Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 01:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
I assume you have diesel generator. It does not require electricity to run once its engine is started.
True that a diesel doesn't need 12 volts to run, nor does a gas lawn mower engine, unless it needs 12 volts to hold the fuel shutoff solenoid open and run the safety shutdown system.

Otherwise it would run until it overheated and seized.

The way I read it, the OP is running the generator for power. After the battery, that started it and is running the controls dies, the generator shuts off for lack of 12 volts. That's why the mobile guy said to run the main engine to charge the batteries when they get low.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 02:25 PM   #16

This is wonderful input from everyone. We are now plugged at the only RV park thatch has power in the,Ocala, FL area. Hope to get the first good night's sleep in 6 nights, then problem solve tomorrow under awning and out of hot sun. I have
a Heart Freedom 20 inverter. Recently replaced the transfer switch. Three 8D batteries load tested fine shortly before departure. Mobil wrench earned my respect while,we stayed at his rural site after storm, but he can't be expe cted to know unique features of every coach as you all know.

We managed to get a rental car and flee to Tallahasse. Leaving rig with him through storm. Ocala area got hit very badly. His Mobil home almost didn't stay together so three people survived the night in my sturdy Country Coach with my permission. Water through window shorted out Allison circuit board but he got it rebooted to move away from trees that later came down where it had been parked. We replaced board and it now shifts fine.

Have a few scratches on driver side. Thought about trying to fix them, but.decided instead
to get professional lettering noting that three people, one due in a .month, survived Irma in this CC.

It is hard to describe the comfort from knowing the help available from all of you here.
Qwimby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
Community Moderator

your coach is a 97 allure, you didn't say the specs about the genset, i am guessing it's a powertech 7000.

if true, this genset uses kobota diesel engine, a good one. it runs on a fixed 1800 rpm - through gears makes it output 60 hz.

the engine self does not rely on 12v to run once it starts up. but, the genset as whole does require 12vdc to be present - fuel cutoff valve, control board and remote switch, etc.

follow all of those suggestions, step by step, you will get it.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:57 PM   #18

It is a Powertech 7000. Heart Freedom 20 inverter. When I get the awning down and some shade over the bay tomorrow I'll check all the settings. At least now
I know the alternator should be putting out properly.
Old 09-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #19

Lost all AC outlets tonivht while plugged in at rv
park. Air stopped briefly but came back and running so far. GFI popped and won't reset. See no popped breakers anywhere. New alternator now shows only 12 volts, down from 13 when first installd but does
charge batteriez. Sure hope we have air through nite

Alld
Old 09-15-2017, 07:55 AM   #20

Country Coach Owners Club
You certainly are having a lousy time during a tense evacuation.

If you rely on the wiring diagram for the 120vac (mine is below from a '98 Allure), what is the common thread to your problems of 120vac dropping at outlets and a/c, and lack of 120vac to inverter to charge your house batteries? My guess is the transfer switch or main panel. All 120vac, whether from genny or shore connection goes through those two items. Remember, the simplest solution is usually the answer. (Occam's razor)

You said the transfer switch was replaced recently, but was it done professionally?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture120VAC.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	215.9 KB
ID:	176675  
Old 09-15-2017, 08:29 AM   #21

It was installed by a pro. Someone is bringing me s new GFI. Can anyone advise if it should be 15 or 20?
I have been running with inverter off which was probably a mistake. Reason is while running genset for power, all ac outlets got very hot. Cooled off when inverter turned off.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:33 AM   #22

Country Coach Owners Club
Again, please look at your 120 VAC diagram. Where is the GFI located on yours? For mine, the GFI is not in the same circuit as the A/Cs. I think you're taking the wrong course of action if the GFI is not on the same circuit.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:54 AM   #23
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwimby1 View Post
It was installed by a pro. Someone is bringing me s new GFI. Can anyone advise if it should be 15 or 20?
I have been running with inverter off which was probably a mistake. Reason is while running genset for power, all ac outlets got very hot. Cooled off when inverter turned off.
gfci is 20a. big box stores have it for about $20. just so you know, this gfci is only relevent to interior wall outlets, not affacting microwave and a/cs.

when you run genset, regardless the inverter is on or off, there should be no effect to 120v power at wall outlets. a working ats will just pass it through. when no load on any wall outlet, it should never be hot. no load = no current flow = no heat.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Are your batteries still be charged if the freedom is turned off?

It looks like you could plug an extension cord into the microwave outlet for your separate battery charger and leave the freedom off if you need to while troubleshooting.
Agree, the GFCI seems to be on the inverter output side.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:21 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltcolmac17 View Post
Again, please look at your 120 VAC diagram. Where is the GFI located on yours? For mine, the GFI is not in the same circuit as the A/Cs. I think you're taking the wrong course of action if the GFI is not on the same circuit.
Very much appreciate diagram.tha
Can't read it well on small screen. Will try to go to park office for computer. GFI in not on same circuit as a/cs. Only things affected are wall outlets. Need wall outlets for other reason too lengthy to explain here.

Thanks again
Old 09-15-2017, 09:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryFit View Post
gfci is 20a. big box stores have it for about $20. just so you know, this gfci is only relevent to interior wall outlets, not affacting microwave and a/cs.

when you run genset, regardless the inverter is on or off, there should be no effect to 120v power at wall outlets. a working ats will just pass it through. when no load on any wall outlet, it should never be hot. no load = no current flow = no heat.
Mystery to me. Wall outlets almost too hot to touch till I turned off inverter. Then cooled quickly.

Optimistic that we can make 6 hour run home tomorrow. Alternator appears to be working properly and dash air will be adequate. We'll be OK unless rig quits and we need generator for air.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:23 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Wall outlets too hot to touch!!!??
That is a huge red flag!
GFI won't reset?
It's probably doing its job.

Your rig just went through a hurricane.
Things ,including some hidden wiring ,probably got wet or soaked.

Drive it home and don't use any 110 power along the way and let it dry out .

Bob

Bob
the trainguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 04:23 AM   #28

Power out again in middle of night while plugged in at cg. Have 110 arr conditioner running but it kicks off whenever I touch anything 12 volt. Looks like 12 volt drained completely. Have battery charger plugged in at post but cant get it to work, so will try to get a jump in the morning and charge with alternator. Stupidly turned off inverter/charger in night before this happened, probably causing 12 volt drain. Looks like shore power will charge 12 volt even though generator won't. Don't know if that eliminates transfer switch. Left in a rush and have no tools or test meter.

Tags
electric, electrical