Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Country Coach Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Sunbrella canvas

Does anyone know if the canvas is still available for the slide toppers? It's the Carefree system that is a topper and window awning.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2014, 02:27 PM   #2

You can contact Ray at Tuff Toppers they can make a replacement for your unit
look up RV Geeks on Youtube they have all the info Capt'nCrunch
captncrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Highly recommend Stone Vos in Brooksville FL. Chris will make your topper from acrylic fabric far superior to the Carefree fabric. His prices are reasonable and he will ship to you.

StoneVos.com
Old 07-15-2014, 09:53 PM   #4

From my own personal experience with boats and RVs I would stick with sunbrella. Our 12 year old coach has red sunbrella and stick in very good condition. Our last sailboat had sunbrella. Very durable.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 PM   #5
KIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Highly recommend Stone Vos in Brooksville FL. Chris will make your topper from acrylic fabric far superior to the Carefree fabric. His prices are reasonable and he will ship to you.

StoneVos.com
x2 Stone Vos makes EXCELLENT toppers
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:54 PM   #6

bluegrassrv,

The quick answer is YES. And you actually have two paths if you are a Do It Yourselfer.

Carfree used the basic 46" sunbrella fabric in their slide toppers. The weak point of these toppers is the stitching, not the fabric. If your stitching is still good on the top of the topper but the fabric is faded you have the option of removing the existing fabric, reversing the retainer plastic/nylon rods and re-installing the fabric with the "new" side out. You may need to replace the exposed retainer nylon rod if it is as brittle as mine was. You have this option since you have only been exposing half of the existing fabric on the roll. The other half that is still on the roll is as good as new. Carefree has instructions on how to lock the spring on their website. Once you have the spring locked you remove the right end of the tube to remove the fabric. I made a jig out of plastic pipe to hold the "open" end up with the mounted end while I removed the fabric. (I can explain further if you decide to do it yourself.)

My stitching was bad so I opted to get a replacement but I did not like any of the Carefree offerings so I opted to go with sunbrella. Go to any commercial awning shop that carries sunbrella fabric. You can find an IDENTICAL match to your existing fabric. Then you just have them make replacement toppers for you. It is less expensive than the mail order topper shops, and you have an exact replacement. If you do not want to do it yourself, the awning company will probably be happy to do the job for you. They know how to do this.

Then too, you have this company that seems to get a lot of good reviews.

It would be interesting to know what you decide.

Bob.
Bob&AnnaMari is offline   Reply With Quote