Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #1

Stop Engine Warning light

I have a 2000 CC Allure with the Cummins 330 engine when I start the engine and it is cold below freezing the engine warning symbol will light up soon followed by a flashing stop engine. If I shut it off and restart the engine the warnings will disappear. I let it continue to run for a minute and the engine auto shutdown. The only thing I can think of is that the oil is cold and not building oil pressure fast enough to prevent a warning. The engine has 40,000 miles on it. Has anyone else experienced this who live in a cold climate? Thank's
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you using your engine preheater when the weather is really cold? You should have either an electric block heater or an engine pre heat function on your hydronic heating system.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:39 AM   #3

It is NOT cold oil. Think of all the diesel engines in the world that start in freezing weather. The oil pressure should be high after a cold start.

Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Is it reading zero?

You could have low coolant that expands when warmer and stops the shutdown fault.

In any case it is not a good idea to keep starting an engine that tells you to shut it down, with out investigating the cause.

Good Luck
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

If you have a Silver Leaf look at the diagnostic screen that may give you some idea what's going on.
pumper9x9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2014, 02:16 PM   #5

Check your coolant level and make sure you can see it in the sight glass. Low coolant will cause the motor to shut down just like you are experiencing.
Old 12-28-2014, 09:21 AM   #6

Will investigate further and check coolant level. that could be it!
Old 12-29-2014, 12:21 PM   #7

I have an 04 Allure that I purchased from a private seller. I'm a total RV novice and this is my first so each time he or I started the RV in normal weather I had the same issue and had a low coolant warning light as well as a coolant temp. sensor warning on the Silverleaf. He told me it's always done this and was just a big diesel and needed to warm the oil up.I took it into my Cummins dealer and they found a small coolant leak that was $600 in labor and $35 in parts. I never did get a clear understanding of where and what it was, but no more leaks and she fires up like a champ and no more warning lights or shut downs.
Michaeljsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 09:11 PM   #8

I always ask to see the old parts removed
Old 12-30-2014, 09:47 AM   #9

We have an 04 allure and we had the same problem. It was a leak in the pump but for us it stayed fluid all over my car as I was driving behind the coach. By the time we got to myrtle beach all systems shut down. We are newbies too. We finally got to a cummins dealer and they replaced the pump. That was after we broke down on the road because the quick fix of a new clamp broke .
The pump and labor came to about 1700.00. Sigh. But it's good to go now . Except now we have a dead chassis battery. Glad we are in one spot for a few months to recoup!
swedegis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 07:22 PM   #10

Checked my coolant level and it was below the sight glass when engine cold. So have it topped off now. When running and warm the sight glass was covered. I'm suspecting that this was the problem although I haven't started it in cold weather yet. There is some spotting on back of home that may be coolant spatter although I can see no leaks. Possible it may be blowing out the overflow tube which may be caused by bad cap! Engine temp has been running at 180.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:49 PM   #11

If your motor is running at 180, you have a fan controller problem. You should be seeing 195 on the temp gauge. Do you notice a lot of fan noise when leaving a campground or do you have the "dust cloud" following you while on dusty roads?
Old 12-31-2014, 10:12 AM   #12

Started the home this morning in Golden Valley AZ at 24 degree's with no warnings so I think it was running a little low on coolant as replies indicated. I have a pretty stead temp reading of 180 degrees on Dash gage even when pulling grades with 7000 pounds in tow. I think the fan is doing it's job. Thanks again. I will be watching coolant level to determine if I am losing coolant. Thanks again for replies.
Old 12-31-2014, 11:42 AM   #13

Once again, you have a fan controller problem. You should be at 195, not 180. 180 is to cold for max engine efficiency. But if your happy...
Old 12-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Once again, you have a fan controller problem. You should be at 195, not 180. 180 is to cold for max engine efficiency. But if your happy...
Interesting range.

My CC Manual indicates 170 to 195 degrees is normal with the 300hp C8.3L mechanical Cummins.

Perhaps the electronic engines run warmer?
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote