Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2020, 12:00 PM   #29

Country Coach Owners Club
So.....anyway of knowing what is running in the roof? Wire wise I mean?
Can't seem to find a diagram for the roof wire/duct runs.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2020, 12:45 PM   #30

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hard to say for sure where things are in the roof space. Even if you have a diagram. How things are designed and how they are built may vary without warning.

Duct work is almost always in straight runs from the AC units to each vent. Not likely to have plumbing in the ceiling. So you 12 and 120v power plus some other signal cables. Some stud finders can locate 120v wires in most walls. May not do much for low voltage wires.

When I have to drill a roof hole, I study the layout of lights, switches, etc. Cables are typically run in cable bundles or harnesses. Where wires are run varies by manufacture. Some place most of the run near the floor along the wall with branches going up to switches and lights. Others may have larger harnesses in the ceiling. Probably depends highly on roof construction. If foam insulation is bonded to roofing and ceiling materials then probably very few wires in the ceiling. If the roof is an open truss design with fiberglass batting insulation then it is easy to run wire harnesses in the ceiling. Some manufactures use cable conduct or cable chase ways in the ceiling.

No direct help but, but maybe some ideas what you are facing. There is far more "open" space for roof holes than danger spots. As I said above I study the roof construction and where things are located and go from there.

Always use a UV resistant self flange roof covering to bring the wire through the roof deck. I see some low cost solutions that use products that I know will bend and warp in years of UV light. Results are highly predictable.

Just a late note on your first question. Glue or screw, it depends on the type of roof construction and roofing material. There is not best answer for every kind of rv roof. Other posters have made very good comments on various roof types.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 02:44 PM   #31
Community Moderator

There're certainly some wires under the skin especially near the a/c units. I just found the old thread for the incident from the panel install that made me scratch my head very hard...

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/on-s...nt-251028.html
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 03:19 PM   #32

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is little good reason to use screws that much longer than the thickness of the roof deck. Keeping them short at least reduces the chance of the screws hitting anything.

If unsure of the thickness, pull off the flange around a 14 x 14 vent of you may be able to see it from there.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-22-2020, 05:21 AM   #33

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
Hard to say for sure where things are in the roof space. Even if you have a diagram. How things are designed and how they are built may vary without warning.

Duct work is almost always in straight runs from the AC units to each vent. Not likely to have plumbing in the ceiling. So you 12 and 120v power plus some other signal cables. Some stud finders can locate 120v wires in most walls. May not do much for low voltage wires.

When I have to drill a roof hole, I study the layout of lights, switches, etc. Cables are typically run in cable bundles or harnesses. Where wires are run varies by manufacture. Some place most of the run near the floor along the wall with branches going up to switches and lights. Others may have larger harnesses in the ceiling. Probably depends highly on roof construction. If foam insulation is bonded to roofing and ceiling materials then probably very few wires in the ceiling. If the roof is an open truss design with fiberglass batting insulation then it is easy to run wire harnesses in the ceiling. Some manufactures use cable conduct or cable chase ways in the ceiling.

No direct help but, but maybe some ideas what you are facing. There is far more "open" space for roof holes than danger spots. As I said above I study the roof construction and where things are located and go from there.

Always use a UV resistant self flange roof covering to bring the wire through the roof deck. I see some low cost solutions that use products that I know will bend and warp in years of UV light. Results are highly predictable.

Just a late note on your first question. Glue or screw, it depends on the type of roof construction and roofing material. There is not best answer for every kind of rv roof. Other posters have made very good comments on various roof types.
Thanks for this. I followed your advice and decided there was a low chance of anything in the area I decided to drill at.

Worked like a charm!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hole.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	286390  
Old 05-22-2020, 06:35 AM   #34

We screwed them down. However, I wish I had put eternabond over each bracket and then screwed. I wasn't pleased with how tight the screws bit into the roof. Didn't give me warm fuzzies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	286393  
Rolling Ragu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:11 AM   #35

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I mounted mine on a EPDM roof layered on 3/8-1/2 plywood, I did the following:

1) With brackets attached to the panel I moved the panels into place and marked where each bracket would mount.

