Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 05:59 AM   #1

Something you may want to check

Traveling sunday my isl 400 ran hot, had to add water, I could see the coolant dripping but could not tell where it was coming from, long story, li was awful hot outside too, after a couple of fillups we reached our destination.
Found the leak yesterday, the 3/8" rubber tubes running from the surge tank tank acrpdd the top of the engine, were clenched down to the A/C compressor so tight it had worn a hole in one of the lines.
Good part. I repaired it myself, bad part lots of coolant to purchase. Happy travels
mytime is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 06:20 AM   #2

Good find and troubleshooting! You might want to add some chafing gear or fire sleeve to the new hose when you replace...not sure of your configuration though...
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 07:45 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry you had the issue but glad you got it fixed. When we first got this coach, my poking around in the engine bay revealed some small cracks in those hoses and some evidence of high pressure leaks at the connections. So, I replaced all of them with the blue silicone hoses. The hardest part of the job was finding the special clamps you need to use with that type of hose.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:19 PM   #4

Glad you caught it and fixed it before it cause a bigger problem.

I have an annual ritual where get my grub clothes on, and crawl under the coach with my strong flashlight. I just look everything over real good. Follow hoses, metal piping, electrical. Check bushings, bolts, rivets, etc... And note, I do this from below with a crawler, but also check the front generator and rear engine compartment too.

I've made a few finds doing this, and added extra padding or chafing protection.

Finally, as I don't bend like I used to - I also pay an hour of shop rate at the RV Service place I go, for a second set of eyes to look over the tighter areas I can't get into. Par of my yearly major service.

I appreciate your post, and will do a double inspection on those hoses.

Best,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty77 View Post
Glad you caught it and fixed it before it cause a bigger problem.

I have an annual ritual where get my grub clothes on, and crawl under the coach with my strong flashlight. I just look everything over real good. Follow hoses, metal piping, electrical. Check bushings, bolts, rivets, etc... And note, I do this from below with a crawler, but also check the front generator and rear engine compartment too.

I've made a few finds doing this, and added extra padding or chafing protection.

Finally, as I don't bend like I used to - I also pay an hour of shop rate at the RV Service place I go, for a second set of eyes to look over the tighter areas I can't get into. Par of my yearly major service.

I appreciate your post, and will do a double inspection on those hoses.

Best,
Smitty
I also don't get into places I used to when I was younger and more flexible so ask the guys at my local Cummins Coach care to poke around real good when they do my annual service.

My father owned a radiator shop for about 40 years and I worked for him on weekends and during summers. I got real good at sniffing out potential coolant leaks.....I can smell it before it starts leaking