Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2015, 10:15 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Safe T Steer

I have a 2008 Country Coach 42' Intrigue and wondering if there is a aftermarket stering stabilizing system like" Safe T Steer" that is available for my coach?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2015, 07:50 AM   #2

Why?

That coach should drive like a limo unless something is wrong.

Check to confirm all good before applying a patch.

If just concerned for a blowout then fine....

Others may have answer there.
Old 08-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
I had a Safe T Steer on my previous coach on a solid front axle Freightliner chassis. It improved tracking.

My tag axle IFS Allure drives so well no help is needed. However, to have the added protection in case of a steer tire blow out, I did call Safe T Steer to inquire if they made a unit for my coach. Their answer was no, nothing for the IFS on our rigs.

So begs the question..... do IFS-equipped coaches handle 'better' than solid axle rigs in the event of a steer tire failure at speed?
Old 08-21-2015, 03:23 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to tnteacherguy
I just happened to be trolling here.
Double check their website.

I googled saf t steer ifs

They now have a product for us. I would love to hear from someone who has tried it before I add it to my FL chassis.
Old 08-21-2015, 05:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnteacherguy View Post
I just happened to be trolling here.
Double check their website.

I googled saf t steer ifs

They now have a product for us. I would love to hear from someone who has tried it before I add it to my FL chassis.
I mis spelled the unit to which I referred, it is Safe T Plus not Safe T Steer. I checked the Safe T Plus website again and they show N/A for the Allure with Newly IFS. They do show some units for some models of Intrigue and Affinity.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:03 AM   #6

Safe T Steer

My coach handles really well and the independent front suspension is quite amazing but my concerns regarding a possible front and blowout is why I was asking about a steering system for the coach. I've done some checking and at this point it seems as though there's nothing manufactured for a coach with a IFS. Anyone have any ideas that would be great.

Ben
2008 CC 42' Intrigue
# 12247
Old 08-22-2015, 07:34 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben K. View Post
My coach handles really well and the independent front suspension is quite amazing but my concerns regarding a possible front and blowout is why I was asking about a steering system for the coach. I've done some checking and at this point it seems as though there's nothing manufactured for a coach with a IFS. Anyone have any ideas that would be great.

Ben
2008 CC 42' Intrigue
# 12247
Ben, I share your concerns. If you check the Steer Safe website (different from the Safe T Plus), they do have a note that they can fit some of the Country Coaches. I plan to give them a call.

http://www.steersafe.com/

I did install one of their centering devices on a gas motorhome with the P32 chassis with IFS. It improved the tracking/handling significantly on that chassis. However, that was a totally different animal from what we have now. I referred to it as a bread truck with a toiled and color TV
Old 08-22-2015, 10:34 PM   #8

My 2006 CC Inspire 360 40' wanders all over the road. I do not dare take my eyes off the road for a second. I just put new tires on the front, did not help. I only have 35,000 on it and am considering Roadking shocks, but the $400 per shock is a shock!!
Does anyone have experience with Roadking where is really helped??
Fasteddie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:43 PM   #9

If it wanders the castor may not be correct.

Alignment should be checked.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Another thing that will make a coach wander is too much air in the steer tires. Adjust tire pressure to your actual front axle weight (refer to load/inflation table for your tires) and see if that helps.

Check for proper ride height. My coach had a very subtle tendency to wander at times. Had the ride height checked and found one rear corner 3/4" too low and the opposite front corner 3/4" too high. Adjusted and coach handles like it is on rails.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:28 PM   #11

Wandering

Fasteddie44
I have a 2005 Inspire that used to wander like you are describing.
First set your tire pressure correctly based on your coaches corner weights and tire manufacturers weight/pressure recommendations. Second make sure your ride height front and rear is set to CC specifications. Third get an alignment from a good HD truck shop. Have the camber set to the high end of the spec and have the toe in set to 3/8 to7/16". This is greater than the spec calls for but necessary. Next replace the original anti sway bar end link bushings with larger polyurethane bushings. These are available from Energy Suspension.
I think the Road King shocks will have to much dampening for your coach. I suggest you put on the Koni sp3 shocks on set to about 3/4 stiffness. Your original rear shocks should be ok but set them to maximum stiffness. The red Koni shocks are adjustable.
I also recommend you install Motion Control Units on each of your air bags. These are a Henderson Line Up product that will make a big improvement in body sway.
If you do all of the above you will have a beautiful handling coach.
Good Luck,
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264.
ronandsue74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 09:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronandsue74 View Post
Fasteddie44
I have a 2005 Inspire that used to wander like you are describing.
First set your tire pressure correctly based on your coaches corner weights and tire manufacturers weight/pressure recommendations. Second make sure your ride height front and rear is set to CC specifications. Third get an alignment from a good HD truck shop. Have the camber set to the high end of the spec and have the toe in set to 3/8 to7/16". This is greater than the spec calls for but necessary. Next replace the original anti sway bar end link bushings with larger polyurethane bushings. These are available from Energy Suspension.
I think the Road King shocks will have to much dampening for your coach. I suggest you put on the Koni sp3 shocks on set to about 3/4 stiffness. Your original rear shocks should be ok but set them to maximum stiffness. The red Koni shocks are adjustable.
I also recommend you install Motion Control Units on each of your air bags. These are a Henderson Line Up product that will make a big improvement in body sway.
If you do all of the above you will have a beautiful handling coach.
Good Luck,
RJ
2005 Inspire #51264.

Though I do not have an Inspire, I do think this is solid advice.

I'll toss in a different suggestion over the Motion Control Units. (Which I have on my coach, and I feel it has contributed well to the handling.) That being said, I will be stopping in October or November at Source Engineering, and having there check valves added in place of the Motion Control Units. They're a better unit, and should provide better air flow control to the bags. (And, if I can not tell the difference after doing this, I'll update accordingly, as they are a bit more expensive.)

Suspect the basics of proper PSI based upon weight, ride height, all axle alignment and front end alignment - will be a big improvement. You probably have Koni SP2(?) on your coach, and they should be up to handling things. But the SP3's are not that expensive, and would be a better shock for the years ahead.

Best of luck to you on your ride tuning!
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #13

This months MotorHome magazine ad.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 08:41 PM   #14

Ben K. Once in a while I think about a front tire blowout going down a 6% grade and a decreasing radius curve and 1,000 drop off. I just repeat to myself what the Michelin blowout video says, DO NOT SLAM ON THE BRAKES. Then I don't think about it any more. I just make sure the inflation on my tires is within spec and I don't let them get too old. I also visual check them frequently. I have never had a blowout in many many many thousands of miles of motorhome driving.

Fasteddie - My previous coach went down a straight road like a rambling bear. I spent countless hours and dollars trying to get it right. Finally gave up after replacing most of the front suspension and it still was hard to keep straight. So going straight was criteria number one when I looked for a new coach. My Affinity went straight like an arrow down the road when I test drove it and has done so ever since. I suspect the tow in is a bit high because of the way the tires wear. But I am not changing a thing for fear of screwing it up. If you were to replace the coach just make sure the next one drives right, before you buy it.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote