Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2021, 03:00 PM   #15

My 06 Intrigue 45' still had the original shocks and when I had the chassis serviced they found a drive axle shock broken with the shaft snapped off. They replaced it with a Gabriel without asking, but I intended to replace them all. Last summer while at Premier in OR, I had them replace all of the shocks with Koni's, including EVOs on the front axle. Definitely improved the ride and got rid of the front end bounce, although it is stiffer on rough roads. The important part to note is that per Dave @ Premier, the drive axle shocks need to have a safety strap so that they don't overextend. We have been very pleased with the ride.

As for tire pressures, I have Michelin XZA2s that call for 120 cold. I run my steers at 120 and rears at 110. My tire minder system showed 135 -145 on the steers while driving in 110 degree heat last summer, but the tire temp rarely went above 110 degrees. My tire pro said not to worry, heavily loaded truck tires expand to over 150psi in high heat and are designed to withstand it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2021, 05:20 PM   #16

Your unit is 74 before mine, I just installed Koni's after reading several threads about shocks especially Smitty's comparison Koni's vs Kings quite pleased but haven't put allot of miles on them yet. Thinking about air bags before the old ones give out, do you have the part numbers for your bags? Allure # 30826
dmarrs8585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:19 AM   #17

Yes. Firestone 9336 and 7667 or equivalents. Van Horn Truck parts has them. Mine have been replaced once apparently and the truck tire place that also does air bags inspected and said they are good.
2002 Country Coach Allure 36 #30752, Double Slide
Mainecoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 06:25 AM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfalch View Post
I remember reading somewhere it was suppose to be a ambient temperature of 68 degrees
What you read was wrong, or misleading.
There is no 'right' temperature to check tire pressure. You check them before you start driving for the day - whatever the temperature is at that time.
Old 12-17-2021, 06:34 AM   #19

Check a tire manufacturer for the recommended < tire pressure. Proceeded at your own risk.
2007 Allure 470 Sunset Bay #31535
wfalch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2021, 10:45 AM   #20

Anytime the ride is off, ride height is the first thing to check.

Owned a 02 36’ Intrigue, and found that adjusting the front ride height just a little bit over the recommended setting, would give the optimal ride. Anything under will result in what you describe.

Check ride height with every oil change. Small adjustments make significant changes in ride.
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podivin View Post
What you read was wrong, or misleading.
There is no 'right' temperature to check tire pressure. You check them before you start driving for the day - whatever the temperature is at that time.
I do follow the practice of trying to check my cold, non sun heat gained tires in the 68-72F range when possible. And using my infrared, I adjust my PSI up/down 2 psi, for every 10F + or - from the 70F or so range.

I set tire pressure based upon actual four corner weights (When available! New coach to us, and have not yet had a fully loaded and ready to roll four corner weight yet!), per the Tire Manufactures PSI Load Range Chart.

I do add 10% Contingency, and will round off to the closest 0 or 5 level. (If my math shows say 92PSI is appropriate, and then I add 10% to this to 102PSI, I'll run at 100PSI. If I had a 98PSI as being appropriate, and then 10% to 108PSI I'd run at 110PSI.)

I like the extra 10% contingency, because of both Coach Weight Creep while traveling, and because I personally check my PSI by had monthly, and monitor via TPMS (Adjusted because the TPMS is off a bit, so after setting air pressure manually - I note the TPMS readings for each position.). I usually end up traveling a full year for us, between 10-15K pre Covid years, and a few years at 20K - and never have to bother with the Air Compressor and retooling off the tire pressure. The Michelin's, and one set of Tag's with BF Goodrich due to tire shortages one year, just do not drop much air PSI over this timeframe and traveling.

====

I share this. Because I personally believe that Tire PSI is one of the most important things an owners can do to protect their lives, those around them too, and property. It's not an accident, safety is common sense and a vital step of RV'ing safely.

Roger, Tireman9 on IRV2 - has a very informative site...

https://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/...re%20inflation

Best to all, rubber side down,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 07:47 PM   #22

Thanks Smitty, I always enjoy your comments and know that it took years of experience to offer those words of wisdom!
daveb1256 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shocks