Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2016, 05:30 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
School Bus Pump?

Saw a thread on the Yahoo CC group about another school bus pump failure that cause loss of engine coolant and left owner stranded.

I've not seen anything that looks like a coolant booster pump in the engine compartment but I may have missed it. Does every CC have one? Can any of you fellow Allure owners (especially 07) advise where I might find the culprit?

I'd rather bypass it now than have it fail and leave me sitting on the roadside. We've not generally traveled in really cold weather but the Aqua Hot would certainly keep us warm in any case.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #2

Not sure if your coach has one, but on my 02 Intrigue its located in the rear driver side, and its mounted on the inside frame.

Mine went out on the drive home right after I purchased the coach. I could easily see the coolant leaking from my rear view camera, and spraying effect from the drivers side mirror. I pulled over and it continued to leak about another quart before it stopped. I lost about 2 gallons of coolant. A local shop came out and made a brass fitting to go in its place. I didn't replace the pump right away, and I could notice a big drop in heat from the dash.

My advice is if you drive in temps below 40 degrees you would miss not having it. I now always carry that brass fitting with me as it is a very easy task to remove the pump and slide the brass fitting back into its place.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
TR4

My pump is also on the drivers side next to the transmission. I get plenty of heat up front with the power disconnected from it (pump is still there just not powered). When I purchased the coach I replaced the heater hoses, flushed the cooling system and added new antifreeze. I also added four gate valves so I could shut down the dash heating and hydronic heating systems in case of failure.
The power that used to go to the water pump is now used to power my Fass fuel pump.

Bill
Old 06-13-2016, 02:08 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Don't know exactly where mine is but the chassis diagrams show it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 07:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TR4 View Post
My pump is also on the drivers side next to the transmission. I get plenty of heat up front with the power disconnected from it (pump is still there just not powered). When I purchased the coach I replaced the heater hoses, flushed the cooling system and added new antifreeze. I also added four gate valves so I could shut down the dash heating and hydronic heating systems in case of failure.
The power that used to go to the water pump is now used to power my Fass fuel pump.

Bill
I just can't imagine how much work it would be to replace all the heater hoses on this beast . Unlike my previous coach where the frame rails (and everything that run along them) were exposed under the coach, the rails on this CC are completely covered by the ceilings in the storage compartments. I realize those ceilings can be removed for access, but it has still got to be a time consuming and difficult job. I suspect by the time mine need replacing, I will be too old to do it and will be paying someone a bunch of money to do it.
Old 06-13-2016, 08:32 PM   #6

On an 08 magna its between the frame rails right above the driveline. The location sounds worse then it is. The shaft seal went out in mine and I replaced.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:20 PM   #7

" I suspect by the time mine need replacing, I will be too old to do it and will be paying someone a bunch of money to do it."

I know how you feel. No way could I change all my hoses
Old 06-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
I just can't imagine how much work it would be to replace all the heater hoses on this beast . Unlike my previous coach where the frame rails (and everything that run along them) were exposed under the coach, the rails on this CC are completely covered by the ceilings in the storage compartments. I realize those ceilings can be removed for access, but it has still got to be a time consuming and difficult job. I suspect by the time mine need replacing, I will be too old to do it and will be paying someone a bunch of money to do it.
Yep, ours is the same, all covered and screwed in, not easily removable! Helped a friend with his Monaco and it was the same way. Working over my head while lying on the bottom of the bay is hard on me due to neck surgery I had.
Old 06-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
On an 08 magna its between the frame rails right above the driveline. The location sounds worse then it is. The shaft seal went out in mine and I replaced.
I was under ours and it looks to me like the input seal on the drive axle is leaking. Not dripping yet but there is oil seepage.
Old 06-15-2016, 03:20 PM   #10

My dash heat pump just failed on my 06 Magna, 58K miles, leaking seal. It is easy to remove the BR cover and access and bypass the pump, and pull the fuse to the pump (Iginition fuse box). It's all 3/4" heater hose, you can easily get the parts at any auto parts store. I recommend doing it, as it is not a matter of "if" it will fail, but "when" it will fail. And it is a bad failure, broken down on side of road with low coolant, engine shuts down. I am afraid the same "weak link" exists for the Hydro Hot engine preheat pump. I think plumbing in some gate valves there to bypass it in the event of failure would be a good idea too. The problem with the dash heat pump is it runs all of the time (when ignition on) and is located very close to the turbo. So the Hydro Hot engine preheat pump doesn't have these issues, may last much longer.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:41 PM   #11

I disconnected the fuses for my school bus pumps some years ago. They will still fail and start leaking as I learned the hard way in the middle of nowhere in Idaho last year. I had it bypassed by a skinny guy who crawled on top of the engine since in my coach the engine access cover requires disassembling half the bedroom. I plan to remove the forward pump as well before it starts leaking. At least on my C12 powered 2002 Magna coach, these pumps are entirely unnecessary. I get lots of heat on the dash without them.
birdhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:07 PM   #12

The rear bus pump on my 2000 Magna failed and cost me 15 gallons of antifreeze before I could get to Altofer CAT in Peoria, IL. I had them bypass the pump and continued on my way. The rear pump is above the transmission and easily reached by raising the bed.

I have two pumps on my coach I need at least one of the pumps to get heat up front as I found out when I pulled the fuse and needed the defroster which didn't work. Also, my heated mirrors are connected to the same fuse and I had my mirrors fog.

I have put a switch on the bus pumps so I can turn them off when not needed. This may not prevent a pump failure but I hope it helps.

BTW. Altofer did great work for me and did the work to bypass the pumps at 9 pm so I could roll first thing in the morning.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 12:12 PM   #13

I must be one of the lucky ones. I had changed the oil and filters and when i pulled it out of the shop i noticed the coolant leak on the floor. Yep the bus pump seal had gone south. Put in a by-pass pipe and ordered a new pump. I believe that was back in '10. Just saw the new pump again in the cabinet this morning as we are getting ready to head to cooler country. As others posted just really don't need this pump.
'99 Allure 36' #30307
Enjoying it while we can. 200,000+ and counting!
Burfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #14

Without the pump, on a cold day, (say 30 F) how long does it take for the dash heat to start blowing hot air, and defroster working? Does it affect the mirrors?