Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2021, 04:49 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Sun Shade for Windshield

In our 2003 Allure, we have a split windshield and the sides of the glass return 90 degrees to help with visibility. Great concept, but challenging to think about installing a power (or manual) sunscreen or shade to replace the current curtains we have.

The curtains work well, but where we park a lot in the summer, the sun is beating down into the windshield, and closing the curtains blocks our view. I would love a sunscreen but can't seem to figure out how to install one (MCD or other manufacturers).

My thought was to order a screen that we could fasten with velcro or snaps to use instead of the curtains (not remove the curtains) during the summer in the application I mentioned above.

Has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Thanks!
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2021, 07:58 AM   #2

John - We had zero problems with our 04 Allure, built early in the 04 production model line - so content wise it's a hybrid between 03 & 04! To to a time constraint on lead-times, we went with Automation Shades. Both the See Thru and Black Out. Worked great for the 6-7 years we owned the coach.

If you do not yet have an external windscreen cover - they really help reduce the heat gain thru the windscreen. And it was strange to us, but we were advised that Black was better then Lighter Colors...

All that being said, and yep it will totally block your view, I've seen owner's that will get the silver buble wrap, cut to shape and double them into two layers, and set them up on the dash. Then rolled them up when not in use, and a few placed them on the shelf in the closet for storage.

Best of luck to you,
Smitty

Former owner of 04 Allure 40' High Cascade (A fine machine she was, and is!)
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:18 AM   #3

Take a look at Magna Shade for the outside.
RV-LEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2021, 09:26 AM   #4

I've seen a couple of owners of CCs the same vintage as ours and yours that added a roller shade for the windshield and in order to make the setup relatively "light proof" on the sides, because of our "wrap around" style windshield, they had wood valences added to the sides. That affects that nice visibility you mentioned. We've decided to stick with our curtains.

We do have external snap-on windshield, driver window, and door window covers made by Wade RV (see RV Products). A previous owner had the snaps installed and the covers made and they work great and we are super happy we have them. The dark, heavy, coated nylon shade screens really help block out the sun but let us still have a nice view out. As Smitty said, using a dark color makes the view out much better, we don't really notice we're looking through a screen.

MagneShade (https://magneshade.com/products/) is another popular choice for external screens that don't require having snaps on your coach.
Old 04-23-2021, 09:56 AM   #5

I put Shade Pro Legacy electric shades on my front windows. I had to notch the front cabinet to make it fit the way I wanted. I have the Magnea Shade for the outside. Good Luck, Happy Travels
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InkedIMG_6295_LI.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	326039  
Old 04-23-2021, 10:33 PM   #6

Dave made a valid point about the 'compromise' of the driver's and entry door shades 'boxes' impacting the view out of the upper windows. The timing for us was just right, as my DW had all of our window valances down in a refinishing fabric refresh. So we had simple boxes made, and she used the same fabric for the drivers and side doors manual pull down shades. From memory ~5" deep and in height. Which when sitting in the two front chairs, probably resulted in less then 2 1/2" of upwards visibility. Somewhat retainable, by leaning either Left or Right - depending upon the chair and window involved...

To my DW and I, neither side awning boxes were a problem. Well, I did have to remember to bend my head down a tad going out the door, if wearing a ball cap hat!

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 10:53 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Sun screen really helps. 3 pieces (for windshield, driver side window and the door glass) cut down UV drastically but still allow your looking out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_093232.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	326155   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210424_093251.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	374.1 KB
ID:	326156  

CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2021, 11:56 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Wow, thank you all for such great information. For some reason, I've never seen an exterior screen like these, and I've already ordered one for our coach this morning! Ha!

They gave me options for the screen fabric color (I chose black per Smitty) and then something called a "binding" and there were options for that color as well. I just chose black as well. I could not find anywhere on their site that explained what the binding was.

Again, thanks for the great help!

JG
2003 CC Allure 36’ First Ave. #30914
Gatesway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 11:12 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatesway View Post
I could not find anywhere on their site that explained what the binding was.
You want the binding. It's the softer fabric around the edge (you can see it in CountryFit's close-up picture) that protects the edge of the screen fabric from getting damaged and from possibly damaging your coach's paint.

Enjoy your new shade screens, they make a big difference!

Tags
wind, windshield