2) Placed a piece of Eternabond over each mounting area for a cushion on the rubber roof.

3) Then ran a generous bead of roof sealant the length of the mount area. The screws picked up some sealant as they were screwed down.

4) moved the panel back into place.

5) Drilled piliot holes for each screw, used SS screws just 1/4" longer than the roof deck thickness.

6) Flooded the entire area around and over each bracket with self leveling sealant.

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	286464

The brackets are made from 1/4" thick 4 x 5" aluminum angle, bolted together with SS bolts. Each bracket is six inches long. Used four SS bolts with safety nuts between bracket and panel and four SS screws to attach the bracket to the roof deck.

In the lower right corner of the image is a cable entry flange for three antenna cables also covered with sealant, exactly like one shown a few posts above.

To get the sealant on the backside of each bracket, I added a length of vinyl tubing on the end of the caulk gun so I could just guide it on easier.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-24-2020, 03:07 PM   #36

Screw it, Glue it, and then silicone caulk it.

Think about it with winds that could reach over 100 mph between your travel speed and them fighting a headwind.

After the screw, glue, the caulking prevents the wind from getting under the mount.
kendall69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:23 PM   #37

You're screw-ed

Got a good laugh out of this one. First anyone asking on a social media group how to do something is asking for more than trouble. Next issue .... thinking that solar tech won't improve often to the point that different size panels come along that you'll want to install which have much more output per sq/in. Next ..... not a single person here aware of what the pros use (hint, not screws or "glue") and next ... Anyone who uses silicone on the exterior of a motor home must love leak-repair as their number 1 hobby. I will not fill in the blanks here because this "advice column" is so off the wall, it's hopeless to provide any true advice in the midst of all the bad suggestions. Plus the majority line of thinking seems to prevail, so it's not worth it. Basically I'll just say to go somewhere else to figure out how to install solar. No screws or silicon. Adhesive on clean surface, yes. The fewer holes in the roof, the fewer leaks you will be fixing.
Don Juane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 03:25 PM   #38

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First I am not an air flow engineer. But, I have spent some time reading about air flow over roof tops. Difficult to find much on it so far.

With that said, air flow over an RV is usually very turbulent. When I designed my roof top solar system one panel was going crosswise near the front edge of the roof. These are 49 x 79" panels. I was much more concerned about a vacuum forming over the top of the top of the panel and not air getting under it. As for the other panels farther back on the roof, trying to determine what air flow might do was way too complex for me, with all of roof top "decorations" we have up there.

We don't seem to hear very much about solar panels flying off RVs, so I assume that reasonable effort seems to do the job. But that's my opinion.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #39
Community Moderator

Certainly some unlucky guys lost their panels on the road. Here's one:

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:04 PM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We do not know very much from this video besides a panel came off. No real idea how it was attached, what the roof deck was made of, who did the work, etc. It appears he had six light weight brackets, perhaps standard Z brackets per panel.

None of us want anything to fly off our roofs or from anywhere on our RVs. I've seen plenty of stuff come off pickups and a few commercial trucks. Another reason I like to leave plenty of space in front of me when I permitted.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-24-2020, 04:14 PM   #41

screw it.
why would one want them to fly off going down the hwy? sure there are some good glues. but nothing that strong, or durable. the the “support” material. will it hold? or just rip apart.
i would like to do solar. but the cost. and i would do a rack system held off the roof about a 1/4-1/2 in. and screwed to every support in the roof.
i would rather go over kill then kill someone if a panel came off on the rd or a high wind event.
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 04:36 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcharsch View Post
17 years ago AM Solar (Eugene, OR) installed our panels using short VHB tape strips on the bottom of the mounting brackets -- about 1" x 3"; no screws. Still holding fast after all these years. I'd go for no holes in the roof!
I’ve heard several others say the same thing.
jcurtisis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scr