Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2020, 12:43 PM   #1

Safe-T-Plus issue

So after a year or so trying to decide about installing a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer for multiple reasons I finally took to leap. Went to install said steering stabilizer the other day and found out the rear airbag mounting bolts the mounting bracket attaches to are too short to add the bracket and the nut still cover the treads. After talking to the folks at Safe-T-Plus and Henderson Lineup it appears that someone added a block spacer on top of the axle to adjust the caster which left the bolts just long enough to cover the threads.

My only option is to remove the left front airbag and install longer bolts so the mounting bracket can be installed. So moral of the story is if anyone is thinking about installing a Safe-T-Steer unit on my vintage CC check the bolts to make sure they will be long enough. Yes I could return it but they will charge me 20% restocking fee plus the shipping so I plan on waiting until I replace the front airbags and install longer bolts at that time.

Click image for larger version

Name:	air bag bolts.JPG
Views:	53
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	279421
1999 CC Allure 36 DTSG #30317
USAF Retired
dhetrick2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2020, 02:24 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
I guess my question would be why was the spacer added?
jwlce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 10:45 PM   #3
Community Moderator

Hmmm... That spacer wasn't a DIY job, there must be a reason...
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 09:15 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
Hmmm... That spacer wasn't a DIY job, there must be a reason...
Yes I talked to a tech at Henderson Lineup and he suggested that the spacer block was put in to adjust the camber.
USAF Retired
Old 03-28-2020, 10:33 AM   #5

I'd suggest making contact with Kaiser Brake & Alignment in Eugene. Send them your coaches info and the picture. IMO, they're a very knowledgeable shop all-up. But when it comes to CC's, suspect they have the highest experience. For example, our 04 Allure 40' 31017 coach, had some added beefy components on the front end, and were not referenced anywhere in the documentation on the chassis that came with the coach. I talked with them for less then 3 minutes, put on hold for short bit. They said to check our coaches vehicle ID for recalls, as they said some CC's of that era had been recalled by CC to add additional front bracing. Yep, ours was on that recall list, and as I crawled up and around it, I could identify that these were the added bracings from the recall.

Just one example, where the years of CC knowledge answered a question!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:10 AM   #6

I agree with Smitty, contact Kaiser. they replaced my air bags and shocks and added the Safe-t-Plus to my 1997 Intrigue. They did a great job for us. Found and fixed some other issues I was not aware of for us as well. Very professional folks.

Bruce
Serial #10378
Metalbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 09:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
I'd suggest making contact with Kaiser Brake & Alignment in Eugene. Send them your coaches info and the picture. IMO, they're a very knowledgeable shop all-up. But when it comes to CC's, suspect they have the highest experience. For example, our 04 Allure 40' 31017 coach, had some added beefy components on the front end, and were not referenced anywhere in the documentation on the chassis that came with the coach. I talked with them for less then 3 minutes, put on hold for short bit. They said to check our coaches vehicle ID for recalls, as they said some CC's of that era had been recalled by CC to add additional front bracing. Yep, ours was on that recall list, and as I crawled up and around it, I could identify that these were the added bracings from the recall.

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Thanks I'll give them a shout, although at this point my only option will be replacing the bolts with longer ones. Kaiser would be a little far for me in Arizona, I might have to go down and see Eric.
USAF Retired
Old 03-30-2020, 10:12 AM   #8

Massey in Goodyear and Spectrac? in Tempe
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 08:24 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalbendr View Post
I agree with Smitty, contact Kaiser. they replaced my air bags and shocks and added the Safe-t-Plus to my 1997 Intrigue. They did a great job for us. Found and fixed some other issues I was not aware of for us as well. Very professional folks.

Bruce
I talked to Cary yesterday and he thinks he remembers your coach and how nice it drove after they worked on it. Do you happen to have the part numbers for the front airbags? Were you happy with the Steering stabilizer?
USAF Retired
Old 04-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
I spoke with Cary at Kaiser yesterday and he said CC added the blocks between the axle and frame to improve tire clearance for the larger tires.
USAF Retired
Old 04-01-2020, 02:18 PM   #11

Dave, The front airbag number listed on my invoice is W01-358-9448. I really have not had a chance to drive the coach since it was with Kaiser as it has been at Premier getting some other work done on it. I really believe the Safe-T-Plus makes a difference. I will give you an update once I make the 6 hour drive back from Oregon with it.
Serial #10378
Old 04-01-2020, 04:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Dave, The front airbag number listed on my invoice is W01-358-9448. I really have not had a chance to drive the coach since it was with Kaiser as it has been at Premier getting some other work done on it. I really believe the Safe-T-Plus makes a difference. I will give you an update once I make the 6 hour drive back from Oregon with it.
Sounds Great Thank you!
USAF Retired
Old 07-26-2020, 11:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Hi Bruce, I kinda forgot about our conversation, so what do you think about the Safe-T-plus after driving? I'm getting ready to replace the front airbags and longer bolts for mine.
USAF Retired
Old 07-26-2020, 10:20 PM   #14

After a few trips now I really like the Safe-T-Plus. Kaiser did a great job on the suspension. Coach is a pleasure to drive.