Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #1

Shower Drain Hub Removal

Trying to remove the shower drain hub on my 1997 Allure 32 footer.
The hub has been Leaking where the chrome flange meets the shower pan. The chrome hub is attached to a piece of white PVC and the whole assembly is inserted into the ABS drain pipe. So far I have been able to turn the whole assembly counter clockwise but that is all it does ,normally the chrome hub would unthread from the PVC but with years of use it is probably frozen. It appears as though the white PVC pipe was probably inserted into the ABS with some sort of sealer maybe silicone or some thing similar, I have it loose but it does not want to come out and I do not want to get too aggressive and break it.

Has any one had to remove their shower drain hub?

Thanks in advance
Dennis
suzygirl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2019, 03:50 PM   #2

Never seen one that doesn't just screw in. If you have it loosened and have some space between fiberglass and strainer flange clean out and maybe shop vac get some plumbers putty and roll it into a ball to make soft then roll it into a snake for lack of a better term and wrap it around the flange and tighten back down. Do you happen to have a picture?
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:24 PM   #3

The shower drain leaked in my 32 footer when I got it. I had to cut the chrome plated plastic piece off without damaging the threaded lower flange piece. Are you saying the chrome threaded piece is turning along with the flange piece under the floor? I believe mine was all abs under the shower pan. If this is the case not sure how you can fix it from inside the shower as the lower half pulls up against the shower pan when you tighten the top (chrome top). If the whole hub is rotating you may be able to remove the wood piece between the floor and the shower pan to see the piping under the pan. Not much room to cut and repair the pipe and replace the entire hub.also the hub comes with the top and bottom half I had a lot of trouble finding a top piece that had the same thread size that screwed into the bottom flange.
Old 05-14-2019, 08:11 PM   #4

Thanks Mike and Roy for your suggestions. Next time to work on it will be Thursday at which time I will remove the wood panel adjacent to the hall way, this will expose the flexible heating ducts the that run under the shower pan. Once this panel is removed I should be able to see what is interfering with the shower pan hub removal.

Thanks
Dennis
suzygirl2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
One of my Rv's necessitated removing the shower pan to replace the drain.

I re-worked it using a rubber drain adapter and clamps to attach the parts to the main drain. While I was under there I beefed up the floor supports for the pan.

Pretty much like replacing a tub drain in a house. Use caulking under the drain ring inside the shower to prevent leaking.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
removal, shower