Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2022, 11:02 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Snowbird question

Hey folks,

First time going south this winter (southern Nevada) and I have a question for the snowbird vets. It is going to be kind of a ballpark answer type of question given all the variables. What I can say is average temps will be around the low 60ís for highs and low to mid 40ís for lows for for the cold months, question is monthly costs on diesel and power for just an average rv resort?. The resort is Desert Skies in Mesquite NV. if you have an opinion on that throw it in there also..lol! I realize that is a pretty wide open question, but ballpark is all I ask. The usual equipment that most of you have Aqua Hot with one elec. element, floor heat, 3 roof heat/AC pumps, propane cook top.
I am a nervous wreck doing this for the first time for four and a half months, leaving my home state of Idaho where I completely enjoyed outdoor winter activities since a child. But my bones say itís time! I would be more than happy to share any other coach, or location, or any other questions that you may have.

Thanks again,

Stone
Stonefish is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 11:40 AM   #2

Have no info on Mesquite for you... But in general, between heated floors, and a single element AquaHot (Probably the AH450 series.), you should be fine for when cold does dip low. Don't be surprised to see the AC being run a bit too!

With our 04 Allure, with the HydroHot version of the AH450 (Also single element.), and heated floors. We found we could get two navy showers running just off of the electric element. So I'd run the HydroHot about once a month, to exercise it. Very little diesel consumed. (Suggest you top off, to have fuel in case of power outages, so you could run the generator if needed.)

Many parks will charge you for electric usage, when on a month to month basis. We found that having a 1500W, with two lower settings, portable heater. Would keep us warm, and use less electricity then the floor heat. Get it up to temp, and then set it down to the middle setting, and we'd be comfortable down into the mid 40's without effort. So one way to save some electric costs.

If you enjoy star gazing at night, or early sunrises, having a propane fire ring/pit with a 20lb bottle, is a nice thing to have!

Relax, have fun. If this is a Snowbird park, you'll be able to make new friends, and probably have some veterans around to ask questions to...

Have a blast, be safe, and enjoy...
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 01:37 PM   #3

Snowbird

Been doing this going South stuff for about 6 years. Have the same equipment that you do, aquahot, 3 a/cís and floor heat. What I can tell you is expect to spend from $75 to $120 per month for power, most charge .12 per kilowatt hr. What we do is hit the park with a full tank of diesel, and only run the diesel boiler function when taking showers, balance of the time itís on the elect mode. As for heat we use the floor heat at night and if that wonít cut it we turn on two portable electric oil heaters we got from Home Depot, that always does the trick. The biggest thing I would worry about is the hardness of the water. In Vegas we can go 2 weeks on a salt charge in our water softener, in Bullhead City we can only last about a week and a half on the same charge. We have a On The Go double size portable water softener, anytime we are South of Oregon or Idaho that baby is connected. We wish you great fun on your adventure, we too were a little nervous the first time. Now the biggest hassle is just packing the bus for the trip. By the way, always take a picture of the power meter when you arrive as the parks use that reading to calculate your bill, helps keep them honest.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:22 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Have no info on Mesquite for you... But in general, between heated floors, and a single element AquaHot (Probably the AH450 series.), you should be fine for when cold does dip low. Don't be surprised to see the AC being run a bit too!

With our 04 Allure, with the HydroHot version of the AH450 (Also single element.), and heated floors. We found we could get two navy showers running just off of the electric element. So I'd run the HydroHot about once a month, to exercise it. Very little diesel consumed. (Suggest you top off, to have fuel in case of power outages, so you could run the generator if needed.)

Many parks will charge you for electric usage, when on a month to month basis. We found that having a 1500W, with two lower settings, portable heater. Would keep us warm, and use less electricity then the floor heat. Get it up to temp, and then set it down to the middle setting, and we'd be comfortable down into the mid 40's without effort. So one way to save some electric costs.

If you enjoy star gazing at night, or early sunrises, having a propane fire ring/pit with a 20lb bottle, is a nice thing to have!

Relax, have fun. If this is a Snowbird park, you'll be able to make new friends, and probably have some veterans around to ask questions to...

Have a blast, be safe, and enjoy...
Smitty
Thanks for the reply Smitty! Our AH is actually a 525D (yeah, I know) but your advice still applies. We are hoping to make a few friends and just take full advantage of the desert, of which I love, wife not so much. She will come around when she isn't shoveling snow! lol!

Take it easy!
Old 10-04-2022, 04:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CranePrairie View Post
Been doing this going South stuff for about 6 years. Have the same equipment that you do, aquahot, 3 a/cís and floor heat. What I can tell you is expect to spend from $75 to $120 per month for power, most charge .12 per kilowatt hr. What we do is hit the park with a full tank of diesel, and only run the diesel boiler function when taking showers, balance of the time itís on the elect mode. As for heat we use the floor heat at night and if that wonít cut it we turn on two portable electric oil heaters we got from Home Depot, that always does the trick. The biggest thing I would worry about is the hardness of the water. In Vegas we can go 2 weeks on a salt charge in our water softener, in Bullhead City we can only last about a week and a half on the same charge. We have a On The Go double size portable water softener, anytime we are South of Oregon or Idaho that baby is connected. We wish you great fun on your adventure, we too were a little nervous the first time. Now the biggest hassle is just packing the bus for the trip. By the way, always take a picture of the power meter when you arrive as the parks use that reading to calculate your bill, helps keep them honest.
CP,
We have the same OTG softener and yes! you are correct about the hard water around here, and I'm sure south of us also. It is ridiculously hard! I'll save the horror stories, you get it. Packing is a HEADACHE! Taking too much, Taking too little? and on and on. Hope for the best, I guess. Thanks for the reply CP!
Old 10-04-2022, 03:44 PM   #6

We have a lot in Yuma and our electric runs 75-85/month. We do not have heated floors and only use the heat pumps to take the chill off in the mornings.
One thing for sure, get yourself a water softener as the water in your area is pretty hard.
Your wife will like the no shoveling snow thing and not freezing her knickers off either. The desert is an acquired taste so give it a try. Lots of things to do.
Old 10-07-2022, 02:42 PM   #7

Come a little farther south to Quartzsite, AZ.:

In Quartzite region, the BLM has Long Term Visitor Areas (LTVA), Betwen Mexico and I-10 in California and Arizona Region , the BLM have 7 LTVAís from Needles,CA to Yuma/Mexico one may utilize. The fee for the ďSept.15-Apr.15Ēseason (211 days) works out to 0.85 cents a day; water, dump, trash areas provided. If one were to work out the fees for a year through the blowtorch of the summer like I did this year the rate works out to $0.68 a day. Iíd much rather be WAY north of the Arizona blowtorch summer$ from April to Sept. but it has been real nice as far as AZ goes.

SEASON
Sept.15-April 15 season (211 days=$180cash) 85cents a day

April15 to September 15(153days=$70. 45 cents a day.

Add the fall/spring season $180. To
Summer $70. =
$250
September 15 to September 15 ( 365 days = $250 or 68 cents a freaking day for my costs I.e Somewhere to stay over 150,000 square acres where I have water, black and gray water, dump and garbage provided for me . I have a solar, it always sunny here. I donít need anything else. Can, does, will 85cents a day expenses and glorious weather work for you this winter?

NOMADDR
AZNOMADDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bird