Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2018, 07:36 AM   #1

Shocks

I know this has probably been beaten to death allready.
Thinking of changing mine out. I have no idea how old they are but look old.
Drives and handles great. Only going over a raised lip or hole I get a thud sound.
I have a solid front axel on a Gillig chassis with four air bags,most likely not as a plush ride as many of you with ifs.
So for choices it looks like bilstein,Koni or road king.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #2

I just replaced my rear shocks last week. It just seemed like they weren’t working right. Also had a thud noise like you described.
I had no indication looking at the shock while it was installed that it was in this condition.
Pulled the passenger side off looked normal, this is how the drivers side came off.
I went with the koni fsd on the rear.
This came off my 1998 36’ Magna.
As far as brand I have only used the Koni on my previous rv’s , but have been happy with them.
I have no idea what happened to this one, only had the Magna for a few weeks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7E00B8B0-1310-45B9-80BB-432BF78C11EC.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	187633  
moss9994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Road King if you can get them
Old 01-04-2018, 12:59 PM   #4

X2 on Road King. 2nd coach with them and very pleased.
2-Nickels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:53 PM   #5

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by moss9994 View Post
I just replaced my rear shocks last week. It just seemed like they weren’t working right. Also had a thud noise like you described.
I had no indication looking at the shock while it was installed that it was in this condition.
Pulled the passenger side off looked normal, this is how the drivers side came off.
I went with the koni fsd on the rear.
This came off my 1998 36’ Magna.
As far as brand I have only used the Koni on my previous rv’s , but have been happy with them.
I have no idea what happened to this one, only had the Magna for a few weeks.
Some models of CC are known for breaking rear shocks. CC even had limiting straps available as a fix. Cummins in Portland OR broke two of mine, naturally claimed it was that way when delivered to them, but their inspection beforehand and my pictures before and after prove otherwise.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 06:49 PM   #6

I have the original adjustable Koni shocks on a solid front axle.

The ride is fine it seems so I would go back with the same thing next time.

23 years of success perhaps merits a repeat.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #7

I am in the Phoenix area and would consider a dealer that will be full service does not seem to be a options. Leaning towards EV99's.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I have the original adjustable Koni shocks on a solid front axle.

The ride is fine it seems so I would go back with the same thing next time.

23 years of success perhaps merits a repeat.
And of course, your OEM were the SP1 generation, today you would be put to he SP3 generation fo the Koni Adjustable's! (Which, you should also be pleased with.).

On a solid axle coach, which I believe you have, the SP1's will do a fine job. 2003 thru I believe 2005(?), National 'encouraged' CC to use the SP1 on 40' + IFS coaches. And I know for fact, the SP1 set to level 5 setting on a 40' Allure - still porpoised substantially. Roadking's previous generation 2 1/2" solved this well. I also recently tried the new Koni EVO-99's on the front end. They're a good shock, and I had hoped the 'FSD' like functionality would reduce road harshness. They did not seem to help on the road harshness, and were not quite as 'composed' as the 2 1/2" RK's. So I put the now 6-7 year old RK's back on. (Need to dig out those EVO-99's soon, and try again to see them to someone who wants a deal with low mileage EVO's. Just collect dust now!).

Your chassis is way different then my generation chassis... So apples to oranges, but, I do believe my comment about SP3 being an improvement over SP1 generation Adjustable's is valid!

Best to you, and all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 AM   #9

Following the shock threads has been interesting as I searched for front shock replacements. Thanks to Smitty, et al, for exploring some of the options. The Koni EVO series was intriguing but they do not make a model that will fit our front suspension.

I checked with Source Engineering who can customize Bilsteins for specific ride behavior. The problem here is that Bilstein does not make a shock with external dimensions compatible with our front suspension for Source Engineering to customize.

Then I contacted Road King. They wanted to sell a complete, six-shock set and the lead time was "months". Actually I think if I'd have called back and got a different sales rep on the phone I could have gotten two front shocks delivered in a more reasonable time frame. But the "we're-Road King-and-you're-not" attitude of the first person annoyed me and I moved on.

So, to make a long story longer, back to original equipment replacements. The original shock part number stamped on the shock itself is 90 1968SP1. According to Koni the replacement part number is 90 1968- P. With that information I ordered a pair of front shocks from JEG Autoparts and had Premier RV in Junction City install them.

Since we are on our way to Phoenix, the timing is good. I-5 through California's Central Valley, is a good test of shocks and general coach handling. DW and I concur that the new shocks made a significant positive difference and we are very happy with the result. Would the Road Kings have done better? Maybe. But it's hard to imagine how much of an incremental improvement they would produce over these Koni replacements of the original shock. We had the replacement shocks set to the middle of the adjustment range.

The new shocks have significantly attenuated that jarring "bang" produced by "expansion" joints and pot-holes as well as reducing "porpoise-ing".

If we had to do it all over again, we would not change anything. We'll probably do the other two axles on the way home in the spring.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 11:56 AM   #10

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I was able to get the EVO 99's for my front axle. Made a very noticeable difference over the older adjustable Koni's it came with, especially at bridge ends.
The EVO's aren't available for all rigs, not even for my rear and tag.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:10 AM   #11

Shocks

I ordered evos for the front of my 2001 Affinity.but when I got under there to change them the size difference was so great( smaller) I stoped .emailed shock warehouse and can’t get a response.i allso had a bad phone conversation with the people at road king.
Bobhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:49 AM   #12

If you call Koni RV, they can give you the correct part number. Their website Koni RV did not yield the correct part number. However, there's a notice to call them at (866) 566-4175 to confirm the fit for your application. It looks like your coach would use the same shocks as mine but it would be good to call and verify.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 04:00 AM   #13

Shocks

Thanks I’ll call them when we stop tonight.
Bobhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 06:25 AM   #14

I called that Koni number yesterday morning. Gave the girl all my info and she said I have a bus and they supply directly to Gillig.
I then proceeded to tell her it's a rv sitting on a Gillig chassis. She didn't get it so she Transferred my to another extension were no one answered. I left a voice mail. No call back.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks