Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2016, 09:50 AM   #1

Speedo issue

I'm trying to fix two issues with my coach. If I tackle these two things everything on my coach will be working as new. My speedo works but reads about 10 mph faster than we are going. I haven't looked into it at all but was wondering how it works and if it is fixable as a diy project. My other issue is with these white lights in the spoiler. Again I have not even looked into it but they don't work. And I $uck at anything electrical.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2016, 01:34 PM   #2

Not sure where the speedometer gets it's signal from mine is dead on. As for the lights first thing I would do is check the fuses and bulbs. Check to see if you ate getting power to the bulb socket. A test light would be my first choice but volt meter will work. Get your ground from a good known source and check for the positive wire power, if it is there check to be sure ground to the lights is good. If you have good bulbs, good ground and no power check at the switch to make sure it is working. Good luck
Old 02-28-2016, 03:52 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
I have the same problem with my speedometer. I haven't looked into it much yet but I'm pretty sure the speedo is driven from the front last wheel/hub on the Gillig chassis. If you haven't ever contacted Giilig directly here is ther info. I've found them to be very helpful.

Gillig: (800) 735-1500
Field Service available from approximately 5:30am-2:30pm PT
Always include last five digits of VIN: 41860
Tech: Bo, bv@gillig.com
Parts: Rick Dominguez, rdominguez@gillig.com

I'd like to know what you find out so please post a follow up if you have any luck. In the meantime, I've been using a Garmin RV GPS for an accurate speed readout. It's also a great over the road tool as you can enter your RV dimensions and weight and it will help prevent poor road choices and avoid low clearance passes, etc.

Country Coach calls the white lights you are referring to"driving lights" on my Concept and I'm guessing it's the same on your Magna. Assuming you have been using this separate switch to operate the driving lights I agree with the suggestions by waternut as the best starting point. I've always felt like Elmer Fudd when it comes to electrical but my short, one year of RV ownership, has presented me with numerous "opportunities" to better understand the electrical complexities that come along with these coaches. That being said, I've also had intermittent issues with the driving lights not working. I'm not 100% certain but I think they turn off when the headlights are switched to high beams. Additionally, I don't know if you have the same Carling brand switches as I do, but when turned on the switch lights up. When my driving lights fail to turn on the switch also does not light up suggestion I may have an intermittent switch. CCC/Winnebago still stocks these switches and they are very easily replaced in my case.

Hope this helps!
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #4

front "left" wheel/hub assembly..
2006 Jeep Wrangler X, Blue Ox Towbar
Rsponsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 05:26 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsponsford View Post
I have the same problem with my speedometer. I haven't looked into it much yet but I'm pretty sure the speedo is driven from the front last wheel/hub on the Gillig chassis. If you haven't ever contacted Giilig directly here is ther info. I've found them to be very helpful.

Gillig: (800) 735-1500
Field Service available from approximately 5:30am-2:30pm PT
Always include last five digits of VIN: 41860
Tech: Bo, bv@gillig.com
Parts: Rick Dominguez, rdominguez@gillig.com

I'd like to know what you find out so please post a follow up if you have any luck. In the meantime, I've been using a Garmin RV GPS for an accurate speed readout. It's also a great over the road tool as you can enter your RV dimensions and weight and it will help prevent poor road choices and avoid low clearance passes, etc.

Country Coach calls the white lights you are referring to"driving lights" on my Concept and I'm guessing it's the same on your Magna. Assuming you have been using this separate switch to operate the driving lights I agree with the suggestions by waternut as the best starting point. I've always felt like Elmer Fudd when it comes to electrical but my short, one year of RV ownership, has presented me with numerous "opportunities" to better understand the electrical complexities that come along with these coaches. That being said, I've also had intermittent issues with the driving lights not working. I'm not 100% certain but I think they turn off when the headlights are switched to high beams. Additionally, I don't know if you have the same Carling brand switches as I do, but when turned on the switch lights up. When my driving lights fail to turn on the switch also does not light up suggestion I may have an intermittent switch. CCC/Winnebago still stocks these switches and they are very easily replaced in my case.

Hope this helps!
Thanks I have spoken to Bo a few times and also had him send me my chassis build sheet when we first purchased our coach for alignment specs.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Freightliner Owners Club
While our Allure is on the Dynomax chassis, my speedometer will also occasionally read 8 - 10 mph faster than actual speed based on my GPS and the Silverleaf. I also get an occasional ABS light so figured there is a wheel sensor issue but the two issues don't seem to come at the same time.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:08 AM   #7

My manual says the Drive Lights, when switched to on, "work in Unison with the High beam headlights". (Whatever that means.)

The revolutions/mile of your current front tires compared to the original tires might have some impact on the speedometer although 10 mph seems like a lot.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 02:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
My manual says the Drive Lights, when switched to on, "work in Unison with the High beam headlights". (Whatever that means.)

The revolutions/mile of your current front tires compared to the original tires might have some impact on the speedometer although 10 mph seems like a lot.

Thanks Dean, I guess their is nothing wrong with my drive lights. I guess I should have read my manual. Works just as you stated drive lights come on with high beams. As far as the speedo goes the coach brochure and build sheet says it was suppose to come with 275/70/22.5 tires and that is the same tires I have on it now. I think I will just continue to use the gps for speed.