Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-30-2018, 04:27 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
should the chassis battery charge while on shore power?

I am plugged into a 50 amp service right now and have been for two days. The coach batteries have been charged. I needed to move a few feet but when i tried the ignition, the engine wouldn't turn over. I toggled the battery boost rocker switch and the engine cranked great and started.
The question is>>>should the chassis battery be charging when on shore power like the coach batteries? Is there a separate converter for the chassis battery? Is there a procedure to start the chassis battery charging.
Thanks
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If designed properly the chassis battery should be independent of the coach where the coach cannot draw from the chassis. Just like any other car or truck with a working electrical system your MH should be the same where its the alternator that keeps the chassis battery charged. Similarly how often do you need to put a charger on your car or truck battery? Rarely. You might want to have the battery load tested or check and make sure there is nothing draining the battery while the MH is parked.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #3

Some coaches are equipped with a charger that will top off the chassis batteries when plugged in, some are not. My Alpine Coach has a Xantex 2000 Echo charger that keeps the chassis and house batteries topped off.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #4

What happens the last time you stored the MH for 2 or more days.

If its been starting fine, and this is a new issue, you may have a chassis battery or cable problem.

If you have bi-directional charging, the threshold for that to work, is that the house batteries are charging at 13.4 volts or more.

I would clean the chassis battery cables and if still going dead in 2 days, get the batteries tested and determine if something is on, that is drawing them down.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 05:46 PM   #5

This would mean that except for a problem, the chassis drain would not be from any coach function. A list would include the extending steps, headlights and running lights, dash AC and heat fan, ......
With so many coach things running, it's hard to think of any thing chassis related that might be running.
Ah Ha, if the key is removed, not just turned off, there will be no drain on the chassis battery. I am not at the coach right now but I can engender seeing the ignition key in the switch (not turned on). Its presence in the such is enough to extend the steps. What other things would happen as result of the key being in the ignition?
wsmcycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 07:06 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmcycle View Post
This would mean that except for a problem, the chassis drain would not be from any coach function. A list would include the extending steps, headlights and running lights, dash AC and heat fan, ......
With so many coach things running, it's hard to think of any thing chassis related that might be running.
Ah Ha, if the key is removed, not just turned off, there will be no drain on the chassis battery. I am not at the coach right now but I can engender seeing the ignition key in the switch (not turned on). Its presence in the such is enough to extend the steps. What other things would happen as result of the key being in the ignition?
There are parasitic loads on the chassis batteries that can eventually discharge the batteries over time.... evening with when you think everything is shut off. Most of us have some sort of chassis bsttery maintainer like a Trickle Charge, Echo Charge, or similar. They will keep the chassis batteries fully charged when on shore power.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:10 PM   #7
TR4

Quote:
The question is>>>should the chassis battery be charging when on shore power like the coach batteries? Is there a separate converter for the chassis battery? Is there a procedure to start the chassis battery charging.
Thanks
I would check to make sure the fuse in the Eco charger is good. Mine had a loose crimp at the fuse, so the chassis battery was not getting charged on shore power or solar.
Bill
Old 05-30-2018, 07:27 PM   #8

I"m pretty sure you have an Echo Charger or similar on your coach that keeps the engine batteries charged while plugged into shore power. You don't say if the engine batteries are charged and if they are not then check out the Echo Charger. There are 2 inline fuses in the wires for the EC.

If the chassis batteries are charged then I would suspect the cables at the chassis batteries or the wire running to the starter from the batteries. According to the wiring diagram, there is a wire from the batteries to the charger and a wire from the boost solenoid to the starter. If the connections from the chassis batteries to the starter are bad then the connection from the boost solenoid to the starter will power the starter.
2000 Country Coach Magna 40' Indulgence, CAT C10, #5892
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
phays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:02 AM   #9

Quote:
I am plugged into a 50 amp service right now and have been for two days. The coach batteries have been charged. I needed to move a few feet but when i tried the ignition, the engine wouldn't turn over. I toggled the battery boost rocker switch and the engine cranked great and started.
Thanks
The question should be where is the echo charger located on an 05 allure.
There are lights on the echo charger indicating its status.
On my 05 inspire it was located above the chassis battery. on my current rig its located in the electrical bay.
If it has failed i would suggest asking about the magnum replacement. You also could have dirty cables or bad batts since the boost relay is closer to the engine you technically can just start with the boost and no chassis batts at all.
IASM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 06:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by IASM View Post
The question should be where is the echo charger located on an 05 allure.
There are lights on the echo charger indicating its status.
On my 05 inspire it was located above the chassis battery. on my current rig its located in the electrical bay.
If it has failed i would suggest asking about the magnum replacement. You also could have dirty cables or bad batts since the boost relay is closer to the engine you technically can just start with the boost and no chassis batts at all.
Here's the Echo Charge box in our coach. It's in the same compartment as the inverter/chargers.

Your coach is newer and the details may differ but the overall wiring scheme should be similar.

The engine and transmission computers are on all the time and can pull the chassis batteries down. How fast depends on battery age and condition and what other parasitic loads may be present.

FWIW
Dave & Cathy, 2002 Country Coach Affinity, 42', #6103, CAT C12, Sold - Retired From RV'ing, Linux Mint
CoCoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 10:32 AM   #11

If you find the Echo charger tell us what the green light is doing, flashing=bad and steady=good.
Captain Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 01:32 PM   #12

When my echo charger went out I installed the magnum combiner and placed it where I could see it.Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_155312_001.jpeg
Views:	88
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	205104Click image for larger version

Name:	20170523_155250_001.jpeg
Views:	69
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	205105
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #13
TR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
When my echo charger went out I installed the magnum combiner and placed it where I could see it.Attachment 205104Attachment 205105
Thatís a great idea! Theyíre in a place where you canít see them, so you donít know if theyíre working. Just another project....

Bill
Old 05-31-2018, 10:36 PM   #14

Floyd, that is a hokey looking wiring run for the charger

Tags
battery, chassis, power, shore power