then I have to force the safe lid towards the head of the bed before lift on the handle.

Just did it for the first time in 3 years, and it took me about 10 minutes to make it work in spite of prior successful openings.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 06:27 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
My safe under the bed is a Meiline safe to open.

Start at 0 I will make up some #s

Left four times to 10
Right three times to 20
Left two times to 30
Right to 40

Hope it helps. I have no luck opening it my wife opens it.

Ok I opened it myself last night. I was screwing up my first time around counting the 0 four times then to 10.

When starting at 0 I needed to count the 10 four times. The first 10 comes comes real quick when turning to the left
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote