Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2016, 12:58 PM   #1

Static shock on battery bay door

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1482954481.138753.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	147646

I am in the process of buffing and waxing my 02 Intrigue. Got to the back battery bay door and started to receive a slight static shock on the foam pads.

Not so bad when I was using the buffer, but when I got to putting the wax on by hand with a small applicator pad it got pretty bad as I was feeling it in my hand. It's only on that door.

Is this normal or may I have a bad ground somewhere? The house batteries are old 6/10. I will be replacing them soon as I am adding water now every three weeks just sitting in storage and plugged into a 110.

Brett

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
bneukam is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2016, 01:10 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You aren't getting a "static shock", you are getting voltage through the ground somewhere. Very dangerous condition that needs to be fixed. They sometimes call it a "hot skin" condition.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:33 PM   #3

Do you have a support strut that could be touching a battery post when closed ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:38 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I would look into the AC side of things if you're getting a shock. Unless, the buffing is causing some sort of static build up because it's so dry out. I think the "hot skin" mentioned is typically AC.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:39 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Do you have a support strut that could be touching a battery post when closed ?
unlikely as that would be a dead short and you would have a lot more wrong than a little static electricity
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
You aren't getting a "static shock", you are getting voltage through the ground somewhere. Very dangerous condition that needs to be fixed. They sometimes call it a "hot skin" condition.
Are you referencing the 120V side of things?
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
unlikely as that would be a dead short and you would have a lot more wrong than a little static electricity
Sure it's unlikely !

But getting shocks only on the BATTERY DOOR is unlikely too.

Dead short thru a spring loaded gas strut with plastic ends on a hindged door. Not likely.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #8

I did try unplugging it from the outlet, and it did not change the level of static I am getting. Both main switches are off.

It has been pretty cold (single digits) here in Boise, but like I mentioned earlier I am only getting it from this door. It's stored inside at 65 degrees.

Even as I am wiping off the wax I can go down the whole side with my terry cloth rag and get no static, as soon as I hit that door i can hear it but not feel it.

Old 12-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #9

Twinboat,
Thanks for your help. I don't see any possibility that anything could be touching the post when closed.

The batteries do have quite a bit of discharge on top. Adding fluid every few weeks. This is something that has just started. They usually stay pretty dry on top. Will be replacing soon. Not sure if this is causing my issues.

Old 12-28-2016, 03:03 PM   #10

Brett,

From your pics it looks like you have regular 12v wet cell. My intrigue came with 8d. I replaced those at delivery with AGM. just put the replacement set this summer before departing Boise. Got a smoking deal on lifeline. If interested, give me a pm and I'll send you the details.

Tom
CC Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Driver View Post
Brett,

From your pics it looks like you have regular 12v wet cell. My intrigue came with 8d. I replaced those at delivery with AGM. just put the replacement set this summer before departing Boise. Got a smoking deal on lifeline. If interested, give me a pm and I'll send you the details.

Tom
Tom, they are the 6v golf cart batteries from costco.
I sent you a PM.
Thanks
Old 12-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
I just took a look at my battery compartment. I see no way that there could be an electrical charge on the door because it is fiberglass. The kind of batteries would make no difference either. The only way I can see that there would be a possibility of a shock is if you were touching the aluminum hinge. If that is is happening, it could be a DC or AC leakage
Old 12-29-2016, 11:50 AM   #13

Arrived back at the shop this morning, and wiped my hand across that door and it had accumulated quite a bit of fine dust overnight.
Not sure if it had something in the paint that I buffed out to the surface. I did get more dirt out of the paint on that door than anywhere else on the coach.
Maybe being the first panel behind the rear tires had picked up more road grime and had reacted to the buffing process.

Old 12-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #14

i had some wire nuts burn up in my inverter, it caused all kinds of issues. Not sure if a bare connector could lay against the case and cause the symptom that you are having, but its something to look at.
John Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, door